James McAtee

I'd be tempted to agree for most of our loan players, but didn't the club want him to stay?

He's someone they've expected big things from, but I thought he wanted to go on loan rather than stay training and only playing irregularly? After an iffy start, he's clearly done pretty well at Sheffield United, so you'd assume that hasn't pushed him further back at City.

I'd expect that at very least he's given pre-season with the team, to see if the advances he's made at Sheffield United have put him closer to the first team here.
He's got quick, clever feet in packed penalty boxes. I'd say he's got a real shot here.

The way I understood it, McAtee was considering not signing a contract so that he could go somewhere in search of first team football but part of the way we convinced him to sign a deal was to allow him to leave on loan to get more minutes.

Why would we then look at selling him after a successful loan spell? Surely we'd be looking at either integrating him next season or finding him another loan move?

His fee could easily double a year from now if there's still no room.

We have to keep him at the club. He was exceptional at youth level. Crazy numbers from a guy playing in midfield, he was a class above. They'd give him the ball and he'd carry it the whole length of the pitch and score, or he'd slot a perfect pass for someone. He is tricky, intelligent, quick and skillful and has a wonderful awareness of the space around him.

To go from that level to the top of the championship is a major jump. But he's done it. It's been a brilliant loan because he's had to dig in and watch from the bench a lot and prove himself over the season. He will have developed a lot both physically and mentally from this spell.

Much like Foden with England, he's had to deal with the fact he's playing with largely sub-standard players. At City our players are comfortable receiving the ball with opposition players around them. For England they dismiss it as a passing option. At the WC the one time someone did it to Phil he turned it into an attacking opportunity which led to a goal. At Sheffield United it's the same. The pass to him is either shite or he's ignored, even when he backs himself under pressure. He's good enough to play for us, I'm sure of it. I hope he's in the squad next season.

I would love to see him involved in our team/squad next season even if Ilkay and Bernardo stay but looking at the Cole Palmer scenario this season I'm not sure if he would get the chances

I would love to see him involved in our team/squad next season even if Ilkay and Bernardo stay but looking at the Cole Palmer scenario this season I'm not sure if he would get the chances
Cole Palmer by all accounts marked his own card although he is at least getting back on the bench, I wouldn't use him as a benchmark. I have no idea what happened by the way.

I really want this kid to make it, he looks like he has the talent and has hit impressive numbers in his first season of professional football with limited minutes. I think another year on loan will do him good though. Honestly think he’s a level above Doyle.

I really want this kid to make it, he looks like he has the talent and has hit impressive numbers in his first season of professional football with limited minutes. I think another year on loan will do him good though. Honestly think he’s a level above Doyle.
I understand what you are saying but I think that Doyle would probably slot into our midfield easier than McAtee next season as his all round game including defense is more rounded.
I agree another loan for McAtee could be a good option. There will be no shortage of clubs wanting him.

If he cant put together a highlights reel like that in the PL next season he'll be worth £75m.
If that's anything to go by he's got pretty much the lot, not just quick feet and an eye for a pass but ability to handle the physicality - and there's a turn of speed on display. Seems that in the course of this year he's moved up a long way. People reckon that Ndiaye is better? I wonder what his YouTube clips look like.

Cole Palmer by all accounts marked his own card although he is at least getting back on the bench, I wouldn't use him as a benchmark. I have no idea what happened by the way.
I didn't know that, did he get himself in Pep's bad graces? I thought it was injuries lingering

this is exactly what will happen if he comes back. he will be sitting on the bench and be a 3rd choice winger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.