Manchester’s Changing Skyline

That one is very out of keeping!
TBH Worsley, I know it's your job etc but I'd rather the existing buildings were modernised and if the need is there for big fuck off stuff it was built out of the City Centre.

Even the accommodation blocks look crap...I can imagine high apartments sold as being able to afford great views, only for a short time later another block being built next to it so all you really see is into other peoples flats.

Just sucks the character out of the place.

Took on Wednesday...first time I've been in the City Centre since we lifted the Prem last year.....

View attachment 77287

Maybe it's just me but going against the grain on here....nor for me.
I tend to always like the city centre towers but I really don’t like that^ nor the proposed one next to The Briton’s Protection (where I already don’t like the hotel next door on the other side).

IMG_2806.jpeg

It’s going to ruin the BP’s decent beer garden.

IMG_2807.jpeg

Nor do I like the plans around the street level of the Sir Ralph Abercrombie with Gary Neville’s tower (despite likening that tower in general, from a distance).

IMG_2809.jpeg

Driving back to Manchester yesterday, along M56 and the City centre skyline poked over the horizon in a slight valley shape… wow that’s a lot of tall buildings these days (I know I’ve seen them up close as well)… having driven back to Manchester many times in my lifetime , the acceleration of building in the last 10 years is incredible (can’t think of right word). I remember when the Beaton tower 1st appeared on the journey back, that was a ‘jolt’.
Heh, I still find it odd seeing the Manchester airport control tower from the M56!

I walked up the Rochdale Canal yesterday evening and it struck me how the new buildings add a character to an increasingly modern city. There are lots of oddities and pieces of the city that just fit. The views from between the Newton Heath locks/David Pegg Walk (76?) and those at Butler Street are urban yet littered with greenery.

TBH Worsley, I know it's your job etc but I'd rather the existing buildings were modernised and if the need is there for big fuck off stuff it was built out of the City Centre.

Even the accommodation blocks look crap...I can imagine high apartments sold as being able to afford great views, only for a short time later another block being built next to it so all you really see is into other peoples flats.

Just sucks the character out of the place.
Agreed. Most of the ones I've seen on here (either real or artists' impressions) are bland looking. Compare them to the likes of the cathedral, the John Rylands library, Chethams, the Central library or the town hall. Try searching YT for a video of a tour inside the Refuge Tower(it'll always be called that by me). It's a stunning building. For Mr, the new ones come across as soulless. And yes; I realise that building structures similar to the ones I've listed above would be damned near impossible from a financial point of view.

There was a tweet going round last week about a Property Developer (sales/marketing) using the over used phrase:

"This is Manchester, we do things different here".

Attributed to Anthony Wilson, but I believe that was made up (may have been from Steve Coogan's portrayal in 24hr Party People).
It is indeed annoying and does the city no favours, but the anti Manchester backlash (what else from Twitter) was a bit much.
It's not a perfect city but I often feel it's growth was heavily curtailed a very long time ago by an over centralised (London centric) country and a lack of versatility in what Manchester was/did (the cotton trade for example).
The sheer amount of development can be seen as either staggering or indeed just the city building on land that should've been developed on over the past 100 years but was stemmed by many factors.

But it doesn't take much for peopler to pile on the city (whether moaning natives, or perhaps more likely those with a hint of jealousy in their responses).
Yes, it's expensive to live here....but where isn't atm?

I've been walking around the city quite a bit recently (and had some well travelled friends up last weekend who are amazed at the amount Manchester offers in arts, sports, concert venues, bars etc). It reminded one of New York in its feel, architect and cultural offerings (not of course, in scale).

There is still a problem around Piccadilly Gardens area from the station down some of Portland Steet and High Street and lower Oldham Street which feels dirty and something I'd like to see tackled asap.

But it's a great city to live in.

https://confidentials.com/mancheste...vw4YEskTQqUjT8gPmL9AB6-WBqcSxf2uUsLvGwZQS79jE

Nice quote from that article (although the city is dirty in part - see the Pics Gardens area mention above):

During the tour with the Germans (see above) we had a little walk from Liverpool Road through Castlefield for coffee at Albert's Shed.

The woman in the green coat, third from the right in the picture below (taken later in Lincoln Square) said: “My family and I have been travelling round the north of England before the match and we have loved the scenery and the villages and cities. We stayed in Newcastle and Liverpool and I wonder why they are so dirty compared to Manchester, is this city wealthier. Manchester is such a clean place.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.