Oasis reunion

Gigsandtours is just SJM’s white label of See Tickets - it’s the same ticket allocation and same infrastructure, just when people book through G&T, SJM get money from the booking fees too….

Ticketmaster is by far the biggest ticket agent with the biggest infrastructure. They’re of course owned by live nation so yes they always have the biggest ticket allocation for the massive shows.

The whole industry needs a shake up really. Newer startup ticket agents like DICE have demonstrated it’s possible to run a commercial ticketing operation without ripping people off.
Why do you think it took Ticketmaster so long to process the sales on Saturday?

I appreciate demand was high, but you hear of tours selling out in 5 minutes, why did this take 7 hours?

Surely Amazon, Meta or Google could knock up the infrastructure needed to sell tickets and handle the volumes way better than Ticketmaster can? What's stopping them?

Expect Oasis to show at least 1 PPV concert, possibly the first or last concert.

If the rumour is true that 14mill people tried to buy tickets, the viewing figures on TV for one concert will be huge. Times that by £25 to watch the concert, or whatever Oasis will charge.

Why do you think it took Ticketmaster so long to process the sales on Saturday?

I appreciate demand was high, but you hear of tours selling out in 5 minutes, why did this take 7 hours?

Surely Amazon, Meta or Google could knock up the infrastructure needed to sell tickets and handle the volumes way better than Ticketmaster can? What's stopping them?

Sheer volume of traffic. Events like this are basically a DDOS attack on their servers.

The fact the website didn’t crash completely is actually a pretty big achievement.

I don’t know for sure but it wouldn’t surprise me if Ticketmaster already ran on AWS (Amazon) servers.

It’s a massive technical challenge and it’s always going to be a bit of a shit show unfortunately.

I’m not a Ticketmaster apologist btw - their fees are extortionate and the surge pricing is cynical act of profiteering (though SJM as the promoter had every right to opt out of this, and didn’t, so they’re just as culpable as are the band through their agent and management).

Just I know what goes on behind the curtain and it’s not as easy and simple as people think.

Expect Oasis to show at least 1 PPV concert, possibly the first or last concert.

If the rumour is true that 14mill people tried to buy tickets, the viewing figures on TV for one concert will be huge. Times that by £25 to watch the concert, or whatever Oasis will charge.

Sounds good but the mrs is going to kick off about having to clean up several pints of piss off the telly and the living room carpet.

Hundreds of Oasis fans have made official complaints about how tickets for the band's reunion tour were advertised, as the government pledged to look into the use of "dynamic pricing".

Ministers have now said they will include dynamic pricing in a consultation into ticket resale websites, which had already been announced by the government and will start in the autumn.

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy said she wants to end "rip-off resales" and ensure tickets are sold "at fair prices".

On Ticketmaster, the cost of some tickets rose to more than £350 - up from £135 when the sale began on Saturday.

Sheer volume of traffic. Events like this are basically a DDOS attack on their servers.

The fact the website didn’t crash completely is actually a pretty big achievement.

I don’t know for sure but it wouldn’t surprise me if Ticketmaster already ran on AWS (Amazon) servers.

It’s a massive technical challenge and it’s always going to be a bit of a shit show unfortunately.

I’m not a Ticketmaster apologist btw - their fees are extortionate and the surge pricing is cynical act of profiteering (though SJM as the promoter had every right to opt out of this, and didn’t, so they’re just as culpable as are the band through their agent and management).

Just I know what goes on behind the curtain and it’s not as easy and simple as people think.
Surely there are other events that see a similar surge in traffic that don't make you wait 7 hours?

Kim Kardashian's latest selfie, games being released in the run up to xmas etc? I can't ever recall Amazon or Instagram crashing / running exceptionally slow due to sheer volume of traffic.

Surely in 2024 there is a better tech solution than what happened on Saturday.

(I'm not blaming you btw, just interested from someone with knowledge of the industry).

The whole industry needs a shake up really. Newer startup ticket agents like DICE have demonstrated it’s possible to run a commercial ticketing operation without ripping people off.
Was just about to mention Dice. Going to see Charly Bliss as part of the Pitchfork Festival in London in November and had never come across them before. £22 for three bands at a pretty popular venue - not bad value.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.