Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

Ask the ESPN guy if he can remember a bad decision going our way against Dipperpool and being allowed to stand? Give him the last fifty years to go at. (We did get an offside given against Sterling when he was onside at the Etihad a few years ago, the only one I can remember)

Is it safe to assume that by totally ignoring the question that you can’t give any examples this season of a VAR giving a penalty for a similar handball incident to the Chelsea one?

Screenshot_2024-02-20-13-31-30-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
InShot_20240220_133427535.jpg

An old List from 21/22 season. Struggling to find an updated one.

I'd hope professionality would come into play over allegiance to football teams but you can see how it might subconsciously affect some.

For example.

Stuart Attwell gets an Everton game which could impact Luton.

A few years ago Kevin Friend was removed from a match for that reason.

Is it safe to assume that by totally ignoring the question that you can’t give any examples this season of a VAR giving a penalty for a similar handball incident to the Chelsea one?
Why does there need to be a similar example? It was like a basketball move and, no, I can't think of one as blatant as that. It wasn't only handball it was also a shirt pull. Right in front of the referee.

Could you define corruption for me and explain why a City vs Bolton game would be the match for him to use this?
Well if you can't see that cheating is corruption then I really can't help you..but here goes corruption is dishonest or fraudulent behaviour of someone in a position of power..in a football game a referee is someone in power.
As for whichever game it is, that doesn't really matter..that was the game he admitted sending off a player for diving when he said it was a definite penalty.
He was the same ref who said he gave the rags a corner even though it was a goal kick as he was scared of Keane.

Well if you can't see that cheating is corruption then I really can't help you..but here goes corruption is dishonest or fraudulent behaviour of someone in a position of power..in a football game a referee is someone in power.
As for whichever game it is, that doesn't really matter..that was the game he admitted sending off a player for diving when he said it was a definite penalty.
He was the same ref who said he gave the rags a corner even though it was a goal kick as he was scared of Keane.
I bet all referees have made decisions based on dislike of a player.

What would most people on here do if they were refereeing Bruno Fernandes? Would that be corruption?

Clattenburg is the referee with the most question marks around him. Rightly so as he’s run his mouth off admitting he made decisions based on his inability to be totally professional. It defines him as a shit referee and a bad egg.

I see corruption as someone gaining financial or power reward in exchange for making incorrect decisions to change results. I don’t see any proof of that.

What would most people on here do if they were refereeing Bruno Fernandes? Would that be corruption?

Clattenburg is the referee with the most question marks around him. Rightly so as he’s run his mouth off admitting he made decisions based on his inability to be totally professional. It defines him as a shit referee and a bad egg.

I see corruption as someone gaining financial or power reward in exchange for making incorrect decisions to change results. I don’t see any proof of that.

If I was refereeing Fernandes I would hope that noone could question my integrity as a lifelong Robins fan but it’s safe to say the **** would walk….

& yeah that’s corrupt ;)

I'm not talking about the mad breakdancing flip thing, that's understandable, he's frustrated.
I'm talking about his actions as they hit the deck.
Have another watch of the incident (if you can bear to put yourself through it again), he seems to be solely focused on making sure that his final position after the fall is clearly ahead of Sterling. Whilst looking over at the ref he tries to sort of 'swim' across the turf.

If you've read my other posts you'll see that I'm in agreement with you on pretty much all the points you made, the post you quoted was me simply accepting that I could now see the possibility of why this decision possibly didn't go in our favor.

I'm more concerned about this modern interpretation that "bear hugging at a corner and then forcibly throwing an opponent to the floor in the penalty area isn't a foul if the ball gets cut out before it reaches where you were". It's utter bollocks!
Sorry mate, if I misunderstood your thoughts. There is a tendency to exaggerate contact on the modern game, and I despise it from all players, including City players. I watched Sterling in the clip, and he is just genuinely trying to get the ball. There was no guile at all in his play. He's definitely an honest player, and it would have been very harsh to penalise him for that. Correct decision for me.

Walker initiates the contact. It's one of those where Clattenburg would have done that 'coming together' thing with his hands.

Loads on here think that the refs cheat. “How else can X not be a red card/penalty?”
I'm much more of a numbers man than a words man and this sort of stuff really ties my brain up in knots, BUT (I know you hate random capitalisation:) 'cheating' sort of implies that you're doing something dishonest in order to gain an advantage, and since a football match is a competition between two sets of players any 'advantage' gained is theirs and not the referees. So, like I said, refs can be corrupt but they can't really cheat. Players can be corrupt and cheats.

Last edited:
I'm much more of a numbers man than a words man and this sort of stuff really ties my brain up in knots, BUT (I know you hate random capitalisation:) 'cheating' sort of implies that you're doing something dishonest in order to gain an advantage, and since a football match is a competition between two sets of players any 'advantage' gained is theirs and not the referees.
Not sure that was necessary, but it failed to get a reaction as you showed it was literally for WUMming purposes.

The players gain an advantage if it changes the result in their favour. That’s blatant result manipulation!

I don’t believe that 99.9% of refs are corrupt. Some are easier to be led by crowds and players than others. The top ones should be less swayed though.

My last post on this issue with you as you obviously just want to prolong a pointless debate.
If someone on here was a ref and sent off a player for no reason and knowing that was a bullshit decision then it's cheating and corrupting the game.
In my eyes if you deliberately break the rules it's cheating and if that cheating changes a game then it's corrupt.
He said he sent Bellamy off because he didn't like him but who is to say that he didn't financially benefit from that decision..he's admitted he's a rule breaking **** and it's no beyond the realms of possibility that he gained a financial incentive,
Probably easier to do something like that in a game with little at stake so less scrutiny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.