Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
It’s not superior, it’s just we’ve not yet won it so the players want it more. If it had been the other way around and we had 4 CLs in 5 seasons but no prem, they’d be desperate for the prem.

Just look at the scousers, they’re desperate for another league win as the league sets you at the top as the best side. To do it over 38 games against your nearest rivals shows who’s superior.

The scousers have had the luckiest draw in that comp I’ve ever seen and if they win it they’ll have done so by beating Madrid in a one off game and nothing else to really write home about.
But that's the whole point, we're yet to win it. It's the biggest trophy in club football and would cement this teams status as true greats. We can't just pretend it's an irrelevance because we haven't won it, our failure to do so is now as conspicuous as a flashing neon sign, and it will only get worse the longer it takes to win.

And this b******t that it's an easy trophy to win needs to stop being peddled. If it were we'd have won one by now, simple as that. It's a monolithic, psychological obstacle that we're yet to overcome. The margin for error is slim to nonexistent, and that in itself is a major challenge posed. Luck doesn't enter into it. You make your own luck in football.

The point of this post (just to explain) is that it does make a mockery of the 'Champions' league doesn't it. Chelsea ofcourse finished lower than us the previous season.

And that is why they don't come into the discussion of the greatest sides. This is the same case with City. Until the CL is won, City won't be discussed in the same breath as the legendary teams of Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern.

But there's been nothing to suggest that it isn't true, either. He was right in what he said, if you canvassed the opinion of all the players and staff on what they want to win next season (if there can only be one major honour) I'm willing to bet every single one of them will say the Champions League.

Oh but there has. The owners, managers, and some players actually publicly saying otherwise.

You are willing to bet on it, every single one? So what? You'd lose that bet. Starting with Pep who had already been asked and said otherwise many many times. From the very first PL we won to this last one on sunday. 'Yeah, but secretly though, deep inside..' na fuck that. If there was silence on it, I'd have no issue with that as an assumption. There isn't, Pep, Khaldoon and others have been clear on it.

Champions League. One to have a taste of it - two to shut people the fuck up about it
But they won’t shut up. They will just say we bought it and that we won’t be seen as a top club until we win it at least three times! It won’t shut them up which is why I am not arsed about it

Centurions Title. The tense relentless run vs L'pool. Regaining it from the mighty unstopabble Lpool team. Retaining it in the way we did without a striker and left-back. Which one of those would you trade for a CL? They are all special in their own way, none are fucking banale.

Imagine asking Pep which one he'd bin. And for what, to shut fucking stan collymore up? Please.

But that's the whole point, we're yet to win it. It's the biggest trophy in club football and would cement this teams status as true greats. We can't just pretend it's an irrelevance because we haven't won it, our failure to do so is now as conspicuous as a flashing neon sign, and it will only get worse the longer it takes to win.

And this b******t that it's an easy trophy to win needs to stop being peddled. If it were we'd have won one by now, simple as that. It's a monolithic, psychological obstacle that we're yet to overcome. The margin for error is slim to nonexistent, and that in itself is a major challenge posed. Luck doesn't enter into it. You make your own luck in football.
Never said it was an irrelevance, I think we absolutely do need to win it but I am just saying the premier league is number one and a better judge of who’s better. You cannot tell me beating Benfica and Villarreal to then have a 90 minute match against Madrid for the cup (a Madrid side beaten in 90 mins by City and Chelsea already) is a greater achievement than a 38 game season where you play all your nearest rivals and the most competitive league in the world twice.

Clough, Paisley and Ferguson all said the league is number 1 and those 3 achieved more than anyone.

“And Mo Salah can wait, if Virgil’s so great why’s it passing on by?
And Jurgen has failed, don’t look back in anger, don’t look back in anger, cos City’s great”

You cannot tell me beating Benfica and Villarreal to then have a 90 minute match against Madrid for the cup (a Madrid side beaten in 90 mins by City and Chelsea already)
That is the consequence. They could easily have had to play Ajax and Bayern instead of Benfica and Villarreal, in which case it would have looked “harder”. On the other hand, why would anyone be against the underdog stories of those two teams that went through just because they hadn’t won their league or were “inferior” is beyond me. The thing that differentiates football from the large majority of other sports is that the underdog can have a great chance with cards played right. The bottom of the table can win against the top of the table.
Some people just seem to not accept what a cup competition, what a final is, and how it is an entirely different thing than a league. You win the league, you were the best team on the league. You win the cup, you were the best team on the cup. Simple as that

That is the consequence. They could easily have had to play Ajax and Bayern instead of Benfica and Villarreal, in which case it would have looked “harder”. On the other hand, why would anyone be against the underdog stories of those two teams that went through just because they hadn’t won their league or were “inferior” is beyond me. The thing that differentiates football from the large majority of other sports is that the underdog can have a great chance with cards played right. The bottom of the table can win against the top of the table.
Some people just seem to not accept what a cup competition, what a final is, and how it is an entirely different thing than a league. You win the league, you were the best team on the league. You win the cup, you were the best team on the cup. Simple as that
The pair of you are twisting what I’m writing now. I never said I’m against an underdog story or those clubs are inferior.

I just said winning the Prem this season for City is going to be more impressive than Liverpool winning the CL, if they do.

I genuinely think City, Chelsea or Spurs and maybe even Arsenal or West Ham would be in the final if those sides had Liverpool’s quarters and semis to win.

Whereas City have had to overcome Liverpool and play all the above sides twice to win the Prem.

The pair of you are twisting what I’m writing now. I never said I’m against an underdog story or those clubs are inferior.

I just said winning the Prem this season for City is going to be more impressive than Liverpool winning the CL, if they do.

I genuinely think City, Chelsea or Spurs and maybe even Arsenal or West Ham would be in the final if those sides had Liverpool’s quarters and semis to win.

Whereas City have had to overcome Liverpool and play all the above sides twice to win the Prem.
Or you can look at Real Madrid and say that if they win, they will have beaten the top 3 of the PL plus PSG with their all stars squad, which is an extremely impressive feat.

Of course ultimately Liverpool had an easier path, but it’s not really their fault. And if anything, they got a tough opponent for the final that will be more rested and with less injuries

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.