Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep will not have players waiting in row D I can assure you.

Come on, are you really saying Joe has good distribution today?

I really don't follow.

Pep will have his centre halves split and offer an option both side. His holding midfielder will also drop in and offer himself.
That has been evident already.

Where did I say Hart has good distribution? I said he has the ability to play 10-15 yard balls with accuracy.
I believe Pep will give him the opportuntity and confidence to show this.

The first line of my post suggests Pep isn't looking for Pirlo level passing.

I really don't follow.

Pep will have his centre halves split and offer an option both side. His holding midfielder will also drop in and offer himself.
That has been evident already.

Where did I say Hart has good distribution? I said he has the ability to play 10-15 yard balls with accuracy.
I believe Pep will give him the opportuntity and confidence to show this.

The first line of my post suggests Pep isn't looking for Pirlo level passing.
Fair comments. I was alluding that Joe's distribution has been poor. Hopefully as you say, with better options he can improve

Can't argue with that. All I'd say, watch the last 20 minutes of the QPR title win game. Hart is basically playing centre back, bringing balls down on his chest, drilling accurate aggresive forwards passes. I agree it's rarely been seen.
The other part of my post, I don't think he'll need to be that comfortable on the ball to play a Pep system. I think thing will be getting rid of the Englishness is Hart. Anyone can pass it 15 yards. The ability to play it to the edge of the box won't be the issue. Having the nerve/confidence to do so is a different matter.
I'm not saying I was a mint footballer, but I was proffesional coached and played at a decent standard. I was always taught never to give the ball to someone with a "man on". The new England manager has 4 key requirements to his play. One is not to gamble with possession in your own half.

My guess the hardest thing will be that Hart will have to forget all he's been taught throughout his youth.
For me all PL keepers in today's game can accurately pass it 10,15,20 yards, have they got the confidence?

With Joe, time will tell.
I think the QPR example is perfect for the context we're talking about. I read earlier in the thread that somebody who watched him train believed he'd be good enough to play outfield because he could do keepy ups and spray the ball all over the pitch. The important factor that's missing on that is training and match day are worlds apart. Many a would be great footballer can produce magic on the training ground yet fail to replicate it on a match day. The pressures are so much more intense and what you might confidently do without a second thought behind closed doors is an altogether different prospect in front of 50,000 people. That last 20 minutes you talk about was perfect for Joe because QPR were intent on holding on and nothing more - it was basically an attack against defence training drill and when afforded time and space on the ball Joe showed that he's capable.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums up what the problem will be. Passing it 20 yards with confidence. It's something I've struggled to see from him on a regular basis. The positive is I'm sure Peps training drills are helping Joe to deal with this and like Nev said, if he's playing regular for us from the start of the season it's because we have faith in him delivering...or we couldn't get a new keeper.. Haha!

I think the QPR example is perfect for the context we're talking about. I read earlier in the thread that somebody who watched him train believed he'd be good enough to play outfield because he could do keepy ups and spray the ball all over the pitch. The important factor that's missing on that is training and match day are worlds apart. Many a would be great footballer can produce magic on the training ground yet fail to replicate it on a match day. The pressures are so much more intense and what you might confidently do without a second thought behind closed doors is an altogether different prospect in front of 50,000 people. That last 20 minutes you talk about was perfect for Joe because QPR were intent on holding on and nothing more - it was basically an attack against defence training drill and when afforded time and space on the ball Joe showed that he's capable.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums up what the problem will be. Passing it 20 yards with confidence. It's something I've struggled to see from him on a regular basis. The positive is I'm sure Peps training drills are helping Joe to deal with this and like Nev said, if he's playing regular for us from the start of the season it's because we have faith in him delivering...or we couldn't get a new keeper.. Haha!

That's my point, the ability is there. I hope Pep can instil the confidence required. I agree it's more mental than anything else.

Fair comments. I was alluding that Joe's distribution has been poor. Hopefully as you say, with better options he can improve

I agree, his distribution can be infuriating. It is there though. See BMG away, saves a Pen and in the same passage of play put Aguero clean through.

The ability is there, can Pep bring it out of him, can we as a fan base allow the occassional fuck up? I hope so. If not, new keeper will be needed sentiment or not.

I agree, his distribution can be infuriating. It is there though. See BMG away, saves a Pen and in the same passage of play put Aguero clean through.

The ability is there, can Pep bring it out of him, can we as a fan base allow the occassional fuck up? I hope so. If not, new keeper will be needed sentiment or not.

Blue Moon is unforgiving and a vehicle to vent but, I think as a fanbase we all acknowledge that these guys are human and mistakes will be made.

Lol. Yeah we all know his master plan to get round people defending on mass too, it's having a keeper with the touch of Zidane and the vision of Xavi obviously...;-)
It'd certainly help us in regards to getting up the pitch quicker rather than taking an age which we normally do, thus giving the opposition time to get back in numbers.

The whole keeper needs to be able to play thing is vastly over exaggerated on here. The keeper in Peps previous sides didn't have much more involvement in the game than keepers of other top teams. Valdes barely touched the ball at Barca, he just had to make himself available if it was required and play simple square passes and possibly create a triangle if the opposition is closing from the front. Neuer is a bit different because he loves to often needlessly charge out of his box aand involve himself in the game like no other keeper.

The keeper in Peps side simply needs to be comfortable on the ball which is more about confidence than anything else, and Joe has plenty of that (some would argue too much at times) he'll be playing 10 yard square passes most of the time with the odd chipped 20-30 yard pass. We've seen from training clips the keepers are now involved with the rest of the first teams rondo's at the start of training which is as tough as it'll get for whoever's in net. Some on here act like the keeper needs to have Silva's eye for a pass and execution to play in a Pep team. There's no top class keepers around that couldn't fit into Pep's system. It's all about making space and making yourself available, if Joe doesn't have simple passes that anybody can make on at all times then it's the defenders that aren't doing their jobs properly not the keeper.

I agree 100%

Apparently, we have now decided to not bring in a new keeper. I'm guessing Pep is really impressed with Joe. He is passionate and a really hard worker, I don't see why he wouldn't improve and fit Pep's system, like you sad he doesn't need Silva's eye for a pass.

Maybe we were in for another keeper to provide competition for Hart which I'm all for. He can either step up and prove his worth or lose his place. In that case I believe he would step up.

Due to a few mistakes, everyone is overlooking Hart. The problem is that when he makes a mistake it is big news but when other keepers make mistakes, nobody bats an eye. The point is all keepers make mistakes. Go to youtube and type in Buffon mistakes or Neuer mistakes and you will all see that these keepers are also human.

Hart is one of the top keepers in the world. He won the golden glove 3 years in a row playing under Mancini and has 4 in total (tied for most in history with Cech). He was one clean sheet away last season playing in a defense that was unorganized and kept changing with Kompany injured most of the season.

Hart has performed in big games and produced some of the best ever performances for a keeper in the CL.

Joe has also saved penalties from Messi, Zlatan, Lampard and Ronaldihno to name a few.

This season we will be defending as a team which will make Hart's job much easier. He will have a great season IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.