Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
No. It's because winning the Champions League would be the highest achievement in Manchester City's 128 year history, compared to winning the league for the fourth time in five years.
Ok, so you’ve never prioritised the league as it’s inferior to the CL in your eyes?

Glorified cup competition vs the League? No contest, unless you want to own people on social media,

The pricks of the media would still get their sly digs in until we we had equalled the modern English winners.
It would be unbearable if the dippers caught us from the position this year. So its another PL for me although if we had the CL as a bit of a bonus plus the FA Cup l wouldn't complain.

Yep. Even then it would be "not as great as Madrid". Who cares what they say? The PL is a better indication of a good team, so always that over a cup competition.

PL first then CL on top? Yes, sure.

So three times in what, 25 years of competing it in it?

Here's a better one - Real Madrid?

Different point. Valid, perhaps. But different.

You stoke an evil desire in me to play devil's advocate. So ok, let's play.
As everyone knows, Real Madrid took part in the first proper European Cup, in 1955, and then in every season's edition of it right up to the end of the sixties. They appear to have had a ‘rocky period’ in the 70s and 80s, in which they took part in it a ‘mere’ 10 times. Ok.
Still finding their feet, as it were, only one participation in the early 90s.
From 95, by which time the CL format had been adopted, they have taken part in it every single year up to the present.
So all in all, from ’55 to 2022 – that is, 77 years, they've missed out about fifteen times. They've won it 13 times, but it has to be recognised that a big wodge of five of those times was right at the beginning, when it wasn't anything like as competitive as it later became. In fifty-two years of competing in it, they've won it 13 times. Good, but not astoundingly better than United's record.
Much as I hate to say it, I strongly suspect that the dippers' record, in terms of the proportion of years competing in it to the number of times winning it, probably rivals Real's, and is significantly better than the rags'. I'm not going to sit down and calculate it, but I strongly suspect that that is the case.

Time for us to win it, really, if we're going to start catching that lot. Not that I'm bothered.

Yep. Even then it would be "not as great as Madrid". Who cares what they say? The PL is a better indication of a good team, so always that over a cup competition.

PL first then CL on top? Yes, sure.
I think it would be more of 'just won once, like Villa' or even 'might as well be Celtic' but whatever we do they will denigrate it as if it never happened such as the invisible domestic treble and the invisible 100 points.
Victory celebrations on 14, 22 and 28 May will do me fine and they can say what they want.

Chumps league at the end of the day is a cup competition if Spurs had won it would they be the best team in europe?Scousers would not have won it if had not been Spursy in the final.On any given day in cups anyone can win,best team always wins the league.

Spurs won't be considered the best team as they are always miles away from challenging the league. City are already considered the best domestic side, a CL win will certainly establish Manchester City as Europe's best.

If Spurs had beaten Liverpool, would they be classed as European Royalty?

Imagine Spurs winning the Champions League. That’s everything you need to know how sh*t the CL is.

Spurs have absolutely no chance of winning the PL title.

At least when it was the European Cup it was the domestic league winners from each country in a straight knockout cup competition.

No. It's because winning the Champions League would be the highest achievement in Manchester City's 128 year history, compared to winning the league for the fourth time in five years.

Obviously it’s all about opinions, but I’d put winning the CL behind the doing the English domestic quadruple in 1 season. No other English club has ever done that.How Many English clubs have won the European Cup/CL?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.