EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There won't be a second referendum if the first doesn't go their way, it sounds preposterous ! You cannot offer a referendum then ignore the will of the people.

Presumably once the government has concluded negotiations with the EU to agree the relationship post Brexit, those arrangements would have to be ratified by parliament? The referendum result wouldn't give the PM a blank cheque to agree any and all exit arrangements. Parliament would be entitled to vote down those arrangements if they thought the PM had made a terrible deal, or a deal that was at odds with the expectations of the people at the time of the referendum. If, rather than voting down the exit arrangements, they offered the people a second referendum to ratify the agreement negotiated by the PM, they wouldn't be ignoring the will of the people.

Presumably once the government has concluded negotiations with the EU to agree the relationship post Brexit, those arrangements would have to be ratified by parliament? The referendum result wouldn't give the PM a blank cheque to agree any and all exit arrangements. Parliament would be entitled to vote down those arrangements if they thought the PM had made a terrible deal, or a deal that was at odds with the expectations of the people at the time of the referendum. If, rather than voting down the exit arrangements, they offered the people a second referendum to ratify the agreement negotiated by the PM, they wouldn't be ignoring the will of the people.

This is what makes it such a clusterfuck; We're voting on something most of us aren't well informed enough about. And that's not for lack of trying from many, there are just too many unknowns, with too much playing on fears of those unknowns.

If we had two clear and concise deals - This is what you get if you stay, this is what you get if you leave, pick one - We could discuss the merits and pitfalls of both and at least whatever conclusion that was would be the will of the people. I don't consider myself a complete idiot, but I can barely make hear nor tail of this situation with all the guff surrounding it. It's all 'If we stayed, we could effect change from within Europe' - No guarantee of that being the case, or 'If we leave, we could negotiate our own trade deals', with no guarantee of them being more beneficial than ones we would negotiate from within the EU. Or that our own Government would suddenly turn into the bastion of sense and good judgement, freed from the clutches of our evil EU overlords; Great Britain would be great again! Huzzah! Again, no guarantees if left to their own devices our Government would do any better (especially if they're attitude to the internet or mental health is anything to go by). Ah, but at least we can decide on them by who we vote for - Well, not if you think both Conservatives and Labour are useless, in which case you've got about as much control as you do over MEP's from Germany, or Greece, or wherever.

As with most times I take a peek under the curtain of politics, it never looks like what is the right choice, merely what is the least shit choice.

And if that bloke above has such a problem with the gravy train of Brussels he should have the stones to resign, rather than use an article to flog a new book that I'm sure could all be easily hosted on a website for close to fuck all if it's such important 'for the good of the people' information.

If true, that's a shocking read.

I noticed he could quite easily have resigned if he did not agree with it but alas no.
Anyhow, you can buy his book which no doubt is in all good book shops.
The Mail with an Outer, must be accurate.

I noticed he could quite easily have resigned if he did not agree with it but alas no.
Anyhow, you can buy his book which no doubt is in all good book shops.
The Mail with an Outer, must be accurate.

If he'd resigned, someone else would have had the job. Sort of a pointless protest, don't you think?

just out of interest for those supporting out, why you want to be out, what are the advantages and drawbacks?
1. To return the primacy of the British parliament.
2. To return the primacy of the British legal system.
3. To regain the ability to control the number of people coming here from the EU.
4. To regain the ability to put in place a sensible immigration policy based on skills not location.
5. To regain our seat on the WTO.
6. To regain the ability to negotiate our own trade deals with growing economies.
7. To have the right to say no to TTIP.
8. To retrieve the close to 10 billion pounds per year the EU costs us in membership fees.
9. To free our businesses from the shackles of EU regulations.
10. To hopefully make our European friends think again about the misguided path they've chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.