General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 177 58.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • Reform

Votes: 41 13.6%
  • Green Party

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 30 10.0%

• Total voters
No doubt there are mitigating circumstances for Covid but don't try and pretend that this country wasn't well on its way to getting fucked before Covid became a thing. And that's all down to the Tories and no fucker else.

Record taxes
Record net migration
Record illegal immigration
Highest inflation rates since the late 70s
Brexit and Johnson's shitty oven ready deal which isn't worth a fucking wank because he allowed himself to be rolled over by the EU
Liz Truss and Kamikaze Kwarteng's suicidal budget which cost the country tens of billions of pounds and saw mortgage rates rocket

They're just a few things and most of them are fuck-all to do with Covid. And that's before we get on to scandal after scandal after fucking scandal. Yet here you are still voting for the fuckers. You need to give your head a fucking wobble sunshine
Double like. Great post

Excuse me for butting in, but being a landlord or multiple rented properties doesn't really have an affect on general property inflation imo, unless you buy multiple properties to keep them empty which clearly isnt the case in the vast majority of instances.

If there were more houses than people wanting them then property prices wouldn't inflate. Surely its just simply supply and demand economics?
Good grief. Someone bidding to buy a house to let it out is obviously pushing up the price for someone who wants to buy it to live in.

Understanding the impact of your policies, but deciding that you have to upset some people for the greater good, still fundamentally involves empathy.

My first post was really about whether Sunak was out of touch, and if all well off people would be. I think if you want to PM, you should know the people you want to lead. I don't believe that having an understanding of people's day to day lives, can be bad for decision making. (If you do know what's involved in the every day lives of people who are homeless, refugees, disabled, etc., and don't feel empathy, you're probably a sociopath, and I suspect not an ideal PM).

The trait you are describing is surely sympathy rather than empathy? That I would wholeheartedly agree with.

If Aristotle was a modern philosopher he would probably conclude “politics is reason, free from passion”.

Excuse me for butting in, but being a landlord or multiple rented properties doesn't really have an affect on general property inflation imo, unless you buy multiple properties to keep them empty which clearly isnt the case in the vast majority of instances.

If there were more houses than people wanting them then property prices wouldn't inflate. Surely its just simply supply and demand economics?
Yeah, the simple supply and demand in play here, is that there is a reduction in supply (availability), and an increase (or at least a plateau) in demand.

When demand outweighs supply, the value (or worth to the buyer) increases, and obviously it decreases when the shoes on the other foot.

The trait you are describing is surely sympathy rather than empathy? That I would wholeheartedly agree with.

If Aristotle was a modern philosopher he would probably conclude “politics is reason, free from passion”.

No - I'd say empathy.

I'm not just talking about someone who feels pity for someone else's plight, I'm talking about someone who can appreciate the emotions they're going through, and relate them in some way to their own feelings. It doesn't mean feeling the same way as them, so Aristotle is safe. The meaning of both has changed over time, and there's a lot of crossover, but in this context, I've always been taught empathy.

Either way, if we do go back to the original post, I think Sunak could easily be more "in touch", but looking at his life, I can understand why he isn't. When he was in the US, deciding that he wanted to become an MP, his next step was to contact a consultancy that helps find safe seats for Tory MPs with contacts and money. He could easily have afforded a sabbatical year, finding out more about the people he wanted to lead, and I suspect it would have made him a much better PM.

This election has me about as excited as England at the Euros
The choice is pretty grim. Cant say Sunak or Starmer come across very well.
Labour should be in for as long as they want this time, given the complete dross that has proceeded them (Sunak, Truss, Johnson, May).
We all know its time for a big change, but not sure the change were going to get is the one we want.
I really think this country needs a Tony Blair type figure but they just aren't out there at the moment.
Id love someone with passion and a plan to come along and show us a vision for the future.

I watched ten mins last night , as with the other debates sunak was favoured and could scream and shout as much as he wanted to. I dont think it would get truely floating voters interested in either side at this stage . Quite honestly if you can excuse foruteen years , largely austerity , lying and filling their own pockets and taking the piss out of all of us then you are stupid

No doubt there are mitigating circumstances for Covid but don't try and pretend that this country wasn't well on its way to getting fucked before Covid became a thing. And that's all down to the Tories and no fucker else.

Record taxes
Record net migration
Record illegal immigration
Highest inflation rates since the late 70s
Brexit and Johnson's shitty oven ready deal which isn't worth a fucking wank because he allowed himself to be rolled over by the EU
Liz Truss and Kamikaze Kwarteng's suicidal budget which cost the country tens of billions of pounds and saw mortgage rates rocket

They're just a few things and most of them are fuck-all to do with Covid. And that's before we get on to scandal after scandal after fucking scandal. Yet here you are still voting for the fuckers. You need to give your head a fucking wobble sunshine
Isn’t it odd that covid is quoted as the scapegoat for economic hardship, yet the same people stubbornly refuse to mention the elephant in the room that is brexit which will - according to the OBR- do twice as much damage!

This election has me about as excited as England at the Euros
The choice is pretty grim. Cant say Sunak or Starmer come across very well.
Labour should be in for as long as they want this time, given the complete dross that has proceeded them (Sunak, Truss, Johnson, May).
We all know its time for a big change, but not sure the change were going to get is the one we want.
I really think this country needs a Tony Blair type figure but they just aren't out there at the moment.
Id love someone with passion and a plan to come along and show us a vision for the future.

I’ll settle for competence. Investing in ‘personalities’ is what got us in this mess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.