Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a good solid home grown signing for me.
Someone yesterday put him in the Rodwell/Sinclair bracket.
They were nowhere near the England team whilst Phillips is pretty much established.
Pep and the coaches will improve him too.
Those shoes would have to go though.

Feels very much like a Rodwell and Sinclair signing.

People on here thought they were astute signings too.

I know we can't have two 'superstar' signings in every position however I thought there might have been someone out there better than Phillips.

Will be a huge drop off in quality from Rodri to Phillips.
It feels like really unimaginative recruitment to me. There's no way we couldn't find someone better than Phillips, especially if we're willing to spend around 50m which makes me think it has something to do with the homegrown quota and we're banking on Pep's coaching to cover for any deficiencies in his game.

Let's be clear Philip's isnt KDB, he isn't the greatest midfielder of his generation and he isn't even the best player in his position. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good signing.

Not every member of our squad can be a Silva, Aguero or Kompany - we also need Gareth Barry's, Lescotts, and Zabaletas. Philip's is a decent hard working midfield player who could take a place in pretty much every premier league squad. Would I be scared if he moved to united or Liverpool , no - but he would probably improve both of them.

It feels like really unimaginative recruitment to me. There's no way we couldn't find someone better than Phillips, especially if we're willing to spend around 50m which makes me think it has something to do with the homegrown quota and we're banking on Pep's coaching to cover for any deficiencies in his game.
I’ve seen nothing from him that suggests to me that he can be top class. Granted, I don’t watch him every week. Hopefully Pep can work his magic on him, but it just feels like a meh signing.

The slightly disappointing/worrying thing for me, is that he is clearly being targeted as backup/support for Rodri, as opposed to someone who is going to seriously challenge him for his place. With that in mind, I would hope that we would be producing our own Kalvin Phillips level players. Someone from the academy who can come in and do a job for 15 games a season, or regularly replace Rodri for the last 20 mins of an already won game. It’s hard enough for our youngsters to get game time, without putting additional £50m blocks in the way like Phillips.

Ake did well when he came in last season, but I don’t think anyone seriously thinks he will ever be one of our starting CBs. I feel Phillips will be another like this. I’m not sure you pay a combined £90m for ‘can come in and do a job’.

Be a really good signing for us. He's showed enough against decent opposition in the Euros to prove he will fit in fine at City.

We don't need flashy all the time. We need graft and he'll give you that in abundance as well as a good quality on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.