North Stand Expansion

Took a photo of the Manchester skyline whilst out cycling last night. If you look careful you can see the two cranes and the Etihad on the far right of the photo View attachment 121429

That skyline!
There's a painting that's always fascinated me. It's called View of Manchester, painted by Willian Wyld in 1851. Wonder if anyone knows it? Beautiful countryside immediately outside Manchester to the east — as it is to this day — but at that period you looked down from a bucolic landscape into a vast bowl of smokestacks — the biggest no doubt in the world at the time. There's a lover and his lass sitting on the grass doing exactly that.
How things have changed.

Edit: it's not actually called what I thought it was called (that's the name given on the back of my copy of Gaskell's Mary Barton, which uses the painting on the front cover). It's called Manchester from Kersal Moor. I don't think I've ever been on walks on Kersal Moor.

Last edited:
That skyline!
There's a painting that's always fascinated me. It's called View of Manchester, painted by Willian Wyld in 1851. Wonder if anyone knows it? Beautiful countryside immediately outside Manchester to the east — as it is to this day — but at that period you looked down from a bucolic landscape into a vast bowl of smokestacks — the biggest no doubt in the world at the time. There's a lover and his lass sitting on the grass doing exactly that.
How things have changed.

Edit: it's not actually called what I thought it was called (that's the name given on the back of my copy of Gaskell's Mary Barton, which uses the painting on the front cover). It's called Manchester from Kersal Moor. I don't think I've ever been on walks on Kersal Moor.
Here it is.
That skyline!
How things have changed.

here we go
IMG_9204.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.