Gas & Electricity

Not trying to nick pick your post but energy prices were on the up before Ukraine. I'm sure investors can look elsewhere for profit. Chasing Mammon springs to mind. Decent book, give it a read.

Likely better off on universal creditLikely worse off on universal credit

Most people who work and rent, some people who have 'higher earnings' but don't rent

Some people who have 'higher earnings' but don't rent
Lone parents who work but don't pay rent
Those with a disability, in work, but not paying rent
Self-employed workers earning less than the 'minimum income floor'
Those with savings over £16,000

So anecdotal rather than informed opinion.

Working disabled worse off, 1.4 mil see increase (abled bodied who work) 900k are worse off especially lone parents.

At the moment there is no affordable energy rate, it's completely impossible because gas is imported at market rates and the market rate for gas has gone up by 400% in just 12 months. The only option for the government is to subsidise the price of this gas, that's it, there's no other choice and it'll probably cost the earth which is why they won't do it.

This isn't due to profiteering either, it's because a considerable chunk of the world's gas comes from Russia and the Russian market stall for gas has now closed. The rest of the world now must fight for supply which is why there is a real threat that the lights could go out over the winter let alone whether we need to worry about prices.

This is happening specifically here because the UK generates 50% of its electricity from burning gas which is why France is enjoying affordable rates in comparison.... 80% of their electricity comes from nuclear and you don't need to import any gas to run a nuclear powerplant.
Good post - I think this is what a lot of people are missing.

Gas/oil companies are raking it in because of the dramatic rise in prices and scramble for supply due to Russia being out of the equation. The energy suppliers are simply passing on their eye-watering costs to us.

Somebody has to pay big money for the energy, so if it isn't us, it has to come out of government reserves (which will ultimately have to be replenished by taxes). I've yet to see the maths that says windfall taxes on energy companies alone can cover the bill.

Gas/oil companies are raking it in because of the dramatic rise in prices and scramble for supply due to Russia being out of the equation. The energy suppliers are simply passing on their eye-watering costs to us.

Somebody has to pay big money for the energy, so if it isn't us, it has to come out of government reserves (which will ultimately have to be replenished by taxes). I've yet to see the maths that says windfall taxes on energy companies alone can cover the bill.
but if people cant pay what then leave the vunerable to freeze to death.the government can cut green taxes and vat just for starters.im afraid if the government dont give meaningful help they wont get re elected so im pretty sure they will have to take it on the chin and do something

but if people cant pay what then leave the vunerable to freeze to death.the government can cut green taxes and vat just for starters.im afraid if the government dont give meaningful help they wont get re elected so im pretty sure they will have to take it on the chin and do something
Yes, I agree, they definitely have to do something, no argument.

I was just questioning where the money is going to come from.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things it’s not important but I’d imagine come January most games could be lunchtime kick off including midweek games due to fuel rationing and the cost of lighting .

Further to my posts yesterday about our 110% energy price in work, I got into the office just now to a message from a supplier we’ve worked with since 2012.

Given inflation and out of control cost increases, they’ve shut down with immediate effect, all staff gone, all inventory being liquidated before they switch the lights off and (try to) sell their warehouse.

The first of many, I imagine.

I mentioned it to another business owner who seems to think they’ll be doubling again in April.

Successive governments have done a piss poor job of ensuring our energy security in this country. In fact what they’ve done is criminal.

Throwing net zero and green levies on top of an already strained sector is nuts. But as someone else said, we’ll all grumble then grab a brew and watch strictly.

I do genuinely wonder what the line in the sand is for the average Brit, before they get off their arses and protest. Like, really protest and kick off so the government take note.

A ban on foreign holidays? Instagram or tiktok being banned? No more Love Island?

No matter what gets thrown at most brits they seem to just accept it and plod on. Crazy.
will you be taking part in real protests and kick off?

It’s an irrelevant post.

People don’t/won’t care why they can’t afford to heat their homes, they’ll be asking for the solution.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.