John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need 2 new central defenders (if we are also after laporte). Our defenders over the last few years struggled because of the way MP set out his team and especially with he way he had his midfield set up....Our central defenders were often left with huge gapping holes infant of them with 20 yds of space to cover. No centre half no matter how good they are wants that with the opposition midfielders and attackers given free license and huge space to run at you. Its a nightmare scenario.......

I expect (and hope) that Pep needs to solidify our central midfield area especially and this will greatly help out the defenders.....especially mangala and otto, (VK is one of the few defenders in world football who can cope well with the scenario he was often left in due to MP's tactics).

We need one central defender to replace MDM (either laporte or stones). with the return of Denayer, I don't see the need for two (unless the rumours about Denayer being turned into a right back are true)

Midfield is the key...this will greatly improve our defensive solidity.....then the only real issue is replacing Mdm and what to do about VK's calf problem (though his latest injury is just pure bad luck and nothing to do with his calf)

As mentioned, I feel the main problem with the central defenders was that they had no protection in front of them...for most of the season they were left one on one with an attacking midfield/forward player with little help from the CM position....I'd like to see us sign Laporte but feel they'll all struggle if we dont improve the CM position....

Again, this is mostly revisionist history.
1. We played a more defensive style for a good portion of that period.
2. Between fall 2010 and Fall 2012 Kompany was in fact the best individual defender in the world. This is before the injuries began to plague him constantly and he began to decline. That Lescott was his partner at the time was incidental, not causal.
Check Kompany for Belgium in that period and he was great. Check Lescott for England he was average.
3. We played with 2 DMs Barry and DeJong. Both well Schooled in helping protect defense to the detriment of our offense.
4. Kompany's littany of injuries began to pile up just as Lescott was being replaced. The Injury caused Kompany's and our defense' decline, not the loss of Lescott. This can easily be verified by the fact that anytime Kompany stayed healthy long enough to get into footballing shape, he returned again some excellent top class performances regardless of who his partner was.. Unfortunately, those became rear the more injuries he picked up.

Lescott was a ripoff. A stiff skill bereft bigman who was lucky to be purchased by a growing team that couldn't get top end talent at the time. He served us well. And I thankhim for it. But let's ease up on the false attributions.

I don't think we've purchased a weaker CB since Lescott.

Savic, Nastasic, Demichelis, Mangala, Otamendi (so far)..?? Wtf you been smoking...

Savic, Nastasic, Demichelis, Mangala, Otamendi (so far)..?? Wtf you been smoking...
Every single one, and Boateng was a better footballer. Savic may be the exception, as he was shot on confidence while here. But all the others were better footballers.

Every single one, and Boateng was a better footballer. Savic may be the exception, as he was shot on confidence while here. But all the others were better footballers.

Jesus.... If you seriously think any of the players I mentioned were not weaker or better defenders for us, than Lescott.... Then I watch football from a parallel universe to you... And I was never Lescotts biggest fan.

Last edited:
Jesus.... If you seriously think any of the players I mentioned were weaker or better defenders for us, than Lescott.... Then I watch football from a parallel universe to you... And I was never Lescotts biggest fan.
Read my comments carefully and correctly.

I don't think we need 2 new central defenders (if we are also after laporte). Our defenders over the last few years struggled because of the way MP set out his team and especially with he way he had his midfield set up....Our central defenders were often left with huge gapping holes infant of them with 20 yds of space to cover. No centre half no matter how good they are wants that with the opposition midfielders and attackers given free license and huge space to run at you. Its a nightmare scenario.......

I expect (and hope) that Pep needs to solidify our central midfield area especially and this will greatly help out the defenders.....especially mangala and otto, (VK is one of the few defenders in world football who can cope well with the scenario he was often left in due to MP's tactics).

We need one central defender to replace MDM (either laporte or stones). with the return of Denayer, I don't see the need for two (unless the rumours about Denayer being turned into a right back are true)

Midfield is the key...this will greatly improve our defensive solidity.....then the only real issue is replacing Mdm and what to do about VK's calf problem (though his latest injury is just pure bad luck and nothing to do with his calf)
Just read an article stating guardiola could play Laporte left back with stones CB and carvahal rb with vinny CB they had pogba sane gundogan Kdb and Sanchez as midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.