North Stand Expansion

That would be great but won’t work unfortunately. See the tram as an example of what happens with transport operators. City and oakview will need to co invest with the council or when we go to 62k even without other events on there will be chaos. At present there are barely enough car parks to cope, and they all charge a tenner, very soon that will be £20.

Also I read recently that there will be no guarantees that co op live event won’t avoid clashing with matches, though I think it will only occur 2-3 times a season, that will cause carnage.

Also we need to factor in hundreds of missing on street parking spaces from next season.
Agree there needs to be a solution, however the club's sustainability strategy was a bit of a token effort and gives no confidence that it will be done, and only concentrated on travel to the City Centre. If your last train or bus home is 10.30pm there is nothing the club can/will do to help.

Looking at the 2040 transport strategy, it is planning for 50k new residents in the City Centre by that date, which includes the area around the stadium and up to the Central Park tram stop north of Oldham Road, and there a centripetal focus due to that. There are vague Tram/Rail proposals for more integrated system but based around Piccadilly station. You can spend billions on a new rail line and it will help less than 10% of the fans. The immediate solution to the imminent parking restrictions is orbital park and ride locations 4/5 miles away in different locations, but that will only mitigate the problem slightly and could be seen as shifting congestion elsewhere if big enough to have an impact, and would need 54 double-decker bus trips for just 10% of the crowd as it stands.

The problems will be upon us far quicker than any package of measures could be rolled out and it will end up in meltdown. A lot of the planning seems to assume it is people with unlimited time going to the match on their own from areas already well served with public transport, not young and old people travelling 4 to a car from areas without great links.

Agree there needs to be a solution, however the club's sustainability strategy was a bit of a token effort and gives no confidence that it will be done, and only concentrated on travel to the City Centre. If your last train or bus home is 10.30pm there is nothing the club can/will do to help.

Looking at the 2040 transport strategy, it is planning for 50k new residents in the City Centre by that date, which includes the area around the stadium and up to the Central Park tram stop north of Oldham Road, and there a centripetal focus due to that. There are vague Tram/Rail proposals for more integrated system but based around Piccadilly station. You can spend billions on a new rail line and it will help less than 10% of the fans. The immediate solution to the imminent parking restrictions is orbital park and ride locations 4/5 miles away in different locations, but that will only mitigate the problem slightly and could be seen as shifting congestion elsewhere if big enough to have an impact, and would need 54 double-decker bus trips for just 10% of the crowd as it stands.

The problems will be upon us far quicker than any package of measures could be rolled out and it will end up in meltdown. A lot of the planning seems to assume it is people with unlimited time going to the match on their own from areas already well served with public transport, not young and old people travelling 4 to a car from areas without great links.
Remote parking hubs was partly in my thinking but also buses direct to places like bury where I live and plenty to stockport which has plenty of blues but no direct public transport link at present.

Remote ish parking hubs will happen anyway naturally as when the chaos starts, people like me will get dropped off and picked up by family/ friends/ Ubers a few hundred yards away in the thousands.

just to reiterate the buses could be used by gm transport during the week for extra rush hour capacity As a shared resource.

really metrolink need to up there game massively as buscalone won’t be enough. Minimum 3 double to ashton and 6 to town need be queued up and away from the Etihad within 15 mins off full time.

Remote parking hubs was partly in my thinking but also buses direct to places like bury where I live and plenty to stockport which has plenty of blues but no direct public transport link at present.

Remote ish parking hubs will happen anyway naturally as when the chaos starts, people like me will get dropped off and picked up by family/ friends/ Ubers a few hundred yards away in the thousands.

just to reiterate the buses could be used by gm transport during the week for extra rush hour capacity As a shared resource.

really metrolink need to up there game massively as buscalone won’t be enough. Minimum 3 double to ashton and 6 to town need be queued up and away from the Etihad within 15 mins off full time.
Power issues is probably why they don’t just throw more trams on. For us from Bury then the Sandhills stop might be useful when it gets built as that will be a manageable walk for most and will mean we can avoid the city centre or just run shuttle buses up ATW to Queens Road/Irish centre with a Monsall stop for the Oldham line (although I wouldn’t want to be there at night - maybe Central Park would be better). It would need a bus lane up ATW though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.