North Stand Expansion

Sisk in talks to build £300m Man City stadium expansion

Will Ing
John Sisk & Son is in talks to build the £300m expansion of Manchester City Football Club’s Ethiad Stadium, Construction News can reveal.

The Premier League winners are planning to add an upper stand, with 7,700 seats, to the North Stand at their stadium in east Manchester. The proposed expansion would also see a 3,000-capacity fan zone with food and drink outlets, as well as a club shop, museum, office space and hotel.

Laing O’Rourke had been in advanced talks over building the scheme, but walked away from the project last month, having failed to agree a deal. Manchester City Football Club subsequently reached out to several other contractors.

Sisk is already working on preliminary groundworks relating to the project, but CN understands that the Irish contractor is now also in advanced talks about delivering the entire scheme, subject to it receiving planning permission from Manchester City Council.

Manchester City Football Club has previously said the project would involve “over £300m investment in the east Manchester area”, although the value and type of construction contract are unknown.

An official contractor announcement is expected to be made in the autumn, with work starting around November. The works would take the stadium’s capacity up to 61,000.

The football club is hoping to open the newly upgraded North Stand by August 2025, ready for the 2025/26 season, while it expects the hotel and public realm works to be complete by mid-to-late 2026.

Manchester City revealed plans in 2014 to boost the stadium's capacity to around 60,000, with its South Stand and North Stand to be enlarged. However, only the proposals to upgrade the South Stand with a third tier have so far come to fruition, with Laing O’Rourke completing the 6,000-seat job.

Manchester City Football Club and Sisk were contacted for comment.

Unfortunately, I have been told I will not be working on this project but a couple of colleagues are. The reports in the media are that Laing O'Rourke walked away but from what I've heard it was more of a push. The inhouse team at City sound like they know exactly what they want and will not be backed into a corner by any contractor. The consultant in me says they are hard work, but as a fan I feel they mirror what our Chairman and CEO possess. Very shrewd and meticulous.

Either way, the club will get what they want and this will take a little while longer than the timeframes that have been widely reported. Just my view, don't shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, I have been told I will not be working on this project but a couple of colleagues are. The reports in the media are that Laing O'Rourke walked away but from what I've heard it was more of a push. The inhouse team at City sound like they know exactly what they want and will not be backed into a corner by any contractor. The consultant in me says they are hard work, but as a fan I feel they mirror what our Chairman and CEO possess. Very shrewd and meticulous.

Either way, the club will get what they want and this will take a little while longer than the timeframes that have been widely reported. Just my view, don't shoot the messenger.

The South stand expansion and Coop Live Arena are a learning curve.

Not in the business, like many on here are, and who know whats involved, but construction costs have rocketed over the last few years, not to mention supply chain and trades person issues.

Looks like City want to be in complete control of the build making sure build costs don't escalate.

That aside. Will somebody finish off the snagging on the South stand. Having access to the interior of the stand via 1894 really brings home how poor the finish is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.