Maine Rd terrace characters

There was a lad (he was in his early 20s in the late 1980s) who was a 'home and away' Blue.
Went everywhere. But he went everywhere with a bloody radio held to the side of his head!

We'd be at Reading, Blackburn etc... and suddenly he'd shout out random things like 'County are 1 up!'
He'd obviously got BBC sports programme on and he'd just shout all the goals as they went in!!!!!

Made this teenager piss himself laughing every week!!!! ( You had to be there!!!!!!!!!!)
Did he have ginger hair and a very pink face? If not he was exactly the same

Tony Valente passed away recently, funeral this Thursday at St Mary's Langley 10am .....another nutcase blue gone RIP big man
no way so sad use to play for his team in middleton jacks wine bar great bloke mad as hell RIP big man

Where did you stand?
In the Maine Stand or the North Stand, through the 70s-80s, it depended on who I went with but I remember being fascinated with Pete, as a kid, and I remember a guy with a brown leather jacket like it was yesterday; I think he had a brown leather waistcoat too, for the summer!

Last edited:
In the Maine Stand or the North Stand. Through the 70s-80s, it depended on who I went with but I remember being fascinated with Pete, as a kid, and I remember a guy with a brown leather jacket like it was yesterday; I think he had a brown leather waistcoat too, for the summer!
We were in the Kippax on the left-hand side as you look from the main stand. We stood above the tunnel that had the Piccadilly Radio advertising board above it. That was mid-80's onward. There was also a guy up there with a long blue and white scarf. I think he was a milk man if I remember correctly. He'd always leave about 5 minutes before the end of the game (early leavers, even back then) and one game it was level pegging when he left. He'd been gone about 3 minutes when we scored and the place erupted. Saw him at the next home game and he said he was in the car park when he heard and was gutted. After that it became a running joke if he left with the scores level or City needing a goal to level up. 'Car park goal this week?', 'Aye lad hopefully'....

I used to sit just in front of four lads who began the 'best team in the land in all the world' song. The rest of the stand used to turn in their seats and laugh and then the lads would laugh too; one of my loveliest memories. When it took off, I couldn't help but recall those times.

There was a lad (he was in his early 20s in the late 1980s) who was a 'home and away' Blue.
Went everywhere. But he went everywhere with a bloody radio held to the side of his head!

We'd be at Reading, Blackburn etc... and suddenly he'd shout out random things like 'County are 1 up!'
He'd obviously got BBC sports programme on and he'd just shout all the goals as they went in!!!!!

Made this teenager piss himself laughing every week!!!! ( You had to be there!!!!!!!!!!)
My son used to do that, well not sure if he shouted out the scores at City games, he used to tell me them but he had a radio glued to him at all times, absolutely footy mad.

I was only really arsed about City at the time but now I’ve got a smart phone, I find myself checking other results when I’m at the game.

As a kid I always heard of les tate,Ted Davies and les cracknell, I vaguely remember after a derby on lloyd st outside the old souvenir shop going back to town, city and utd were at it,and a lot of these names were being offered out by utd s top names ,does anyone remember the names of utds top boys in the late 60s early 70s
Big Jack Barton would have been around at that time for sure, his brother was one of my mates from school too so got to hear quite a few tales, his nickname was 'Cock of the Stretford End', was a real big, fit, muscular athletic man who worked the bins (old style), oddly, this formed part of his training, for years growing up I remember him literally running doing the bins carrying a ton of bin bags.

Jack himself was a right character, first person I ever remember a saying "oright our kid" with a wink and a smile in a thick Manc accent, actually very much a gentleman outside of footballing circles though, used to make me laugh seeing him helping old ladies carry their shopping home, and then an hour later leathering fuck out of someone who'd got a bit lippy in the pub.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.