Liverpool (H) | Post match thread

There is, IIRC, actually a ruling that says that offside should be judged at the moment when the player making the pass actually makes contact with the ball for his pass, not when the ball is released.

So why is it that on the NBC freeze frame, like the one sky used after Raheem scored, at the point he plays the ball Kevin's right leg is more or less upright, but on the freeze frame used by VAR his leg is extended and the ball is, as many have said, elongated due to the freeze frame. In other words, it's not when his foot makes contact with the ball, it's as it leaves it.

So why did VAR use the wrong frame? To my mind that can only be deliberate.
Whilst I agree with your post my take on when the ball leaves the foot is the same moment the foot makes contact with the ball. So the frame used should have been well before the frame used by VAR. But after all it was livarpool we were playing. I personally think we will get done by the officials on Saturday and when you analyse the decisions livarpool have had since the bus wrecking, and some before Micahs handball? at anfield, I just don't see the officials changing tack at this stage.

Remind me again. What's XG?
It is expected goals. Basically they calculate how many chances you create, and the likelihood you'd score them based on the averages of players scoring from similar positions. So if you get a penalty you get a score of 0.8. Its not a perfect stat, but if a team scores an XG of 4.1 but only wins 1-0 you get a sense of how one sided the game was even if the team didn't score loads.

I'm a fairly big fan of XG, but all the models from yesterday have us fairly neck and neck, which seems like a nonsense to me. A proper game for some of the "watch the game, not the data" sorts on here!
It's worth noting we had a lot of chances where we were just behind/ahead on the final pass or didn't get a shot off in time. None of which are registered on xG.

For instance we played a few great balls in that required last minute Liverpool intervention, or the Rodri miscued header to Stones. All of which amount to 0 xG.

xG has a lot of value over the season but in individual games it can sometimes have errors like these.

He has 12 months left on his contract and it doesn't get the same discussion as Salah's own situation, so it could piss him off in some respects.

Our balls over their high line exposed just how limited they are for pace and running back towards their own goal.

Pep knows Liverpool want to hit the spaces quickly in the corners and it's actually easier to plan for.
we seemed to play them at what was their own game...high press which disrupted their back line (they aint good under pressure any of them) and as you say they dont like running back towards their own goal...esp TAA who gets caught out repeatedly and not just by us yesterday.....Hoping Son can exploit that when spurs play them as thats where I would be looking if i was him

It's worth noting we had a lot of chances where we were just behind/ahead on the final pass or didn't get a shot off in time. None of which are registered on xG.

For instance we played a few great balls in that required last minute Liverpool intervention, or the Rodri miscued header to Stones. All of which amount to 0 xG.

xG has a lot of value over the season but in individual games it can sometimes have errors like these.
Yes, good point, and I've never seen a single game illustrate those limitations as much as yesterday!

A few have claimed that the previous frame I posted showing the options available to Riyad for the potential game-winning chance at the end of the match was misleading, and that he couldn’t actually make the pass to Foden or sweep it in to the far post.

So here is a frame from *just* before he sends it in the stands with lines for what he did (red) and what he could have done (yellow).

I am not sure how anyone could argue that playing Foden in was not the easier of the two options, and mostly certainly an all but certain game winner.

9-EB05-C1-D-BED0-42-AE-B0-DD-ECD6-AFA1-D233.jpg

Fuck sake

the second pic is defintely before the first pic as his leg is still bent before he follows through in kicking the ball.....the question is how do you time a pass...the moment KDB's foot makes contact or the moment the ball comes awaw from KDB's foot....for me its the latter...the pass hasnt been played till after it leaves the players foot...but i can understand how others might disagree on that.

The other issue is the parts of the body for me with which they use to judge offside..I knoe you can technically score with your chest/torso and head as well as obviously with any part of the leg BUT for me offside should be judged on the players feet and no where else....

A few have claimed that the previous frame I posted showing the options available to Riyad for the potential game-winning chance at the end of the match was misleading, and that he couldn’t actually make the pass to Foden or sweep it in to the far post.

So here is a frame from *just* before he sends it in the stands with lines for what he did (red) and what he could have done (yellow).

I am not sure how anyone could argue that playing Foden is was not the easy of the two options, and mostly certainly an all but certain game winner.

9-EB05-C1-D-BED0-42-AE-B0-DD-ECD6-AFA1-D233.jpg
to be honest however if you look where Allison is he should score that everytime regardless of whether he should pass or not...its not even a difficult finish for someone of his ability..he should just stroke that around him...
think he got it slightly stuck under his feet hence why he chose not to do that possibly

Our tactics in this match were as far removed from how we normally play as Pep has ever produced during his time at City. If anything, we played more like how Liverpool usually play. What’s interesting then is the “Pep overthinks the big games” crowd are nowhere to be seen. Remember games such as this one when those comments next crop up. We played very well with unusual tactics (for us), but because it wasn’t a bad performance, or a loss, nobody considers the fact Pep didn’t say “do what you usually do lads” to get that performance. Let him do his thing, in other words.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.