PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Fair point. I grew up in Highbury and my dad and grandad were Gooners too, hence my affinity for Arsenal. But you’re right, the younger generation are more fickle and likely for many of them unable to attend games, they support the top teams they watch on TV

yep, my brother became a gooner when city were in Div 2 and you lot just done the double. and we are from Manchester area.

Still goes to City games occasionally when I can't (other than arsenal) and has spent a lot following Arsenal around

Spot on Gordy. Back in 2015, I got the chance to attend a Q&A with David Gill at my old school, which was celebrating its 500th anniversary. I got to ask the final question, which was what were the united hierarchy's thoughts when the takeover happened. His answer was that they took great interest in what was happening at the Etihad but felt secure in the fact that they were united and their position couldn't be challenged. He was very complimentary about the way we were run but then he came out with the now famous remark that "I'm no being arrogant but they'll never be bigger than us in Asia".

That depends on the yardstick you are using to measure United’s competance. Before our owners came along united were doing what they had done for the previous 20 years with unparalleled success. They spent the most money, and still do, broke the world transfer record regularly, paid the biggest wages, bullied officials, ridiculed and belittled their nearest neighbours with not a hint of criticism from the media or powers that be. They put themselves into positions of power (G14) to alter the landscape of football to suit the powerful clubs of the time. City came along with a plan that did not rely on the parochial system of the English game but a more worldly view of their ambitions. Meanwhile united and the other red tops colluded with the media and broadcasters to keep City, and any other club with ambition, down. City’s plan blindsided these bigoted views and 15 years later City are one of the most valued and successful clubs in world football. I would respectfully ask you to have a look at our chairmans end of season interview and you will see clearly how they have succeeded even with all the press and media of Britain and Ireland against them.
United became a very arrogant club at all levels and they are now paying the price for their arrogance. Come on City!

It’s changing rapidly. I (now) live in Borneo, one of my best mates out here is a dyed in the wool Gooner from London. He’s been out here for ten years and has two boys under ten. They’re both City fans.

I volunteer for an under 8’s kids football team at the weekend and the vast majority are in City kits for practice.

I don’t think for a minute that City have more adult fans than United worldwide, but keep going like this for a few more years and they’ll have far more 10-25 year olds supporting them than the reds.

People that don’t live within a few miles of a ground very often support the teams that were doing well when they were young. That’s always been the case and always will. We’re getting our own share of what we used to call “plastics” now, just like Arsenal, Chelsea, Pool and utd have done in the past.
This is only from my experience, but I went to school in Stockport between 1998 and 2010. In primary school there were 30 kids in my class and I was the only City fan. Everyone else supported United. Even kids who didn't like football supported United cos "supporting United" (regardless of whether or not you went to Old Trafford or even watched them on TV) made it easier to fit in. Even in high school when there were over 100 kids in my year, there were 4 or 5 blues tops. These days I can't move round my estate without seeing lads in City tops (and lots of girls as well, way more than when I was a kid). Also lost count of how many kids have the Grealish band or the Haaland ponytail - back in the day it was the Beckham mohawk.

That depends on the yardstick you are using to measure United’s competance. Before our owners came along united were doing what they had done for the previous 20 years with unparalleled success. They spent the most money, and still do, broke the world transfer record regularly, paid the biggest wages, bullied officials, ridiculed and belittled their nearest neighbours with not a hint of criticism from the media or powers that be. They put themselves into positions of power (G14) to alter the landscape of football to suit the powerful clubs of the time. City came along with a plan that did not rely on the parochial system of the English game but a more worldly view of their ambitions. Meanwhile united and the other red tops colluded with the media and broadcasters to keep City, and any other club with ambition, down. City’s plan blindsided these bigoted views and 15 years later City are one of the most valued and successful clubs in world football. I would respectfully ask you to have a look at our chairmans end of season interview and you will see clearly how they have succeeded even with all the press and media of Britain and Ireland against them.
Honestly, I think the Glazers purchase of Utd was the start of their relative decline. They treated it as a cash cow and failed to invest in the stadium, training facilities or in creating a strategy for player development or procurement. If you’re a promising kid growing up in the North West, once Utd would have been your desired destination. Not now. You’d have to be an idiot not to want to be developed by City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.