John Stones - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the ball was inside Stones this time and Laporte came across to cover. The fact remains that we've conceded 3 goals from pretty similar situations and through balls.
No, it was inside Laporte, they swap sides to defend set pieces.

[
Once again the ball outside Stones has led to a goal,in this case the 2nd one last night. That's 3 now if you include the 2 recent penalties. Should we be concerned?
Yes, you should be concerned that Eddy gave up 2 unnecessary penalties and that our Midfielders, I'm guessing did not have the common sense to block the path for a direct pass of a restart quick free kick.

Yeah, be worried. But that probably sjt be on a different thread:)

No, it was inside Laporte, they swap sides to defend set pieces.
Well unless they switched numbers at half time I have watched again and Stones is on the Right and the ball is played inside him. Anyway let's not worry if they continue to only let in 5 for every 13 matches.

Well unless they switched numbers at half time I have watched again and Stones is on the Right and the ball is played inside him.
I've just watched it too for a refresh and it's completely unfair to put that all on Stones.
a) We were setup in a back 3 in that passage of play and the attacker was occupying the space in between Laporte and Stones as any smart striker would do.
b) The target and the pass to him was closer to Laporte's side if anything.
c) The player making the pass was too far away from both of our centre backs for either of them to take too much blame. Perhaps Laporte should have got closer to his intended target sooner but moving too soon will leave space elsewhere to exploit.

Personally I think the mistake happened when the player making the pass was enabled enough time to control the ball, turn and get his head up to pick the pass out(he did do this very swiftly to be fair to him, Pep would have been impressed with that). Our midfield was sleeping, you can see Delph and Mahrez scrambling to get back as he receives it. I think Delph was maybe too high up the field but Mahrez seemed more out of position so maybe he should have been covering for Delph in that moment?

The back line looked a good one(Laporte slightly deeper) and probably should have had the goal ruled out for a tight offside call.

Last edited:
I've just watched it too for a refresh and it's completely unfair to put that all on Stones.
a) We were setup in a back 3 in that passage of play and the attacker was occupying the space in between Laporte and Stones as any smart striker would do.
c) The player making the pass was too far away from both of our centre backs for either of them to take too much blame. Perhaps Laporte should have got closer to his intended target sooner but moving too soon will leave space elsewhere to exploit.

Personally I think the mistake happened when the player making the pass was enabled enough time to control the ball, turn and get his head up to pick the pass out(he did do this very swiftly to be fair to him, Pep would have been impressed with that). Our midfield was sleeping, you can see Delph and Mahrez scrambling to get back as he receives it. I think Delph was maybe too high up the field but Mahrez seemed more out of position so maybe he should have been covering for Delph in that moment?

The back line looked a good one(Laporte slightly deeper) and probably should have had the goal ruled out for a tight offside call.
Yeah, I felt the goal was more of a (rather unfortunate) failing in an offside trap as opposed to sloppiness.

The real mistake came from us switching off after the foul was given away in the centre circle allowing them to take a quick freekick and overwhelm us a tad. What made it worse was we did the exact same thing not too long beforehand.

I love when I read a well reasoned analysis of play passage.

Hats off!

I'll bow to your incisive tactical knowledge. It's still the case that we seem to be a bit vulnerable to through balls in the "inside left" channel.

Stones has not committed a single foul in his last seven games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.