North Stand Expansion

Tell you what, I'm no engineer, but I bet those transfer cables and then the definitive cables are taking some phenomenal tension.

Fuck yeah. It is an exciting thing to follow, but also somewhat scary, and I'm really glad there are a few here that seem to appreciate how delicate all this is.

They will have microsensors on the anchor to monitor any movement as they do it, but it is still a hell of a thing to manage.

Because it is ultimately all linked. The angled pier that will eventually be removed, is helped in tension in both directions. So if you transfer the roof cables to the new structure, fair enough you have held the roof up, but that balance of forces on the pier itself is now removed. And if you remove the back cables too, something needs to prop it, at that angle. That's before they can even attempt to actually manoeuvre it out.

And the 14 cables they transfer aren't holding just the north stand roof up, they tighten the east and west sides too, and that tension needs maintained at the junctions.

The ultimately eventually discarded propping and temporary works alone in this, are probably the equivalent of a small stand structure its own right, imo.

How will they actually move the cables across to the new support do you think? The tension on them must be incredible. Also, is the roof section unsupported as the cable end is moved from the mast to the tower?

How will they actually move the cables across to the new support do you think? The tension on them must be incredible. Also, is the roof section unsupported as the cable end is moved from the mast to the tower?
My guess would be they would attach new cables to take on the load then remove the old ones. But that's just a guess

My guess would be they would attach new cables to take on the load then remove the old ones. But that's just a guess
Don't think so, not as I understand it.

They will effectively build a caged clamp around the whole front lot. And new steel to the back node. And then tighten it, while loosening the existing back cables, incramentally, till all the tension is transferred onto the new cage.

Annoyingly, that one particular image is blurry that the notes on it are impossible to read. Let me see if I can highlight what I assume is happening though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.