EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting point was raised in one of the recent debates.

Given the unease about the EU in Europe in general. What would happen if we voted to remain, then after the forthcoming elections in Germany and France, they held referendums and voted to leave. We, good old Britainwould be left supporting the broken economies of Southern and Eastern Europe. Unlikely I know but not impossible.

Given the unease about the EU in Europe in general. What would happen if we voted to remain, then after the forthcoming elections in Germany and France, they held referendums and voted to leave. We, good old Britainwould be left supporting the broken economies of Southern and Eastern Europe. Unlikely I know but not impossible.

I'd personally laugh my arse off, I hope it happens.

European army, who'd of guessed it? Cameron tearing apart our forces for years, it all comes togethor now. I hate that ****.
Indeed. With the French leading the charge against the filthy aggressors in tanks that conk out after 5 miles because all the fucking
petrol stations are on strike. Germans feel guilty for their past nastiness, so tend to let the Brits do all the dirty work in recent conflicts, the Italians
only have reverse gear on their tanks, The Spanish won't fight in the afternoon as it's kip time, and the rest are too skint to scrape up the price of a catapult.
Sleep easy ;-)

we would have another referendum and either vote to leave or stay in

Precisely we will never know how many votes are lost to this which is the point being made. Thank you!

no it wasn't, go and re-read your post

I really don't think turnout will be that high in Scotland - I sense some apathy by many voters there and they don't seem to be anywhere near engaged in this as they were for their indy ref - many seem to be working out various calculations on what outcome their vote could trigger another indy ref - Gibraltar is the only block that I know of that will be a slam dunk for remain at around 90%

This got me thinking. To this point I have been somewhat 'assuming' that Scotland will be a solid in vote - but I wonder if those that are most keen on Scottish Independence could vote 'tactically'?

If they wanted to secure a repeat referendum in Scotland - the easiest way is for there to be a Brexit vote.

Last edited:
I've heard this said a number of times and it needs consideration although it won't change any minds. Personally I think the opposite will happen. Apart from a reversal of Cameron's concession on benefit payments which they have to reject because it goes against Treaty law and they won't allow any of the member states to meddle with the Treaties. It would bring the whole thing crashing down. So they will wait until after we have voted to remain and then reverse the concession. So apart from that initial kick up the arse I think they will treat us with kid gloves because they must be aware that UKIP could possibly gain influence at our next general election (pretty obvious isn't it) and UKIP will hark back to any vindictiveness to strengthen their argument next time around. UKIP have been a thorn in the side of the EP and they won't want to give ANY cause for them to increase in numbers (if they can) or have any further influence in Westminster. That's my take on it. I actually think they will be shit scared to upset us any more.

I agree I think uk leaving would be an utter disaster for the Eu countries as there are so many fragile economies in the eu and they would love to leave if they could. I actually think if vote leave wins the right outcome would be that would be a catalyst for a new Europe based on cooperation not coercion and one where the economic benefits of a single market work for all not just Germany and France. In order to go forwards you need to reject where it is now. Only then will people actually listen and do something about it and we can start again based on a fairer system. Voting in just gives the mandate to closer political integration and more powers moving away from he uk to Brussels ( which really means the Franco German alliance)[/QUOTE]

This I fully agree with but it brings home the level of contempt that the UK is held by the EU leaders.

A leave vote could trigger the collapse of the EU as it is currently constituted - makes you wonder why they gave us the sq root of fuck all in those 'important negotiations'

I agree I think uk leaving would be an utter disaster for the Eu countries as there are so many fragile economies in the eu and they would love to leave if they could. I actually think if vote leave wins the right outcome would be that would be a catalyst for a new Europe based on cooperation not coercion and one where the economic benefits of a single market work for all not just Germany and France. In order to go forwards you need to reject where it is now. Only then will people actually listen and do something about it and we can start again based on a fairer system. Voting in just gives the mandate to closer political integration and more powers moving away from he uk to Brussels ( which really means the Franco German alliance)

This I fully agree with but it brings home the level of contempt that the UK is held by the EU leaders.

A leave vote could trigger the collapse of the EU as it is currently constituted - makes you wonder why they gave us the sq root of fuck all in those 'important negotiations'[/QUOTE]

I know but I don't want to see the collapse of countries which I really love in Southern Europe so am hoping we vote leave , then there is a renegotiation and a sensible democratic economic cooperation pact across Europe. At the moment it's not working for us and it's not working for those countries. Germany and France have always been at each other for centuries and the Eu was designed to keep them peaceful. It's done that but the price is now too much for the rest of Europe including us.

A leave vote could trigger the collapse of the EU as it is currently constituted - makes you wonder why they gave us the sq root of fuck all in those 'important negotiations'

I know but I don't want to see the collapse of countries which I really love in Southern Europe so am hoping we vote leave , then there is a renegotiation and a sensible democratic economic cooperation pact across Europe. At the moment it's not working for us and it's not working for those countries. Germany and France have always been at each other for centuries and the Eu was designed to keep them peaceful. It's done that but the price is now too much for the rest of Europe including us.[/QUOTE]
The chance of us voting to leave and the response of the EU being 'ok now bugger off', as is being implied by the Remain side is zero. There would follow a serious negotiation of the UKs place in the EU and if they were to offer us significant concesssions to stay I see no reason why that couldn't be put back to the British people in a second referendum.

[QUOTE="hgblue,
The chance of us voting to leave and the response of the EU being 'ok now bugger off', as is being implied by the Remain side is zero. There would follow a serious negotiation of the UKs place in the EU and if they were to offer us significant concesssions to stay I see no reason why that couldn't be put back to the British people in a second referendum.[/QUOTE]

That would mean altering the existing Treaties and that is never going to happen, it can't, it would mean the end of the Union.

I know but I don't want to see the collapse of countries which I really love in Southern Europe so am hoping we vote leave , then there is a renegotiation and a sensible democratic economic cooperation pact across Europe. At the moment it's not working for us and it's not working for those countries. Germany and France have always been at each other for centuries and the Eu was designed to keep them peaceful. It's done that but the price is now too much for the rest of Europe including us.
The chance of us voting to leave and the response of the EU being 'ok now bugger off', as is being implied by the Remain side is zero. There would follow a serious negotiation of the UKs place in the EU and if they were to offer us significant concesssions to stay I see no reason why that couldn't be put back to the British people in a second referendum.[/QUOTE]

THe second referendum would only happen if there were a failure to negotiate a deal. IF the June referendum is to leave, the PM wouldn't have a manadate to negotiate better terms to stay in, and just wouldn't be allowed by the Leavers to even try. HE or she would be out on their ear the moment they even suggested the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.