General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
It’s a big area of Labour policy I don’t really get.

All the polling suggests there is strong public appetite for a closer relationship to Europe big buyers remorse amongst Brexit voters (who saw that coming, eh….)

Labour would increase their already pretty iron grip on the centre ground by coming out with more pro-EU policy but they’re still terrified of going near it.
Labour stated that they would take us closer to Europe but won’t talk about rejoining as it may lose them votes.

The Lib’s can talk about it all they want and it should get them some extra votes. However, they are talking Single Market which is way down the line, they should be talking Customs Union to start us off.

It’s been coming since 2008 when legal aid rates were changed and weren’t increased (even with inflation) until a couple of years ago following the well-publicised strike action. This meant that less and less legal graduates were attracted into the criminal legal profession. For over a decade the number of criminal pupillages and training contracts were vanishingly small meaning far too few (and increasingly fewer) people were entering the profession.

This didn’t matter as much while the trial backlog wasn’t being addressed (and was increasing) and during Covid when things slowed down even further - but since the pandemic there’s (very belatedly) been significant moves to start clearing the backlog, but there aren’t anything like the number of practitioners to keep up. There simply aren’t enough criminal solicitors and/or barristers to cope. This has obviously been accentuated by peoole leaving the professions by way of retirement, death and people moving into other, better rewarded areas of law.

So those that do practise in crime are mad busy, and certainly earning far more than they were a decade or so ago, but there simply aren’t enough of them - and that isn’t something to which there is any quick fix. You can’t just magic up criminal barristers out of nowhere.

What would a decent Manchester based criminal barrister typically earn?

Labour stated that they would take us closer to Europe but won’t talk about rejoining as it may lose them votes.

The Lib’s can talk about it all they want and it should get them some extra votes. However, they are talking Single Market which is way down the line, they should be talking Customs Union to start us off.
I reckon it will come more into the conversation over the next few years with something concrete in their manifesto to vote on at the election in 5 years.

What would a decent Manchester based criminal barrister typically earn?
Depends on a number of factors but a junior (i.e.) non-KC of about ten years call, who’s any good, and who does mainly legal aid work, will these day bill about £120k p.a. with about 20k of that going in chambers rent. That’s probably up 20%-30% from a couple of years ago because of the rates going up and the workload.

Equivalent barristers in other areas of law that are more commercially led, probably about 50% more to double that billed p.a. depending on which area of law. Their chambers rent might be slightly lower as a percentage but will still be about the same proportion.

Not sure coming out with a statement saying “Hitler wasn’t really all that bad if you think about it” is a great look, three days after we commemorate the biggest allied victory of World War 2 that brought him down.

It’s a big area of Labour policy I don’t really get.

All the polling suggests there is strong public appetite for a closer relationship to Europe big buyers remorse amongst Brexit voters (who saw that coming, eh….)

Labour would increase their already pretty iron grip on the centre ground by coming out with more pro-EU policy but they’re still terrified of going near it.

The polling suggests that in a new referendum Remain would easily win, but that still means the majority of Leave voters would vote Leave again.

With 17m leave voters, there are still around 12m who want to stay out, and there are also millions of people who voted Remain who think we should stick with the decision.

Labour are likely going to win a landslide in a few weeks, and they still might only get around 12m votes, so you're talking about a huge fracture in society if you reverse things. You can just imagine Farage whipping up the "betrayal" of those millions of voters.

I suspect that there's a lot of alignment that most people don't care about, and which would help the economy, so they'll slowly reintegrate where they can. But I'm not sure it would make the country a happier place to go back to the full leave/remain arguments again.

He looks like a hostage that’s been told to read off a script and pretend everything is okay or else he’ll be executed.

Fuck sake I’m almost feeling sorry for the bloke at this point, he’s that much of a useless soggy sack of spunk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.