Next season is MH more likely to play 442 or 433?

the--dud said:
Simples:

mcfc_dream.jpg

Robbie and Tevez playing as wide striker type players and NDJ as a holding midfielder...

That exact team at home for me but the intriguing option against lesser teams that come for a draw is

............................Given................................

Zabs...............Neds/VK..........Lescott...........Bridge

.......................Ireland..........Barry

Swp..........................................................Petrov

........................Tevez/Robbie...............................

............................Adebayor/RSC

Two wide players, a target man and Ireland creating in the middle. Barry can sit a little and no need for Ndj as the other team wont see the ball

the--dud said:
Simples:

mcfc_dream.jpg

Robbie and Tevez playing as wide striker type players and NDJ as a holding midfielder...

One thing about this pic scares me, if my memory serves me right thats a picture of OT in the back ground :/

- if thats the squad we play there though - oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh weeeeee

Just reading "inverting the pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson which is a history of football tactics. Only up to the 60s so far, but it's amazing how familiar arguments about "direct" football, and players not understanding simple tactics are. Some things never change!

The 'inverting' part is because the earlyish systems were attack heavy like 2-3-5, whereas now it's more often 1 up front and the suggestion is that 4-4-2 is becoming obsolete.

For city, I'd assume we play a back 4 plus De Jong holding, Barry being defensive minded, and Ireland roaming with one of the front 3 hopefully covering for him when needed.

ps. didn't keegan play 4-1-3-2? Etuhu and then Foe playing the 1, which he said was the key position on the field - then with England I seem to remember Tony Adams saying how frightening it was watching Ince, as the 1, try and take on the entire swarming Portugal midfield at Euro 2000, when everyone else was attacking!

Keegan played 3-5-2 with wingbacks the season we went up. SWP was one and i think Granville was the other

Love all these formations but seem to remember Hughes saying last season he wanted to play 4 -4- 2 but didnt have the players. Reckon he has now though !

Didsbury Dave said:
Keegan played 3-5-2 with wingbacks the season we went up. SWP was one and i think Granville was the other

He got Niclas Jensen halfway through the season for the left wingback position. He had a cracking left foot.

Matt.D said:
Project said:
433 of course. We didn't have the personnel for 442 last year and it's even more so this year

can i ask how you work that one out? im not saying we'l play 4-4-2 but we are certainly ALOT more equipt to do it this year if we wanted.

I have no idea how we are going to set the side up and i dont think we will find out until the blackburn game

Because we haven't brought in any wide players, so not much has changed. Tevez is always going to be a narrower player than SWP in that 433. Adebayor or RSC can play as a front 2, but you lose way too much in midfield as Robinho is ineffective defensively and thus wasted as a LM. Ultimately the formation is because of 2 players - Robinho and Ireland. Neither makes sense in a midfield 4.

Can see us mostly playing a midfield and forward line like this :-

De Jong/Kompany ............. Barry

............................Ireland ......................

Tevez ................... ...........................Robinho

..........................Adebayor

I can see the odd occasion we may go 4-4-2 with something like this to rest players( without defence) :-

SWP - Kompany/De Jong - Barry - Petrov

RSC - Adebayor

Well it`s what I would consider given the opposition anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.