General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 152 60.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Reform

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 9.5%

• Total voters
And if enough people followed this chain of thought, then Labour would not win. To actually win an election it does require people to vote Labour. That’s kind of how elections work in case you were hazy on the process.
It doesn't really work like that though in reality. If 5 people vote Labour and 6 people don't then Labour can still win comfortably in our system.

Add the Reform vote to the Tory vote in the polls for example and Labour aren't so far ahead. If this election was fought on issues and the popular vote alone then it's clear that the country is still hopelessly divided.

To win Labour just need to win the seats that they were always going to win. They then need the Tory vote to divide (which it is) and that's how they will win their majority. They won't win it on votes.

To outright win against a united Tory/right vote Labour has always needed Scotland and that was lost long ago.

It doesn't really work like that though in reality. If 5 people vote Labour and 6 people don't then Labour can still win comfortably in our system.

Add the Reform vote to the Tory vote in the polls for example and Labour aren't so far ahead. If this election was fought on issues and the popular vote alone then it's clear that the country is still hopelessly divided.

To win Labour just need to win the seats that they were always going to win. They then need the Tory vote to divide (which it is) and that's how they will win their majority. They won't win it on votes.

To outright win against a united Tory/right vote Labour has always needed Scotland and that was lost long ago.

The bad thing about the large majority they will get is there will be no inclination to change the voting system. Self interest will screw us all. We could stop that type of Tory party ever getting in again.

Well a poster did give 3 examples although I'm not sure 150 years is modern times and one didn't affect the result So kudos for that.

You just went full on dishonesty. But there you go.

Asking for specific examples is a surely a straw man. I don't believe anyone is actually arguing that elections are decided by single votes, but then I don't think that's your argument.

I may be wrong, but if I understand correctly, your argument is that because elections aren't won by single votes, an individual makes no difference? As a result individuals should vote however they want, without their being any moral reason for choosing the best option that has a chance of winning the seat.

The counter argument is not that elections ARE won by single votes, but that they are only ever won by individuals' votes.

Last edited:
Last time here we go

What are the chances of that guy/girl changing the outcome of the general election and forcing the Tories back into power if he votes say lib dem over Labour.

Let's see how honest you are with that answer.

“And we head over to the constituency of Toad-on-the-wold where the final tallies show Labour and Tories tied on 31,625 votes which was settled in the time honoured fashion of a coin toss and has just been won by the Tories giving them one seat over the line for a majority in Parliament! Sensational scenes! Limbs everywhere!!

Labour just needed one vote to flip from the Greens and here is that voter. Colin, you voted Green even though you were toying with Labour, but Starmer was mean to Jeremy and you wanted to stick to your principles. How do you feel, Colin?”

“Well, disappointed that Labour didn’t get over the line and that my one vote sank them, but proud, Laura, because I voted my conscience.”

“Thank you, Colin. Now back to the studio.”

“And we head over to the constituency of Toad-on-the-wold where the final tallies show Labour and Tories tied on 31,625 votes which was settled in the time honoured fashion of a coin toss and has just been won by the Tories giving them one seat over the line for a majority in Parliament! Sensational scenes! Limbs everywhere!!

Labour just needed one vote to flip from the Greens and here is that voter. Colin, you voted Green even though you were toying with Labour, but Starmer was mean to Jeremy and you wanted to stick to your principles. How do you feel, Colin?”

“Well, disappointed that Labour didn’t get over the line and that my one vote sank them, but proud, Laura, because I voted my conscience.”

“Thank you, Colin. Now back to the studio.”

Yeah no answer to the chances as expected, move on I think it's definitely dishonesty with you so i won't be bothering.

Asking for specific examples is a surely a straw man. I don't believe anyone is actually arguing that elections are decided by single votes, but then I don't think that's your argument.

I may be wrong, but if I understand correctly, your argument is that because elections aren't won by single votes, an individual makes no difference? As a result individuals should vote however they want, without their being any moral reason for choosing the best option that has a chance of winning the seat.

The counter argument is not that elections ARE won by single votes, but that they are only ever won by individuals' votes.

Sorry you are looking far too deeply into it, basically the poster can vote however they want and they can be as sure as sure can be that he isn't gonna be responsible for letting the Tories in. Its that simple really.

Personally I couldn't vote for Starmer he has shown he doesn't care much for the public, was a disgrace on palenstine. We are getting him anyhow I will just vote for the party I believe in most.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.