Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further down the page there is an article on safe standing that is being allowed in the second half of the season starting at Stamford Bridge today. The article concludes with the view that the whole of those concerned about it will be watching closely to see how it goes.

The BBC must have been on an other planet if they have not been watching the vast number of fans who have been standing at grounds all over the country. Making it official will not alter anything.
The rail will actually make it safer, ironic.

The referee is in contact with both VAR, his assistants and the 4th official. Him going to have a look at the Arsenal penalty on the monitor wasn't necessary because VAR presumably told him there was no decisive footage. Yesterday the media reported that 'VAR had overturned' Atwell's decision on the Silva penalty, they didn't, Atwell overturned his decision based on seeing something he'd not seen first time. If Atwell had told VAR he'd seen the shirt tug but thought there was nothing in it there would have been no review. It sounds like I'm flying the VAR flag, but I'm not, I'd bin it and go back to referees refereeing and linesmen sticking their flag up the minute someone's deemed offside.
I think VAR is definitely here to stay. How I envisaged VAR working on its introduction, was to give the referee another opportunity to see a major Incident he was unsure of. If for instance the only outside interference was for offside and the on pitch referee was left to do the rest. For the penalty incidents yesterday he could of gone to the monitor to give himself a second look at something that happens a great speed in normal play. I may have missed some but I can't remember to many since it's introduction were the referee has been asked to have another look and then not changed his mind. I thought that one of the things that VAR would assist with would be a great reduction in diving for penalties, but it seems more prevalent now than before VAR. What seems to happen now is either the ref gives a really soft penalty (dive) and VAR doesn't get involved because it's not clear and obvious, or the referee doesn't give it and VAR does get involved because of the slightest of touches, tell the referee to have a second look and then he gives it. To sum up VAR is not the problem PIGMOL are the problem and the organisation needs a top to bottom overall.

No real difference from football then, where VAR look without being asked?
I’d say slightly different because in rugby league if the ref doesn’t ask it doesn’t get looked at a Mille football, where VAR can ask the ref to have another look. Not sure about union.
There have been some howlers but the ref usually asks them to look if he feels there could have been an incident.

I think you'll find it was another thing the Romans did for us natives. Color is Latin, not American.
The "u" in all those types of word were artificially added in English to make it more sophisticated. There were two eras when this happened: Elizabethan times where the court wanted to appear more "continentale" and Victorian times when educationalists were obsessed with such matters. "Color" etc was traditional spelling this side of the pond. You would need a lexicographer to date each change correctly. Calling Susie Dent.

Last edited:
Reading through some of the ridiculous comments on social media about yesterday's game, City as a club and the apparent demise of the Premier League it's clear that they're are both too many people employed in the media relating to football and those that aren't have too much free time at this time of the year to spout their shit.
I've read things such as saying Attwell deliberately blocked Martinelli's sight of goal after Ake's goal line clearance "...what was the ref doing in the box anyway...?" - as if it's evidence of City paying off refs (!), a raft of comments from Dippers about sportswashing, cheating, unlimited resources, soulless club etc. etc. Journos saying the PL has lost it's credibility "if it allows teams to win like City did yesterday..." - then comes the responses summed up as "they don't need any help with their squad".
I seriously worry about the mental health of these other fans - they really need to take a step back and get things in perspective. If City winning yesterday - and we weren't at our best and Arsenal were much the better team for the first half - winds them up to that extent then they have issues that go beyond watching football.
Social media, eh?

I’d say slightly different because in rugby league if the ref doesn’t ask it doesn’t get looked at a Mille football, where VAR can ask the ref to have another look. Not sure about union.
There have been some howlers but the ref usually asks them to look if he feels there could have been an incident.
which then goes back to my previous question that if he doesn't ask, it doesn't get reviewed, so he can still get it wrong

Yes, it was plain to see how soulless our club is from the way they kept going for the full 90+ minutes and the way they celebrated joyously - the whole squad - when Rodri scored the winner.
Yes, they're a soulless lot, aren't they!?
:-)
Not to mention City fans getting to the Emirates early doors NYD and going suitably bonkers at the goal. So soulless.
I liked the commentator who said "Some of these City fans set off last year to get here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.