Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter what tactics Pep puts out, we ain't good enough according to PeterTheRed.
[QUOTE
Quote from: PeterTheRed on August 3, 2016, 11:48:09 AM
GK: Hart, Caballero

Hart is nowhere near good enough. He's prone to mishaps just like Mignolet, in fact their fans treat him with as much disdain as we do with the Belgian.

FB: Sagna, Clichy, Kolarov, Zabaleta

All over 30, with the exception of Clichy, have lost more than a yard of pace due to either age or injuries. All in need of replacement, but none forthcoming this season. I like Kolarov, but even he's come in for criticism. Unless if Man City decides to sit deep this year, none of them are capable of playing a high line without major risks. Vardy would have a field day.

CD: Kompany, Otamendi, Stones (?), Mangala, Denayer

Kompany, like Gundogan, has chronic injuries. Otamendi is a good CB, but yet to still find his feet in the PL consistently. Mangala was terrible last season, Denayer has been out on loan most of the time, hasn't even had regular PL time yet. Stones? Who knows. He fits the Guardiola profile for a ball playing CB, and I do like his potential. But he is nowhere good enough yet for PL competition, nevermind Europe.

CM: Fernandinho, Gundogan, Fernando, Toure, Delph

Again, old and in need of replacement. Yaya's a basketcase now, at 33, he's nowhere near mobile enough. Fernandinho and Fernando are inconsistent at best, can be good, but also have terrible nights, usually as a pair. There's even talk now of converting Fernandinho to a CB now. Gundogan is a great controller, but as I said before, you're rolling dice as to when he'll be injured again. Delph? Right.
AM: Silva, De Bruyne, Nolito, Nasri, Sane, Navas, Sterling, Zinchenko
ST: Aguero, Bony, Iheanacho

Possibly the strongest attack on paper in the Preimer League. But you can only put out a maximum of four of them at once.
They are a bit heavy in attacking midfield, something they will resolve by offloading Nasri/Navas. Apart from that, deep and well balanced team.

Yes, balanced as in many of them need to be replaced.
/QUOTE]

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=274792.14280
All that and Jordan Henderson still wouldn't make our bench!

Its a great test for us tomorrow. They are usually pretty organised but being at home and with the likes of Arnautovic, Shaquiri will be a threat going forward also. Those players will try and expose the space behind the fullbacks so we will see how the formation copes with that

I am hoping that we are too far ahead after 20 minutes to worry, after those comments by Marc Wilson about their lack of defensive coaching... ;)

Seriously though I hope we can come through this test well. Listening to Pep's press conference gives me lots of confidence though. The way he was able to list their dangerous players and how they play shows how well prepared we will be. I have read all about the preparations he makes but nice to start seeing it with us!

I hope our posession of the ball prevents them from ever really getting comfortable with the ball. I also hope Willy has a fine game as not sure I could cope with the media gloating if he did anything wrong. The way they have spoken is as though he is not a professional goalkeeper!

Oh and I must say Frank I have enjoyed this tactical chat, always nice to speak to people interested in this side of football. The reason I regularly buy FM games as I want to try things or and the same reason I stop playing them after a couple of weeks as they are just not able to incorporate the complexities of real football.

Its a great test for us tomorrow. They are usually pretty organised but being at home and with the likes of Arnautovic, Shaquiri will be a threat going forward also. Those players will try and expose the space behind the fullbacks so we will see how the formation copes with that
I'm not sure Shaqiri will play. He's been injured and had no pre-season at all.

When they push wingers high up against our full backs and we still can manage to pass ball to our wing. It will be nightmare to their FB be one on one with Sterling or Sane.

I am hoping that we are too far ahead after 20 minutes to worry, after those comments by Marc Wilson about their lack of defensive coaching... ;)

Seriously though I hope we can come through this test well. Listening to Pep's press conference gives me lots of confidence though. The way he was able to list their dangerous players and how they play shows how well prepared we will be. I have read all about the preparations he makes but nice to start seeing it with us!

I hope our posession of the ball prevents them from ever really getting comfortable with the ball. I also hope Willy has a fine game as not sure I could cope with the media gloating if he did anything wrong. The way they have spoken is as though he is not a professional goalkeeper!

Oh and I must say Frank I have enjoyed this tactical chat, always nice to speak to people interested in this side of football. The reason I regularly buy FM games as I want to try things or and the same reason I stop playing them after a couple of weeks as they are just not able to incorporate the complexities of real football.

I think the system will work as long as we are proactive in counter pressing before the Stoke players have time to look up and the Stoke players take up positions in the space either side of our centre halves. Its more of a test of our players in the system rather than the system itself. For me the only weakness is if we do not press as a lack of pressure on the ball can allow the space to be expolited, this will be particularly of interest as the season develops and injuries, two games a week and tired legs kick in.

I think Pep has got a lot of people rethinking the game. For tactics the best website out there is Spielverlagerung, if you have not already found it.

Never mind his tactics, I am loving his approach and directness with the players.
Zero tolerance for unfit overweight players and complete focus on what he wants here and now.
Players know exactly where they stand now and can get off if they don't like it.
Power is all with the manager as it should be.
It's what we have been missing with Pellegrini; he was just too nice a guy.

Last edited:
City definitely need to get at least 1 fullback in. The current lot just aren't up to scratch. They've got a big role to play and a lot of the times they're going to be linking the midfield to the attack.

I'm guessing Fernandinho will end up at RB once Gundogan is fit, so a new LB at the very least would be great.

Aguero is the only goalscorer in the side right now. Nolito, although not great, needs to be starting regularly to provide that extra goalscoring threat. Especially when the tactics require the wingers to stay wide and get the ball into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.