General / Mental Health Support Thread

Gonna put this in here rather than start a thread. I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis. Having a fucking terrible time with it at the minute. Normally I'm pretty positive and can get through it but the pain at the minute is absolutely killing me. And whilst I wouldn't say its affecting my mental health at the minute it's getting pretty close.
Any blues have this condition? I'm sure there probably is.
Hi Joey,

I am so sorry to read this.

My father has AS. Growing up seeing him in so much pain was always so upsetting.

He waited about a decade to get diagnosed-GPs get little or no training in it. He is now 78 -his spine is totally fused, his neck, he has quite sever kyphosis because of it-zero mobility in his neck. He currently has severe pain in his feet, neck-he had an operation at the end of last year because he had bone spurs growing in his neck which meant he couldn't eat solid foods without risking choking. The op wasn't a great success-but he had to try.

He fell a few years ago and because of his fused spine it took months to find he had broken his back in 3 places and several ribs.

Personally I started to develop chronic uveitis from the age of 19-episodes every three months or so, suffered with the classic buttock/sciatica pain every now and then and fatigue and ibs symptoms plus occasionally psoriasis.

I have recently been experiencing significantly more pain in my hips, eye problems again and dactylitis and been to GP but its like pulling teeth-waiting on the results from the HLA B27 test-although I was positive 35 years ago (I studied genetics at university and worked in Bath rheumatology hosp). Usually age of onset is much younger than me-dad was early 20s when his started and a lad at Uni was diagnosed at 22/23?

Dad has always kept active-he still plays golf, his swing is quite something! He uses special fold out mirrors to help him drive.

Not sure anything I've said particularly helps-it can be a brutal disease.
For other readers it affects approx 1 in 200, a chronic inflammatory disease, with a correlation to the gene HLA B27 but not exclusively. Usually early onset as a young adult, early morning stiffness that improves with exercise (the reverse from mechanical back issues) and usually affects sacroiliac joints in hips and spine and also other parts of the body like the eyes.

Bryn Gunn has it as has, so has Lee Hurst, cricketers Mike Atherton and Michael Slater and the former Tory MP Tom Randall-google him and you can see the classic stiffness and bending his knees so that he can look forward.

Keep fighting Joey.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of visiting a mental health walk-in centre because things have become quite dark for me. Quite - what a joke. Very.
I lost my dad in December but that's only the start of it.
Spring is on the way and things must change.
I mostly successfully manage to avoid social media and especially people.from my youth and early adulthood in case I try and get into comparison games. But I did accidentally stumble.on a page full of people from my past and found out some had recently died, in their.50s Then there is my childhood sweetheart getting married and i.feel that could have been me.

This stuff fucking kills you.
Talk to someone. Don’t leave it, the sooner you get help the better. I know.

Really struggling today
Couldn't get up

Premier league season can't come quick enough
I know it's silly but just 'little' things like football can make a huge difference

Fucking nightmare
Samaritans call tonight without a doubt
Bad days happen. Tomorrow is a new day and I hope it's better for you.

Really struggling today
Couldn't get up

I know it's silly but just 'little' things like football can make a huge difference

Fucking nightmare
@PinkFinal you did get up, you put one foot in front of the other and sometimes that’s all you can do.
Football is on the horizon, it gives you something to think about, to get away from other life pressures.
Talking to Samaritans is a great call but also remember you have your City family on here.
Sometimes you have to go through darkness to appreciate the light. Your light will come, without a doubt. Keep going.

Really struggling today
Couldn't get up

Fucking nightmare
Feel your pain. Getting up is hard some days but once you do it’s usually ok. Keep the faith blue. ;)

Really struggling today
Couldn't get up

Fucking nightmare
Come on pink mate. Keep rocking and footy starts soon . Shanghai masters snooker is on in the meantime..?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.