Referees/Officials

But the ref was correct. The rules have changed, and the freekick can now be what appears to be the wrong half. It states this explicitly.

I read it as being to do with the chang ein becoming active. Aguero was offside when the ball was kicked (he was in the Spurs half) but ran back to challenge, thus becoming active. The freekick is taken at the point of becoming active, not where the player was when the ball was struck.

Not for offside though, which is what we are talking about!

Not for offside though, which is what we are talking about!
From the FA website.
Offsides

FAQ's
Q3: The Law now says that the IDFK for offside can be taken in the player’s own half but how can this be correct?
It is correct because:
  • a player CAN NOT be in an offside POSITION in their own half
  • a player CAN commit an offside OFFENCE in their own half if they go back into their own half from an offside position
With the exception of offences in the goal area, throughout the Laws every free kick is awarded from the place where the offence occurs so it is logical that this should also apply to offside.

What if a keeper balloons a kick high in to a stiff breeze and one of his players in an offside position sprints back in to his half and heads the ball in to his own net Jamie Pollack stylie?

I think we can categorise it as some make less mistakes than others although I do think if we all sat down and sat emotions to the side, we could accept some mistakes are natural, that many could make.

Most of us would agree I think that some mistakes are inevitable wherever human beings are required to make decisions. The question is, at what point do patterns become visible that suggests that the wrong decisions are being made as the product of something more than individual error. We all remember the ridiculous statistic of the rags not getting a penalty awarded against them at the swamp for god knows how long. Plainly something was going wrong there, whether it was just the influence of the GPC or something yet more sinister.

For my part, I regard it as inherently unlikely that we would be awarded 5 penalties in 8 games at the beginning of the season and then only 1 in 14 thereafter. When you then actually look at some of the incidents themselves in which we have not got the decisions e.g. the GIFs upthread, you start to question whether that can possibly be the result of one-off errors. And if not, what is the cause?

Something stinks. It stinks more than it has done so at any point since late 2011/early 2012. I'm not sure what is causing the stink, but of the existence of the stink I have no doubt.

Most of us would agree I think that some mistakes are inevitable wherever human beings are required to make decisions. The question is, at what point do patterns become visible that suggests that the wrong decisions are being made as the product of something more than individual error. We all remember the ridiculous statistic of the rags not getting a penalty awarded against them at the swamp for god knows how long. Plainly something was going wrong there, whether it was just the influence of the GPC or something yet more sinister.

For my part, I regard it as inherently unlikely that we would be awarded 5 penalties in 8 games at the beginning of the season and then only 1 in 14 thereafter. When you then actually look at some of the incidents themselves in which we have not got the decisions e.g. the GIFs upthread, you start to question whether that can possibly be the result of one-off errors. And if not, what is the cause?

Something stinks. It stinks more than it has done so at any point since late 2011/early 2012. I'm not sure what is causing the stink, but of the existence of the stink I have no doubt.
Since 2010/11, we've had 52 penalties awarded for us and 17 against, which is the most for and the least against. 16 more than the rags for and 5 fewer against.

I guess it's when he gets close enough to make a difference. If he'd run halfway and stopped, he'd not have been interfering.

Well ye, which is why I the ref normally goes to where the linesman indicates but didn't in this case, eliminates any confusion

Refs rarely get domoted down the refereeing ladder. The last to do so was stuart atwell back in 2012 but he's since been promoted back. Since then others have left or retired but none demoted.

As has been stated, prem refs often ref big championship or l1/l2 games so seeing dean at barnsley v leeds is no great surprise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.