First game disappointments

City Square said:
City 1 Oldham 2 - 91-92 season with my old man in the Main Stand.

Graeme Sharpe had a field day at Maine Road, well that's what the end of season review highlights said, still remember that line now.

Needless to say I was hooked and next season I had my first ST on the Kippax.

That would've been the 4th? October I reckon. It should have been on my birthday on the Saturday. It was the game when we held a candle light protest against Swales and Paul Power was patrolling the Kippax giving candles out.

Hang on, either you've got the wrong season or I've mixed the game up. Was it a night match? I don't remember Oldham being in the top flight before the Premier League started.

jimharri said:
Big Blue Swede said:
jimharri said:
Thanks for that BBS. Just look at that team; how the fuck did we manage to lose to bloody Burnley? ''Typical City'', I suppose!

Glorified friendly though eh? :)
Very true. But look at that forward line; Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Law and Marsh. That was the equivalent back then of what we have now.

All had hangovers.

taleofbluehalves said:
My first game was Aston Villa, H, 23/01/1988 in the old 2nd Division, Trevor Morley's debut. Exciting to see City in the flesh and our brand new striker. We lost and Morley shot straight at the keeper when through on goal. Gutted but we lost to a decent Villa team.
Anyone had a more disappointing first game?

Nah, I got lucky and we beat Blackpool 2-0, Sept '55!

citykev28 said:
City Square said:

Graeme Sharpe had a field day at Maine Road, well that's what the end of season review highlights said, still remember that line now.

That would've been the 4th? October I reckon. It should have been on my birthday on the Saturday. It was the game when we held a candle light protest against Swales and Paul Power was patrolling the Kippax giving candles out.

Hang on, either you've got the wrong season or I've mixed the game up. Was it a night match? I don't remember Oldham being in the top flight before the Premier League started.

It was Sep 28th 1991 Barclays Div 1.

Found the game - complete with Graeme Sharpe line!

<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/mNLKeT-tDio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/mNLKeT-tDio</a>

Taken by my dad on 2nd feb 1957, against United at home. lost 2 -4. Would have been nearly 7 it was a very wet day and we watched it from the old Platt lane . No seats then I could only see when my dad lifted me up, I remember it well but would be nearly 11 when I went with some older lads again. Only due to the history section here could I get the date. I do remember the score.

citykev28 said:
City Square said:

I'm sure the game with the candle protest was against Coventry City? I was there on the Kippax and it was the night we found out the new manager was Brian Horton. Or am I getting old as well?????

Oakie I found yours mate
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... .aspx?id=1</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.