New fans/tourists are embarrassing

AdamoTheGreat said:
If ADUG sold the club tommorrow, I would remain a suppoprter. I am a football fanatic first and foremost and in the greatest league in the world I have chosen to support Manchester City. End of. It would be easy to hop on the endless bandwagon of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool supporters but I have chosen to support a project in its infancy and be a part of something that will grow into a dynasty. Hate me all you want, I have great football knowledge, been to matches in a number of countries across North America and in Eastern Europe. I'm not here to support one player of my nationality like many do...I'm of Polish ancestry, living in Toronto Canada. What connection do I have with the city of Manchester? None. Other than I hate Chelsea United and Liverpool with an absolute passion. Some of you elitists need to accept new fans as not all will be clueless birds.

You are telling us that, regardless of circumstances, you will always be a City fan because that is just what 'you are'.

But in the same passage you are peppering you rhetoric with language begging to be ridiculed. All because it 'sounds like' what a 'big fan' of an English football team is supposed to sound like.

Justifying supporting City (and I'm not saying you have to justifying - but that is what you are attempting to do) by talking of not taking 'the easy option' of United or Chelsea is like me suddenly proclaiming myself to be a huge Green Bay Packers fan and painting it as 'choosing' a back water, small time outfit that has little chance of success, just because they aren't the New England Patriots.

It's nonsense. Anyone 'choosing' City since the takeover would have to be extremely naive not to see the glamour and future success that the money brought/will bring. It isn't ' a noble choice'. Rochdale would be that. Bury would be that. Maybe even Bolton. But City, with the hugely powerful position they are in? Come on. Don't try to dress it up like that. It just seems silly.

And the 'hating Chelsea and United stuff'. More silly rhetoric that is often used by, and I'll say it, gloryhunters to justify their 'choice'. There are very few lifelong English football supporters that genuinely 'hate' another team. In the true sense of the word. Even less when you remove local rivalries from that equation.

So to suggest that people so far removed from 'the action' actually hate a sports club(s) around the other side of the world just sounds like complete fantasy and another attempt to justify a 'choice' and show what is thought to be the required 'passion'.

I'd go as far as to say that anyone from a different country who claims to genuinely 'hate' a foreign sports club (for reasons that aren't related to politics or matters outside of sport) is either a liar or unbalanced.

Yet I hear that claim again and again because people are desperate to sound what they think a 'massive fan' sounds like.

What I don't dispute is that you may be hugely knowledgeable about the game and may have a genuine love for it. But to paint the devotion to City in such language and be part of the cheap and, in my view anyway, insulting attempts of many 'foreign' (and I'll include many, but not all, England based and English - non Manchester - fans in this definition of foreign) to seek to equate their 'choice' to the connection felt by people who have grown up with the club and in the area it represents (and it does represent Manchester and its people, as much as many would love to paint that as no longer the case) is just plain silly.

In fact, that is what gets my goat the most in such debates. Fine, if I decide that I want the Dallas Cowboys to start winning Superbowls because I like something about them, I'm going to think like that whatever people in Dallas think. But I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever seek to or want to compare my newfound support for Dallas with that of the people of Dallas or to even begin to attempt to equate it in any way at all. It would be nonsense and, without being in anyway personal, I find it complete nonsense when someone who has no connection with the area of Manchester seeks to do the same with City.

I would be someone with an interest in Dallas who would like them to win. Not a fan in any traditional genuine sense of the word.

Nothing personal to that post as I;m sure there are loads more like that on this thread that I haven't read - and even if there isn't, it is the staple language of the 'big club choice' fan around the world.

AdamoTheGreat said:
If ADUG sold the club tommorrow, I would remain a suppoprter. I am a football fanatic first and foremost and in the greatest league in the world I have chosen to support Manchester City. End of. It would be easy to hop on the endless bandwagon of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool supporters but I have chosen to support a project in its infancy and be a part of something that will grow into a dynasty. Hate me all you want, I have great football knowledge, been to matches in a number of countries across North America and in Eastern Europe. I'm not here to support one player of my nationality like many do...I'm of Polish ancestry, living in Toronto Canada. What connection do I have with the city of Manchester? None. Other than I hate Chelsea United and Liverpool with an absolute passion. Some of you elitists need to accept new fans as not all will be clueless birds.
I am not against new fans and I have accepted it is something that is inevitably going to happen. However I don't think it helps when you say things like "I hate Chelsea, United and Liverpool with an absolute passion".

Hate is a strong word but ignoring that for a minute why do you hate them ? I'll ignore the rags as that's an obvious one but could justifiably say I hate Liverpool (I don't actually) for a number of reasons. Like being sick of them winning everything during the spell in the 70s/80s. Also because of being on the receiving end of several heavy defeats to them during that time. Possibly the biggest reason would be the rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool and the likelihood that back in the day if you went to Anfield then you were likely to get chased back to Lime St station by scousers with stanley knives. Now those are reasons why longer term fans will say they hate another club. What are your reasons ?

Embarrassing.

Anyone would think that our support has been an endless conveyor belt of achingly trendy supporters with a steely sense of understated cool.

Anyone remember monkey chants from the Kippax to John Chideoze in 1985?

Anyone remember City fans throwing seats at the disabled section at Grimsby away in 1983?

Anyone remember the Hillsborough chants, again from the Kippax, against Liverpool in 1989? Yes that's right, 1989.

And who can forget the pitch invasion against Spurs in 1993? Now that was embarrassing.

Some of our fans have an absurd sense of nostalgia.

