Prostate cancer

just got back from 2 weeks holiday tonight to find an appointment for the christie tomorrow afternoon to biscuss diagnosis and treatment, i was told i would be going to stepping hill for any treatment, don't know what's changed
Best of luck tomorrow.

I had a prostate exam about 4 years ago, no concerns apparently.

Might head back to the GP soon....

Find myself needing the toilet frequently, sometimes within minutes of going.
Seem to struggle emptying my bladder, poor flow etc
Generally need at least two trips to the toilet overnight

All possibly related to older age (only 42 though), was told previously just an enlarged prostate.

Reason enough to get checked out again?
Definitely. If you’ve any doubts, get it checked out.

I had a prostate exam about 4 years ago, no concerns apparently.

Might head back to the GP soon....

Find myself needing the toilet frequently, sometimes within minutes of going.
Seem to struggle emptying my bladder, poor flow etc
Generally need at least two trips to the toilet overnight

All possibly related to older age (only 42 though), was told previously just an enlarged prostate.

Reason enough to get checked out again?
Yes. That’s what I was like for years and should have done it sooner.

Anyway after the cancellation the previous week I got a call yesterday telling me the equipment at NMGH was broken so I now had to go over to MRI where I have just sat/lay through arguably the most undignified and uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life. Wasn’t too painful and glad that it’s over.

Hopefully the biopsy results come back ok.

Good luck to all going through this.

my meeting at the Christie yesterday was very positive, he talked me through the two types of radiotherapy and all the possible side effects, and also went through the results of my biopsy he said my gleason score of 3+4 was very close to being 3+3 which is as low as it gets. We spoke for about 30min and in the end he advised me to go on active surveillance rather than have radiotherapy at this moment in time, got a meeting with the surgical team on the 16th and if they say the same i'll go for that, if i do opt for that i can change my mind at any time and if any changes do occur during the monitoring they'll call me back in to go through it and give futher advice

my meeting at the Christie yesterday was very positive, he talked me through the two types of radiotherapy and all the possible side effects, and also went through the results of my biopsy he said my gleason score of 3+4 was very close to being 3+3 which is as low as it gets. We spoke for about 30min and in the end he advised me to go on active surveillance rather than have radiotherapy at this moment in time, got a meeting with the surgical team on the 16th and if they say the same i'll go for that, if i do opt for that i can change my mind at any time and if any changes do occur during the monitoring they'll call me back in to go through it and give futher advice
That's good news. Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I was in much the same position a couple of years ago. Both the radiologist and the surgeon suggested that I should seriously consider active surveillance, and, touch wood, so far that seems to be working for me. The surgeon suggested that it could well be 15 years before anything serious happened by which time I would have been ninety. My wife also asked him “If this was your father what would you recommend?” , and he replied active surveillance. A friend was in a similar position to me but his psa had not come down quite as much as mine and he suffers from diabetes. So he chose radiotherapy on the basis that as he got older he would be less likely to tolerate any treatment. He is still with us and in good spirit.

It's a tough choice to make, I keep going through the pros and cons of having radiotherapy and when I think I've made my mind up I change it again, it's doing me crust in, I thought last night that people always say oh he's lucky they caught it early, but what's the point if you waste the golden opportunity to kill it before it grows, then you think is it really necessary to have treatment if you're never gonna need it and the side effects that come with it

It's a tough choice to make, I keep going through the pros and cons of having radiotherapy and when I think I've made my mind up I change it again, it's doing me crust in, I thought last night that people always say oh he's lucky they caught it early, but what's the point if you waste the golden opportunity to kill it before it grows, then you think is it really necessary to have treatment if you're never gonna need it and the side effects that come with it
Yes, it is difficult balance. Another thing the surgeon said was that some folk don’t like the idea of knowing that they have a cancer inside them even though it isn’t particularly active at the moment. I spoke to a friend who, as far as he knows doesn’t have prostate cancer and he said he couldn’t cope with, knowing and not doing something to get rid of it. OK, after every check I wonder a little about what my options might be if things have developed but generally I take the view that until they tell me otherwise things are under control. If I were.constantly stressed worrying about the what if’s then perhaps I would chooseiu some treatment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.