Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit late but Quality from Natalie Pike on 5 live yesterday Fighting Talk show.
Pulled up the Dippers myth regards the fake atmosphere at Clanfield
She will be getting dogs abuse now but refreshing to hear it called out live
Well done Natalie
That's great to hear. Just been listening to Nedum's show on Radio 5 which has been excellent. Just sensible analysis and discussion about football. No juvenile banter just interesting interviews about the game we all love. A breath of fresh air. I hope the tide is turning at the BBC in terms of City coverage. To be fair it is the website that is the biggest issue at the BBC.

That's great to hear. Just been listening to Nedum's show on Radio 5 which has been excellent. Just sensible analysis and discussion about football. No juvenile banter just interesting interviews about the game we all love. A breath of fresh air. I hope the tide is turning at the BBC in terms of City coverage. To be fair it is the website that is the biggest issue at the BBC.
Uses Nedum's showcase refresh
Yes Nedum's show us a good listen.
Sadly the BBC pandering to the talking shite brigade

For all the bullshit of the great rivalry between the two red clubs it’s something like 2 in 30 years that they were battling against each other for the league title,again a myth created by the media and those two clubs PR machines,as for our rivals I don‘t see the rags as rivals ( just derby day )for me at the moment it’s Chelsea and the red scousers..

Bit late but Quality from Natalie Pike on 5 live yesterday Fighting Talk show.
Pulled up the Dippers myth regards the fake atmosphere at Clanfield
She will be getting dogs abuse now but refreshing to hear it called out live
Well done Natalie

Really, Marvin?
You mean since the GPC decided it was when they were miles behind in the number of titles, and the compliant media built it into money spinner it is (for them) now? There's only been about 4 times in the last 50 years where they were direct rivals for the title - about the same as we have been with the dippers over the last 7 or 8 years.
In Manchester in the 60s and 70s United v Liverpool was just another game. My Red pals certainly regarded City as the biggest game. In fact there was mutual dislike from Reds and Blues alike for LFC. It was Ferguson who ramped it up as a rivalry and it has certainly become a huge global match in the PL era (as some have said it's the Dublin derby).
I think the fact that Ferguson is not Mancunian and has never really understood the city (look at his overeaction to the Tevez poster) was another factor. If City are not their biggest rivals why do United fans spend 90 minutes of every match singing songs about us and rarely mention Liverpool. Perhaps it's different in Dublin and Bangkok.

For all the bullshit of the great rivalry between the two red clubs it’s something like 2 in 30 years that they were battling against each other for the league title,again a myth created by the media and those two clubs PR machines,as for our rivals I don‘t see the rags as rivals ( just derby day )for me at the moment it’s Chelsea and the red scousers..
They have only finished as the top 2 twice in history

In Manchester in the 60s and 70s United v Liverpool was just another game. My Red pals certainly regarded City as the biggest game. In fact there was mutual dislike from Reds and Blues alike for LFC. It was Ferguson who ramped it up as a rivalry and it has certainly become a huge global match in the PL era (as some have said it's the Dublin derby).
I think the fact that Ferguson is not Mancunian and has never really understood the city (look at his overeaction to the Tevez poster) was another factor. If City are not their biggest rivals why do United fans spend 90 minutes of every match singing songs about us and rarely mention Liverpool. Perhaps it's different in Dublin and Bangkok.

Or perhaps because they are terminally stupid and cannot learn anything different ?

"Manchester United Versus Liverpool is the biggest game in the Premier League. In fact I'd say it's the biggest Derby in Europe"

Some no nowt on radio.
Thing is, it is a very big game. In the same way that people who aren't actually all that into music will pay attention to Coldplay and BTS, people who aren't particularly into football will often "support" United or Liverpool.

Pumpkin farmers will big-up Halloween because it's their opportunity to reach an otherwise inert audience (and hopefully sell more product at other times of the year) and similarly, the general "Sports Media" (for want of a more accurate term) will big-up El Plastico to try and ramp up the price of advertising.

The really sad thing is that with the demise/deliberate demotion of the FA Cup (by the Premier League), this fixture has been inflated, way above its true sporting value. More often than not, it's a dreadful spectacle that attracts nobody to watch another game and unlike say, Leicester catching Chelsea last year, it is completely devoid of any surprise or romance.

The Premier League and the Sports Media would probably offer the Thatcherite /Reaganism argument that a rising tide lifts all boats and therefore everybody benefits from the promotion of this fixture.

If we accept that though, we must also accept that a guiding (if largely unspoken) principle of Thatcherism is "to let the devil take the hindmost". So, we could argue too that far from "lifting all boats", clubs going down the toilet (City were nearly one of them, remember*) is one cost of this fetishism.

*and have since been vilified for daring to undermine fixture's standing - but that'd be tilling old ground in terms of this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.