etihad now a double of old Trafford

Atléti are currently playing at home and beating a side of a similar stature to Fulham 1-0. The atmosphere isn't spectacular (it doesn't have to be really) but its good and there's rarely a moment of silence.

southstander93 said:
Just sell all of the tickets for that stand, say 4000 or whatever it would be, without assigned seats. You can only get in with a ticket, but can stand where you want on the terrace. That way there wouldn't be a crush because it wouldn't be over capacity.

That's the thing though. There could potentially be a crush even at a half-capacity ground. All it really needs is about 5-6 "rows" of people so that those at the back can't tell that those at the front are being crushed. Forget 4,000 being fine, you could potentially have a still-fatal "mini-crush" with only a few hundred - take for example how the Arsenal fans are climbing over each other in that old gif when Adebayor scored against them in the 4-2, but it's only a handful of rows that are doing that.

It may never happen, but the problem is that the authorities won't settle for "may", they will only settle for a 0% chance. Safe standing could only be satisfactory to the authorities if planned excruciatingly carefully to make it impossible for fans to move forward. I'm not saying that I think we should give up, but I do think that the days of "old school" terracing are never coming back.

Jonny68 said:
Completely agree with the op here i am in block 116 and the atmosphere was embarrassing yesterday, seems to be getting worse and worse in the games we are expecting to win. A few chants got started but just fizzled out before they could get going. We were shouting over to the blues who were in 115 to stand up and get involved, a few kind of got up and made a bit of noise but most just sat down and didn't really seem interested.

As I said before, some of us in 115 were trying to get the others there to stand up and sing but the problem was that the stands either side of Fulham's support were the ones they returned, so they were mainly filled with those attending a game as a bit of a treat, a one-off - the type of people who aren't used enough to the atmosphere of a live game to actually sing themselves. IMO the club should've sold one of the 3 away stands on the side first rather than the one in the middle, because it meant that the returned tickets formed a no-man's land on both sides where they could've arranged it for the away fans to be next to our diehards on one side or the other (at the cost of an even greater no man's land on the other side, I guess). That, or I guess in an ideal world they would find a way of moving the singing sections into those returned seats just for the one game, but that would be a logistical nightmare.

Falastur said:
southstander93 said:
Just sell all of the tickets for that stand, say 4000 or whatever it would be, without assigned seats. You can only get in with a ticket, but can stand where you want on the terrace. That way there wouldn't be a crush because it wouldn't be over capacity.

That's the thing though. There could potentially be a crush even at a half-capacity ground. All it really needs is about 5-6 "rows" of people so that those at the back can't tell that those at the front are being crushed. Forget 4,000 being fine, you could potentially have a still-fatal "mini-crush" with only a few hundred - take for example how the Arsenal fans are climbing over each other in that old gif when Adebayor scored against them in the 4-2, but it's only a handful of rows that are doing that.

It may never happen, but the problem is that the authorities won't settle for "may", they will only settle for a 0% chance. Safe standing could only be satisfactory to the authorities if planned excruciatingly carefully to make it impossible for fans to move forward. I'm not saying that I think we should give up, but I do think that the days of "old school" terracing are never coming back.
But there wouldn't be a surge due to the rails. It isn't possible for people to surge forward with a rail in the way of them. If this was the case, people at Dortmund would be dying every week because they pack 25000 people into their standing terrace. Without rails, it could be dangerous, but the new safe standing model isn't like that.

Jonny68 said:
Completely agree with the op here i am in block 116 and the atmosphere was embarrassing yesterday, seems to be getting worse and worse in the games we are expecting to win. A few chants got started but just fizzled out before they could get going. We were shouting over to the blues who were in 115 to stand up and get involved, a few kind of got up and made a bit of noise but most just sat down and didn't really seem interested.

At the end of the day it's down to us and only us that go week in week out to sort it out. Obviously rules and regulations and more middle class types at games have played their part but for me it's more the general attitude of the English, just can't be arsed to get up and make a bit of noise. Makes me laugh how we look at European fans who come over in amazement when all they are really doing is singing and getting behind their team.. (eg. Poznan, Dortmund, Aris) is a drab experience at our place at times considering the success we are now seeing on the pitch and i would say we are definitely heading in the direction of the swamp dwellers over in Trafford and it really breaks my heart to say that.

Lets all do the Poznan, Lets all do the Poznan ......

One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be fans of lower league clubs coming to watch us now and then. Not City fans but football fans who want to watch the champions.

These people will never get behind us as supporters so don't expect them to.

Just watching mali vs niger and the ground is nearly empty but plenty of noise cause of drums and them bloody trumpets....

Maybe the club should issue seasoncard holders with african musical instruments!

Give me the drama and suspense of a close or important game with highs lows, spontaneous British way of supporting teams, over the constant din that sections of the continental crowd seem to prefer, it's a nice spectacal to see now again,but not week in week out they're a bit sad really with their painted faces and bloody instruments.

The way the crowd supported zab was brilliant, that may not have been possible with thousands of grown men and women jumping about and chanting without pauses and not reflecting the game.

I think it was a fairly drab game with little excitement and this was reflected by the crowd, and much of this season has been like this. The games with best atmosphere and most singing have been the ones we can lose.

I remembr a BD fan on here stating they don't often sing the players names in Germany. They would much rather sing about the club and their rivals.

I'm 100% sure PL players in general love the chants associated with them.

Zab was a prime example yesterday. 47,000 fans applauding him off and 1000's chanting his name.

mancityvstoke said:
One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be fans of lower league clubs coming to watch us now and then. Not City fans but football fans who want to watch the champions.

These people will never get behind us as supporters so don't expect them to.

Are they glory hunters or tourists and do they come from Manchester

the first 4 rows of the family stand are sold to any tom dick and harry, all group outings and generally all a pain in the arse, and this has been the case all season.

screaming kids wanting an uninterested player to wave to them, absolutely gripping.

i wonder where they get their tickets from, they certainly are not members of any description.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.