Give Neil Young a testimonial

I know the guy who does all the social stuff for City (Facebook, Twitter etc). If something is organised in terms of a donation fund (similar to the Gordon Love campaign) and the club ok it then he could spread the word around that way?

This one's been going longer than The Mousetrap.

It's alright everyone coming on here saying give the fella a testimonial, but how many would go?

I've been to plenty over the years: for Ken Barnes, Ian Brightwell and Paul Lake - off the top of my head.

Every one has had something in common: a pitiful attendance; the same with legends such as Mike Doyle and Joe Corrigan. Even Colin Bell only got about 24,000. I know, I was there. And I think Alex Williams had to make do with a darts match in the social club!

I actually think that City will get rid of a player after nine years rather than give them a testimonial; they're just not well supported and haven't been since Bert Trautmann's in 1964 - almost 50 years ago.

BTH said:

It's alright everyone coming on here saying give the fella a testimonial, but how many would go?

I've been to plenty over the years: for Ken Barnes, Ian Brightwell and Paul Lake - off the top of my head.

Every one has had something in common: a pitiful attendance; the same with legends such as Mike Doyle and Joe Corrigan. Even Colin Bell only got about 24,000. I know, I was there. And I think Alex Williams had to make do with a darts match in the social club!

I actually think that City will get rid of a player after nine years rather than give them a testimonial; they're just not well supported and haven't been since Bert Trautmann's in 1964 - almost 50 years ago.

20,000 is not bad.

We played in the Dennis Irwin one, we should be owed a favour.

Corky said:
BTH said:

20,000 is not bad.

And the Arthur Albiston one and another one since for some rag or other whose name escapes me now, when George Weah played. They even gave us a cup one year as I well remember Steve Redmond running around The Swamp with it! Doesn't matter though. City fans just don't turn up for testimonials whereas the rags will turn up for any old crap, usually Celtic. I think Mike Doyle, Joe Corrigan and Tommy Booth all got a gate of less than 10,000 each.

Albiston and Mike Duxbury then Book, then Lake them Irwin, maybe we are owed one, maybe not.

However it would be better if the player was not a millionaire (or had earned millions and wasted it), and was deserving.

BTH said:
Corky said:
20,000 is not bad.

And the Arthur Albiston one and another one since for some rag or other whose name escapes me now, when George Weah played. They even gave us a cup one year as I well remember Steve Redmond running around The Swamp with it! Doesn't matter though. City fans just don't turn up for testimonials whereas the rags will turn up for any old crap, usually Celtic. I think Mike Doyle, Joe Corrigan and Tommy Booth all got a gate of less than 10,000 each.

That's not true, the rags always have Celtic because they know it will be a full house.

Immaculate Pasta said:
BTH said:

That's not true, the rags always have Celtic because they know it will be a full house.

Didn't I say as much!?

I sent this email to the club:

Hello.

I'm on a popular City forum called 'Bluemoon', which has gained about 16,000 members since starting in 2004. A few of the members (and I myself) think that Neil Young should be given a testimonial game. Now, I know Mr Young personally, as I play football at his organised coaching school every Sunday morning in Stockport so I told a few people on the forum that I would ask him if he would like a testimonial game, and as it turns out, he said yes.

I then found the thread on the testimonial game idea and posted that he had agreed to have a testimonial. Emailing the club then sprung to mind, and I saught out to contact you.

Now, I don't know how this can be advertised or organised, but one user called 'mancmackem' said that he knew the person responsible for the MCFC Twitter and MCFC Facebook pages, and that the game could be advertised that way.

I also ask that if the testimonial game does indeed go ahead, that all proceeds go towards the treatment Mr Young will be receiving for his deep vein thrombosis infected leg (the leg that scored the goal in the final of our last FA Cup final victory). I do hope that the club can co-operate, and right a 40 year wrong.

Yours,
Rob Wilson.

Fair enough a dedicated match is probably not worth doing unless it's a derby game.

However, we got almost 30K in a meaningless match vs Celtic pre-season.

Surely one of these games can simply be nominated as serving a dual purpose i.e. a meaningless pre-season warm-up and a testimonial/ fund raiser (terminology irrelevant) for one of City's heroes from our glory era who most would agree is worthy of our support....

Job done.

MCfcBOB said:
I sent this email to the club:
Now, I don't know how this can be advertised or organised, but one user called 'mancmackem' said that he knew the person responsible for the MCFC Twitter and MCFC Facebook pages, and that the game could be advertised that way.

But he didnt say that, he said a donation fund-at least get it right as they will be looking the thread up no doubt before considering putting ona game for about 4,000 to attend!<br /><br />-- Sun May 30, 2010 10:24 pm --<br /><br />
BTH said:

They have already, Richard Dunne.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.