Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

That’s because neither of you have ever refereed a game of football. If you had, and it’s irrelevant whether it’s a Sunday League 4th Division game or a World Cup Final, you’d know there are many occasions in every game, where the referee is making a decision on what has most likely happened, rather than is 100% certain of.

Of course at the top end with all the help that brings, you can expect the referee to get more decisions right than a guy completely on his own in the park. But the same principle applies.

If the VAR era has highlighted anything it is how many big decisions in football are subjective.

In multiple games in every round of Premier League games you will see decisions where the VAR will stick with the onfield decision, whichever way it has gone.

If you think every decision in football is a black or white, right or wrong call, you’ve not been paying much attention these last six years or so.

I think most of us can accept that referees have to asses very quickly what they hink is likely to have happened, taking into account the circumstances and what they can actually see. The Foden free-kick at the end of the match was a classic case of this. Was it more likely that Foden came from the side, or behind, and touched got to the ball first before taking down the opponent, or was it more likely he either fould the opponent, or touched the ball after fouling the opponent. Clearly, it was a wrong decision with the benefit of slow-motion and different angles, and it could have been costly. But I have some sympathy with him on that one.

I think most of us can accept that referees have to asses very quickly what they hink is likely to have happened, taking into account the circumstances and what they can actually see. The Foden free-kick at the end of the match was a classic case of this. Was it more likely that Foden came from the side, or behind, and touched got to the ball first before taking down the opponent, or was it more likely he either fould the opponent, or touched the ball after fouling the opponent. Clearly, it was a wrong decision with the benefit of slow-motion and different angles, and it could have been costly. But I have some sympathy with him on that one.
Or, perhaps the assistant referee could actually do the job they are paid to do by assisting the on field referee with decisions on incidents they may not have had clear sight of?

Now it seems they just wait for someone in their ear to tell them which way to put the flag up (or not in this case).

One thing I remember on Saturday was the blatant push on Foden as he was breaking forward in the first half. It should have resulted in a free kick and a booking for the Brighton player.

I could see it clearly from SS3 but the ref and linesman who were both within 20 yards couldn’t. Foden was furious but the ref waived play-on. Utterly pathetic officiating.

Last edited:

I'm on row Y in SS3 and could clearly see it wasnt a foul, as could every single person in the stadium apart from the useless **** with the whistle.

I'm not particularly arsed if a ref is shit as long as they're consistently shit but as we keep on seeing game after game this is the issue, they're not consistent Hwang, Kovacic, Konate and Igor off the top of my had should have all been sent off for second bookable offences in the last 3 weeks of fixtures they werent yet Young and Akanji were. While im at it dont get me started on kicking the ball away Rodri was rightly booked for it yesterday yet Mitoma twice kicked it away and wasnt, consistently wank. Cant wait to see what kind of shite we end up copping for next week.

Phil clearly wins the ball and the ref clearly has a good view of it.

1698046916635.png

1698047063868.png

I’ve not watched the whole game but from the bits I selected to look at there did seem to be a lot of inconsistency in the decisions. One point I would pick on as a clear mistake was the offside decision that led to Rodri’s yellow card. Having looked at that by freezing the images I think it was probably onside, but in any event was too close to be considered ab ”obvious” offside to the naked eye and given that var was in place the referee should not have stopped the game at that point. If you stop play for very borderline offside decisions then what is the point of having var? That doesn’t excuse Rodri who needs to learn to avoid giving referees the slightest opportunity to produce cards.

Phil clearly wins the ball and the ref clearly has a good view of it.

View attachment 96459

View attachment 96460

Don't want to be that guy defending the referees but he can't really see anything in detail from there. The only angle to see clearly was from in front and there is no-one there. He guessed foul and got it wrong, imo.

The linesman was on the other side of the pitch wasn't he? And he was useless too btw ....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.