Pep and the Boston Celtics

In terms of professional sports yes it is.
Professional basketball and ice hockey tried and failed in the UK (even the rags had a basketball team) but it was all style over substance. Folk went when the free tickets were dished out at the Nynex Arena but once the freebies stopped so did the punters.

We played it too at school, i suspect it had more to do being able to be indoors and doing sports in the winter months......

Ice hockey is great fun. Me and a mate of mine got kind of into it after watching the winter Olympics a few years ago. Went to see a couple of games at the little ice hockey arena in Altrincham. Was about a fiver to get in, cheap pints, fairly easy to follow a fun and friendly atmosphere.

Quite fancy going again but I think that venue closed down?

Ice Hockey aint actually a bad watch, I've started following the San Jose Sharks on my dodgy firestick. Its a bit like 5 a side on ice with more violence!
It is good. Been to see the Tampa Lightning a few times.
In between reeling out the police / fire and ambulance chiefs and the local soldier who has just come back from Afghanistan and singing the national anthem, there was a decent night's entertainment there.....

James Naismith
Canadian-American educator and physician

Description​

James Naismith was a Canadian-American physical educator, physician, Christian chaplain, and sports coach, best known as the inventor of the game of basketball. After moving to the United States, he wrote the original basketball rule book and founded the University of Kansas basketball program in 1898. Wikipedia
Plus the international basketball Hall of Fame is here in Springfield MA.

The craziest thing about basketball is that it took 10 years for them to create nets and a further 6 to cut a hole in the bottom of them.

For the first 16years of basketball’s existence, every time a team scored, they had to climb a ladder to retrieve the ball!

Ice hockey is great fun. Me and a mate of mine got kind of into it after watching the winter Olympics a few years ago. Went to see a couple of games at the little ice hockey arena in Altrincham. Was about a fiver to get in, cheap pints, fairly easy to follow a fun and friendly atmosphere.

Quite fancy going again but I think that venue closed down?
No. ice Hockey in Altrincham is still going strong. Manchester Storm play their home games there. They play in the Elite league which is the top tier of Ice Hockey in this country.
I don't know if the Ice Rink has moved but they play at one close to the tram station. I think it is called Blades Ice Rink.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.