General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Have it your own way but those of us who have worked on nhs budgeting issues will not thank you for it.
Thanks and I will, I remember pre 97 and virtually no waiting lists and if there were they moved fast, what changed? It’s a complex issue and it also comes from LA funding being decimated so they could not provide care like they used to, where do the people go? The NHS of course

You need money to make meaningful change. Saying that the NHS, pot holes, education, housing, social care, defence, water, energy, transport etc needs more money is very, very, very easy. As is 'let's borrow more' (needs paying back by future generations) as is 'let's tax more' (popular with very few if reaction to price rises is repeated). The hard bit is where does that money to make meaningful change come from? There is a phrase, mostly used in sport and attributed to multiple champions, "The harder I work the luckier I became". I do not think it matters whether Starmer or Sunak wins, what is far more important is that the attitude of the country becomes that of a winner, we seem to have lost that drive.

You need money to make meaningful change. Saying that the NHS, pot holes, education, housing, social care, defence, water, energy, transport etc needs more money is very, very, very easy. As is 'let's borrow more' (needs paying back by future generations) as is 'let's tax more' (popular with very few if reaction to price rises is repeated). The hard bit is where does that money to make meaningful change come from? There is a phrase, mostly used in sport and attributed to multiple champions, "The harder I work the luckier I became". I do not think it matters whether Starmer or Sunak wins, what is far more important is that the attitude of the country becomes that of a winner, we seem to have lost that drive.

i think a good start would be to re-establish a causal link, whether actually or through better communications, of tax paid and services gained. At the moment many people, including myself to a degree, feel that money is just disappearing down a well, which does not engender a positive outlook.

i think a good start would be to re-establish a causal link, whether actually or through better communications, of tax paid and services gained. At the moment many people, including myself to a degree, feel that money is just disappearing down a well, which does not engender a positive outlook.
Totally agree. It's common sense to ensure value for money.

There is some good stuff in the BMA paper, but you have to be careful as the BMA is a trade union. The BMA has, of course, organised strikes for increases in their own pay which is hardly consonant with calls for bigger budgets elsewhere. There are several contentious statements there as well.For example, the use of historic spending trend as a comparitor is dubious and the fall of current spend below the trend line for one year does not support the statement made. The kings fund is independent and more reliable.

‘In 2022/23, the NHS in England spent £17.2 billion on primary care services. Despite a real-terms increase in funding, as a proportion of the Department of Health and Social Care's spending, the budget for primary care service is shrinking
’ @KingsFund.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.