Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

They have said they consider it human error and that he'll ref his next scheduled game as normal.

It's also nothing like as serious an error as the Liverpool one.
The Liverpool goal was not allowed due to a poor process of communication. VAR thought it had been allowed and as a result of the protocol used to communicate between VAR and on field ref an error occurred. I understand that PiGMOL have asked air traffic control experts to review communication protocol and for sure it's unlikely to happen again. So, although a major error there was an explanation. If it's accepted that Hooper made an unfortunate mistake yesterday then how did he arrive at it
His mistake had many facets to it, that should have made it unlikely to happen, covered on here to some depth.
So, I disagree as Im my view its a least has bad if not worse that the LFC one, which before VAR it would never have happened in the way it did; the Lino would have flagged for offside the ref ( Hooper) would have awarded an indirect FK and Tv would have shown the lino was wrong, this would have been added to a long list over the years and would have been accepted.
Hooper did exactly the correct thing in waving play-on, there is absolutely no valid reason as to why he changed his mind, its not even in the instructions to refs to do so. He also could have allowed play to continue as he originally determined and then rely on VAR to find fault.
I don't want an apology from Webb and his bunch of sycophants I want a valid explanation, backed up by audio as to how Hooper arrived at his decision. Pressure isn't an excuse, he's a highly paid experience man doing a job he's trained for, he deals with pressure like that week in week out

Hooper rewarded with the Dippers game, no doubt will make up for the offside farce in the Spurs v Dippers game. 3rd major fuck up by him this season, dropped for the first 2 with apologies given by Webb, us, nope its City to lets charge them and give him another game with no apology

I can forgive them for their reaction yesterday in isolation but there has been a worrying lack of discipline all season. For Grealish to have accumulated five stupid yellow cards already, Rodri to have got a silly red, and for a general feeling of agitation around the team and Pep is not good.

We need to sort this out, it's not good enough. Some of our tactical discipline has diminished as well.

I agree with clamping down on this sort of dissent... in principle but why does it feel like it's normally City they choose to make examples of?

I must say, I think some of the reactions to Haaland are a little over the top though. Haaland wasn't wrong to voice his opinion that a major mistake had been made that could have cost City points, they've conceded it was mistake now. Protesting at a distance should be fine, showing they care, showing passion for the team is more than ok in my book, players should be allowed to let the officials know when they think they've made a mistake. Swearing, insulting, getting right in their faces, putting their hands on them, surrounding them are things our players should be aware can get them into trouble and is not right way to go about it either. Grealish, Haaland, Rodri could do with trying to rein it in a bit this season(feels like I've seen it a lot more than last season), the last thing we want is them missing games through something like that.

"WTF" in response to a City fan tweet of the incident, shouldn't be a major talking point. The fact that people are attempting to make it one is embaressing.

Last edited:
He’s my favourite ref. Daft to crucify him for one mistake. Got that decision horribly wrong but Jack wouldn’t have definitely scored anyway and overall he had a decent game. Christ people have short memories - there have been some truly dreadful refs at our place already this season. You could make an argument that he’s the best ref we’ve had so far.

Loved the way he fucked the dippers at Spurs and the contemptuous way he dealt with their complaints

He’s still in credit in my book.

If

If when why what we did not win because we hit the post twice and other wank finishing should have been out of sight at HT.
Yes, I accept that but by the 95th minute the score was 3-3 and referees have to officiate according to the rules of the game. They cannot think, "you should be a mile ahead by now so stick the advantage rule if you think I'm playing it now".

He’s my favourite ref. Daft to crucify him for one mistake. Got that decision horribly wrong but Jack wouldn’t have definitely scored anyway and overall he had a decent game. Christ people have short memories - there have been some truly dreadful refs at our place already this season. You could make an argument that he’s the best ref we’ve had so far.

Loved the way he fucked the dippers at Spurs and the contemptuous way he dealt with their complaints

He’s still in credit in my book.
What the actual fuck , must be wumming

This is taken from ESPN's VAR Review, which is written with 'information from PL & PGMOL'

Review: It's not a decision that's covered by VAR, but it was by far the biggest refereeing incident of the weekend.

All referees will incorrectly stop play instead of giving the advantage to the attacking team a few times a season, but not in added time of the biggest game of the weekend when the scoreline is level.

Hooper plays the advantage, but changes his mind with the ball in flight as it is above Grealish and the Tottenham defenders. The referee mistakenly thinks the ball isn't of sufficient quality for Grealish to run on to, yet it becomes clear immediately after he has blown the whistle that the England international may have been through. Hooper's first instinct on the advantage was right, but he's then blown too early to pull it back having misjudged the pass. By that point it's too late.

Pretty idiotic to blow the whistle with the ball still in the air.

Sorry but there's no point in saying 'it wasn't a definite goal so it's no big deal'.

It's a matter of which would any football fan choose given the choice: A free kick in your own half vs your attacker through on goal in open play? It's an easy answer.

He would have had a one one one with the keeper IMO because the defender only got back goal side after he had slowed up on hearing the whistle and I do fancy him to score... Maybe even a late sprint from Haaland and a square pass... We'll never know how that was going pan out.

We do know a freekick from that position was pretty much worthless to us, other than keeping possession. I don't get the mental gymnastics I'm seeing from some blues really. If it makes you feel better fair enough but it was a pretty big mistake either way.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.