Glory hunters...

Tourist since 1971 said:
I think there is a valid point if you object to people just swapping allegiance because we are now successful. However, everyone who is already a blue supports them with a differing level of intensity - some go to all games home, away including Europe - some go to all home games - some to a few games a season - some watch everything on tv and manage to go to one or two a season (me) - some have a passing interest but City is their favourite team.

All these are blues, all want us to win, so I have no problem acknowledging their support.

One earlier post said that some Dipper fans had supported them all their life but they had never been to Anfield and the inference was that they should be ashamed to be Liverpool fans. I disagree, if you want to feel superior because you arrange your life and are lucky enough to watch your team in the flesh I think that's great but you have no right to belittle someone else's loyalty - even if it's intensity doesn't match your own.

Just saying.
I would definitely say the dipper that went to games, however infrequently, was certainly more committed and loyal than the dipper who had never been yes. And the club would agree in terms of getting revenue from the fan.

Detinu said:
I start to follow city when we win the league, before that i was not really into football but wow what a win. Im not a glory hunter because i love city and bleed blue blood.

U****d backwards, clever rag.

I know a lad who was a blue until we were relegated to Div 2. Same age as me so he had been a blue for over 20 years and followed us home and away.

He was a taxi driver, one day I get in his cab and he sat there with a rag top on. I asked him what the fuck is going on. He looked me squarely in the eyes and simply said he had enough of losing and was now following utd. I was in so much shock it sobered me up.

Fast forward a year and I see him again back in a city top. I told him to do one, swapping and changing is just not on. Lost respect for his support of anyone, cannot be taken seriously.

I very rarely adimit to this but My two younger brothers were both rags from birth till they were about 14, one jumped ship in about 1998 and the other about a year later, I think scum had won the treble around that time and city were in second division. Glory hunting bastards!
Both mad blues now, season ticket holders the lot. I still have photos of them playing football in the garden when they were kids with rag shirts on! Evidence of their dirty little secret.

An ability to rattle off history, be able to be a regular at matches or be one for singing hardly makes one a true fan. Seems to me anyone who is all that concerned with why others claim City and is determined to prove their authenticity over another is the one hunting for glory.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
RobertFish said:
An ability to rattle off history, be able to be a regular at matches or be one for singing hardly makes one a true fan. Seems to me anyone who is all that concerned with why others claim City and is determined to prove their authenticity over another is the one hunting for glory.
Well observed and well said, mate
Yes well said Yankee. Why would he think that?

Are you seriously telling me someone that has never seen City live or knows where or what Maine Road is "an authentic" a fan? Or as authentic as someone going, be it regular or not, for twenty odd years? Course they aren't.

I have no problem with new fans but they'll never know the feeling of what it truly felt like when Aguero scored the third. Maybe in time they will feel the same affinity but for me (and many others I assume) getting to the top from scraping the barrel will always be sweeter than anything that comes afterwards.

I also couldn't care less if some fan 3,000 miles away thinks this post makes me a glory supporter, I know what I am.

SWP's back said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
RobertFish said:
Well observed and well said, mate
Yes well said Yankee. Why would he think that?

Are you seriously telling me someone that has never seen City live or knows where or what Maine Road is "an authentic" a fan? Or as authentic as someone going, be it regular or not, for twenty odd years? Course they aren't.

I have no problem with new fans but they'll never know the feeling of what it truly felt like when Aguero scored the third. Maybe in time they will feel the same affinity but for me (and many others I assume) getting to the top from scraping the barrel will always be sweeter than anything that comes afterwards.

I also couldn't care less if some fan 3,000 miles away thinks this post makes me a glory supporter, I know what I am.
SWP - please let me know to whom I should submit my "credentials" and send in my background check to. I sure hope the Board of Directors approve of me (especially considering me being a Yank and all).

My point was simple: some people are not a walking history book, some people come from extremely limited means, some people don't sing, some people come from a far off land, some people just discovered football, some people witness a moment which sparks an interest that was never there before, etc. All of that has nothing to do with being a glory hunter/band wagon type. Switching allegiance like you switch underwear does.

I came from a music scene where many were obsessed with the "authenticity" of another. Always found that mindset so tiring. From my standpoint it was never about "why" someone or how someone gained their initial interest but in how much of themselves they would invest in what they found.

Detinu said:
I start to follow city when we win the league, before that i was not really into football but wow what a win. Im not a glory hunter because i love city and bleed blue blood.

Jesus christ - Im sorry lad but that does mean your a glory-hunter I'm afraid and just to let you know you may need to check in with your local GP if your bloods blue! Tends to be red normally ;)

Just realised your name - clever obsessive rag

foreverablue18 said:
Detinu said:

Jesus christ - Im sorry lad but that does mean your a glory-hunter I'm afraid and just to let you know you may need to check in with your local GP if your bloods blue! Tends to be red normally ;)

Just realised your name - clever obsessive rag
Being able to spell a word backwards hardly makes him Gore Vidal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.