General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 155 60.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Reform

Votes: 33 12.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 24 9.4%

• Total voters
It is certainly poorly run. If I were the British dictator, the first thing I would do is to set up a standing commission to study and steer the nhs and take it out of party politics, by having all shades of opinion on the commission.
As to funding, you have to decide what the limits are for an activity that has infinite demand. The only serious attempt at this is NICE, set up by Blair, which examines budget effectiveness ie what treatments should the nhs provide and not provide. Simply saying the nhs is underfunded is meaningless. Where would you increase budgets for nhs services that are “actually needed” to quote your words?
A good start would be a pay increase for staff.

Think tanks are always non-partisan…

As Ducado says, statistics can be moulded to fit any narrative.

A visit to a hospital and the use of your eyes is harder.
Yeah but can be misleading. My local hospital has a large A&E dept with a consultant always on hand. There is no waiting for treatment or a bed and it is excellent. However they do not offer several services which helps to pay for the A&E. I need extensive orthopedic care for my hips and spine. Not available at the nhs hospital so I have to go once a fortnight to a private hospital paid for on a case by case basis by the nhs.
Local budget decisions are crucial to what sevice you receive.
Years ago, I designed a fact based algorithm for a large nhs trust to help them decide on budgets. It replaced a system of “he who shouts loudest” for decisions between departments. The clinical heads loved it and it was adopted by 5 trusts with great success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.