And a complete failure to appreciate what they should really find embarrassing.

Makes me laugh when the rags trot out the fairly predictable 'empty blue seat' shite. Just havent had the same amount of sustained success to build a day tripper following like they have, but its coming, with big fuckin' bells on.

Just going to have to learn to accept it blues, and hope the loyalty point system does the job its supposed to do. A full house beats half empty any day of the week.

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "fans who don't welcome new fans are embarrassing". I for one couldn't give a toss where a an comes from or how long they have supported City, the only thing that matters is they support City. The bloke and his son who sit next to me and my lad are both season ticket holders like us, they come from Gloucester for every home game, and you know what, a lot of the outside town supporters like them show a lot more commitment than some who live in Manchester, travelling 4 or 5 hours(and more for some) to every home game. My philosophy is if I see a new fan sat near me taking pictures, I'll ask if he wants his picture taken and shake his hand and welcome him to our great club!

eastlands oasis said:
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "fans who don't welcome new fans are embarrassing". I for one couldn't give a toss where a an comes from or how long they have supported City, the only thing that matters is they support City. The bloke and his son who sit next to me and my lad are both season ticket holders like us, they come from Gloucester for every home game, and you know what, a lot of the outside town supporters like them show a lot more commitment than some who live in Manchester, travelling 4 or 5 hours(and more for some) to every home game. My philosophy is if I see a new fan sat near me taking pictures, I'll ask if he wants his picture taken and shake his hand and welcome him to our great club!

Here bloody here.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
AdamoTheGreat said:

You are telling us that, regardless of circumstances, you will always be a City fan because that is just what 'you are'.

But in the same passage you are peppering you rhetoric with language begging to be ridiculed. All because it 'sounds like' what a 'big fan' of an English football team is supposed to sound like.

Justifying supporting City (and I'm not saying you have to justifying - but that is what you are attempting to do) by talking of not taking 'the easy option' of United or Chelsea is like me suddenly proclaiming myself to be a huge Green Bay Packers fan and painting it as 'choosing' a back water, small time outfit that has little chance of success, just because they aren't the New England Patriots.

It's nonsense. Anyone 'choosing' City since the takeover would have to be extremely naive not to see the glamour and future success that the money brought/will bring. It isn't ' a noble choice'. Rochdale would be that. Bury would be that. Maybe even Bolton. But City, with the hugely powerful position they are in? Come on. Don't try to dress it up like that. It just seems silly.

And the 'hating Chelsea and United stuff'. More silly rhetoric that is often used by, and I'll say it, gloryhunters to justify their 'choice'. There are very few lifelong English football supporters that genuinely 'hate' another team. In the true sense of the word. Even less when you remove local rivalries from that equation.

So to suggest that people so far removed from 'the action' actually hate a sports club(s) around the other side of the world just sounds like complete fantasy and another attempt to justify a 'choice' and show what is thought to be the required 'passion'.

I'd go as far as to say that anyone from a different country who claims to genuinely 'hate' a foreign sports club (for reasons that aren't related to politics or matters outside of sport) is either a liar or unbalanced.

Yet I hear that claim again and again because people are desperate to sound what they think a 'massive fan' sounds like.

What I don't dispute is that you may be hugely knowledgeable about the game and may have a genuine love for it. But to paint the devotion to City in such language and be part of the cheap and, in my view anyway, insulting attempts of many 'foreign' (and I'll include many, but not all, England based and English - non Manchester - fans in this definition of foreign) to seek to equate their 'choice' to the connection felt by people who have grown up with the club and in the area it represents (and it does represent Manchester and its people, as much as many would love to paint that as no longer the case) is just plain silly.

In fact, that is what gets my goat the most in such debates. Fine, if I decide that I want the Dallas Cowboys to start winning Superbowls because I like something about them, I'm going to think like that whatever people in Dallas think. But I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever seek to or want to compare my newfound support for Dallas with that of the people of Dallas or to even begin to attempt to equate it in any way at all. It would be nonsense and, without being in anyway personal, I find it complete nonsense when someone who has no connection with the area of Manchester seeks to do the same with City.

I would be someone with an interest in Dallas who would like them to win. Not a fan in any traditional genuine sense of the word.

Nothing personal to that post as I;m sure there are loads more like that on this thread that I haven't read - and even if there isn't, it is the staple language of the 'big club choice' fan around the world.

Yawn..

Does anyone want to go for a pint?

Everyone here has been a "new fan"

Everyone here has been to their first match

Hopefully "We" the fans who have been going for awhile won't be priced out of attending by people who may be willing to pay more for the seat.

This is my only concern - a huge increase in cost, which would/could stop me from attending matches.

Anybody on here from Manchester who either cheers for or against any team in any North American sport can go fuck off, you glory hunters!

Just kidding. :)

robsta said:
AdamoTheGreat said:
I am not against new fans and I have accepted it is something that is inevitably going to happen. However I don't think it helps when you say things like "I hate Chelsea, United and Liverpool with an absolute passion".

Hate is a strong word but ignoring that for a minute why do you hate them ? I'll ignore the rags as that's an obvious one but could justifiably say I hate Liverpool (I don't actually) for a number of reasons. Like being sick of them winning everything during the spell in the 70s/80s. Also because of being on the receiving end of several heavy defeats to them during that time. Possibly the biggest reason would be the rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool and the likelihood that back in the day if you went to Anfield then you were likely to get chased back to Lime St station by scousers with stanley knives. Now those are reasons why longer term fans will say they hate another club. What are your reasons ?

Probably lost a title decider to them on a game of Fifa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.