Maine Road (now) photos

the one of the old club shop with the ramp going up to it is sad, remember my mum taking me to get the new shirt and getting Howey 24 on the back in the old nationwide printing and going in n gettin my room decorated exactly like the one in the shop from the wall paper to the lamp i had it all! good times

Marvin said:
Huge highs and lows as a kid, though City were mostly rubbish. Most of the time it was listening to City through GMR and waiting for the goal jingles. They had one for a goal for a local team, and another for a goal against a local team. And then the Pink in the evening.

I used to do that. On Key 103, the jingle was "ITS A GOOOOAL" if a local team scored and "OOOOOH NOOOOO", if they were scored against

blumoonrisen said:
The centre spot is to be marked by a "tribute" art thing, I actually know the person who has the job of choosing the text for it, I'm hopeful to have an input on it and will be opening it for debate on here when I know more. http://maineroadartworks.co.uk/centre-spot
I know the sculptor, Stephen Broadbent, glad he won the commission. Did the Chartist "Plug Riots" sculpture at Hyde. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Afxrdcv1a...AACK8/_IfYrpNuRGM/s1600-h/chartistsofhyde.jpg

Explains the Maine Road "centre spot" concept at http://maineroadartworks.co.uk/film at 10 mins in (nostalgic shots early in film). Not sure where they're up to with the competition for suitable poetry.

Ah! Maine Road ...memories....

"Can I mind your car mister?"

"Bugger off, and think on, there's an alsation in the back"

"Does it put out fires?"

lol!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfIgew2tIQY[/youtube]

The club shop strikes a chord with me. I remember going on my 8th birthday, getting the red and black away kit with brother on the front, my name and 8 on the back, and some guy on the street telling me I shouldn't have done it as it will be out of date in a year. My dad wet mental :-)
I also remember seeing Swindon town get smashed once when we missed the start, think it might have been 6-2 or something like that. Swindon are my dads team and my second team but I laughed my tits off all game!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixkhac26SwI[/youtube]

My best ever day at the grand old place.

squirtyflower said:
Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
squirtyflower said:
it contained the memories, thoughts and emotions of so many people, some still here and some not
'just a stadium' can't do that

exactly mate, its not just about the stadium but about the history that was created within it, the good times and the bad.

I don't know if many people would agree with me here but I'd happily City gave up the FA Cup just for one more season at Maine Road.
i know exactly what you're saying

yesterday i was clearing away some old junk and found some VHS videos
i dug up the old video player and watched through them and cam across the city 5 scum 1 game
seeing the packed kippax again and fans hanging from all sorts in the north stand was heartbreaking

but that fa cup win for our younger fans meant a lot more than we can comprehend
i often talk about the passion for city my eldest daughter has but, for the first time, my other daughter has become well and truly hooked
she wanted to go to the parade, she wanted to go to bolton and spend the day on the lash with us and yesterday she spent the whole day on facebook gobbing off to plastics who were having a go at city's parade
i can't believe how much that fa cup has meant to them, for me it was a meh as i really enjoyed beating scum four weeks before, but for them it was everything
they partied all night in london after the win and then i took them home while they slept

for them, and them alone, i wouldn't swap
we had our time, now let's enjoy theirs together

Yeah I do see the element of truth there personally I've never seen us win a cup till 3 weeks ago so it was really special for me as well.

The thing is when I fell in love with this club 18 years ago it was the atmosphere and just something about City and Maine Road that really made me think this is the club that was meant for me, not trophies.

I guess its always hard to just accept when its time to move on and expand really, just really gutted we didn't have any room for expansion on Maine Road.

I've been a city fan for a long long time now, but living in Devon i rarely get to see "city" but seeing this makes me feel what it means to be a city fan. It's not about the glitz and glam, I come from a place where 90% is rag. Just because they are perceived as glory. Well I tell you this I have never been so proud. I am so glad I supported City. I cried on the FA cup final & this post makes me realise I've not only joined the best team in the country but the best fans too. Thank-you. It's more than just football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.