Mount Everest deaths

Problem is that the local communities depend a lot on the people that do the climbing - I do however agree with your overall point
This is a relatively recent pastime and therefore income for local communities.
The Victoria's started it. So less than 200 years old.

Read loads of books on Everest, one of the best was “Four Against Everest”. Barmy American (Woodrow Wilon Sayre) with 3 mates tried to climb by the North Col route in 1962 without getting official permission.

The book “Everest The Unclimbed Ridge” by Chris Bonnington is a very poignant story as two of Britains greatest climbers Peter Boardman and Joe Tasker vanished during a blizzard in 1982. Boardman’s body has been located by other expeditions but still no sign of Tasker.

Too many permits given out.
I went to Nepal at the beginning of their VISIT NEPAL 2020 campaign. It was massive. So was COVID-19 a month or so later... and then tourism ended for years. Huge losses and economic smashing.

Nepal reopened and set new guides to hikers rules, but also allowed more permits. China never will allow many laowei to climb that face, so the foreigners have to go via Nepal. Nepal and its people need money. Over-crowding and rushed expeditions tarnish an amazing place and wonderful mix of cultures. Everyone who climbs wants the big one and rush in, rush out. Perhaps, it is better to take some time and see the other peaks, views, and support the hobby with unique views. Possibly.

If I remember rightly, Nepal issued something like 450 permits to climb Everest this Spring. With all the support, guides etc, it meant about 900 people would be climbing the mountain.

Crazy.
There'll be a lot more going without permits.

Read loads of books on Everest, one of the best was “Four Against Everest”. Barmy American (Woodrow Wilon Sayre) with 3 mates tried to climb by the North Col route in 1962 without getting official permission.

The book “Everest The Unclimbed Ridge” by Chris Bonnington is a very poignant story as two of Britains greatest climbers Peter Boardman and Joe Tasker vanished during a blizzard in 1982. Boardman’s body has been located by other expeditions but still no sign of Tasker.
Likewise there aren't many books about Everest I haven't read.

They way some rich tossers treat the mountain is disgusting, no respect at all. Years ago you did your climbing apprenticeship. Scotland, Wales and The Lake District honed your skills then you moved onto The Alps. Some of them are near enough carried up. Dressed, undressed, fed and watered. All they do is write a check for $60k.

I went to a talk by the mountaineer Steven Venables, (not the scouse P.O.S.) and shook his hand. I'll never summit Everest but it's the nearest I'll ever get!

Too many permits given out.
I went to Nepal at the beginning of their VISIT NEPAL 2020 campaign. It was massive. So was COVID-19 a month or so later... and then tourism ended for years. Huge losses and economic smashing.

Nepal reopened and set new guides to hikers rules, but also allowed more permits. China never will allow many laowei to climb that face, so the foreigners have to go via Nepal. Nepal and its people need money. Over-crowding and rushed expeditions tarnish an amazing place and wonderful mix of cultures. Everyone who climbs wants the big one and rush in, rush out. Perhaps, it is better to take some time and see the other peaks, views, and support the hobby with unique views. Possibly.
I stay in Inner Mongolia province from time to time and one thing I notice is that due to the rarified air, it takes me about 2 weeks to operate at a similar level as in the U.K. I tire here quite quickly.
Do people get the necessary time built into their adventure to recover from jet lag and acclimatise fully before starting the climb?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.