Stephen Ireland

de niro said:
Blue_Times said:
Why do people keep singling out Milner for criticism? Admittedly he had a few poor games but was excellent against Blackpool and was one of the better performers yesterday. His work rate is amazing and his ability to get from box to box is crucial for our game- I think he has been one of our best signings.

great shout and bang on.

agree 100%

ive said it before and ill say it again, the reason people say milner is "poor" is because they only remember the negatives about his game. he is involved in everything, and there is a few things that dont quite come off, or a few poor passes and people slate him. tbh after some of the utter shite on here im surprised some havent blamed him for the first goal!!
but he is constantly closing down the ball and he has 4 assists.
works his arse off every week. him, kompany and silva were the only ones with any merit after wolves.

I think it is a time were Stevie needs this type of management. It seems to be a weird time for him at the moment. Thinking he was going to Villa team managed by O Neill only for him to call it a day. Now with Houiler there he has to prove his worth to him and no doubt he will do. I watched the Chelsea game there and he was unlucky not to score in that game great going forward with his late runs into the box and will come good for them. He just needs a arm around him to tell him whats need to be said. There team today had a defender playing in midfield by sky today at home. It just seems a weird move but maybe it is the kick up the arse he needs. A bit like Milner at the club it seems to be taking both players time to adjust to there new teams which is weird.

Bluemoon115 said:
Like I said at the start of the month:

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191965&p=3671301#p3671301

Bluemoon115 said:
I really feel sorry for him.

I know Houllier really doesn't fancy him, so if he thinks managers have been unfair towards him at City, he's in for a shock.

This is just the beginning.

Blue Peter badge for you

Having read Houlliers quotes, I'm quite surprised at how harsh he's being so early on in Ireland's Villa career, it's a terrible assessment of the lad. Gonna be interesting to see if Stevie sorts himself out or just sulks

Milner's the sort of player that all good teams need. I usually find that when I watch City in the flesh he doesnt particularly stand out, but when I watch a replay of the game he's had a bigger impact than I'd realised.

As for Ireland, to get the best out of him he needs to be played in his best position which is not behind the main striker. His strength is his ability to get forward from deep positions. If he starts too far up the pitch he becomes ineffective.

clubfoot said:
Houllier has slaughtered him in public today. Some quotes:

"He doesn’t defend, he doesn’t run back, he loses too many balls in crucial areas."

"He needs to work harder. We support him 100%, but he needs to work harder."

any links?

graham baker said:
clubfoot said:

"He doesn’t defend, he doesn’t run back, he loses too many balls in crucial areas."

any links?

Here mate :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/31/stephen-ireland-gerard-houllier-aston-villa
Gérard Houllier has delivered a damning assessment of Stephen Ireland's contribution since joining Aston Villa from Manchester City in the summer. The Villa manager accused Ireland, who was dropped for the 0-0 draw against Birmingham City today and remained on the substitutes' bench throughout, of not working hard enough for the team, neglecting his defensive duties and squandering possession too readily.

Ireland, an £8m makeweight in the transfer that took James Milner to Eastlands in August, has yet to score for Villa in six appearances and has struggled for form.

Houllier said last week that Ireland looked "lost" against Sunderland and Burnley, in Villa's previous two matches, but the Frenchman went a step further with his criticism today, when he claimed the 24-year-old was not worthy of a place in the team because of the shortcomings in his game that he needs to address.

"He needs to work harder," Houllier said, explaining his decision to omit Ireland. "He played against Chelsea and did well, he played against Sunderland and it was not good enough to me, as simple as that. He needs to work harder. The skill is one thing but you need to compete.

"It's a difficult period for him. We support him. We back him. He comes to a new club and there's a change of manager inbetween. We will be 100% for him.

"We know he is a good player. But I don't want to have players who you say: 'He's a good player but ...'

"If you say: 'He's a good player but he doesn't defend, but he doesn't run back, but he loses too many balls in crucial areas', that's difficult. He needs to get rid of these 'buts' and be a good player. We put him in at Sunderland behind the striker and he needs to get hold of the ball and play," Houllier said.

Ireland joined Villa after Martin O'Neill resigned as manager but before Houllier took over more than a month later. When he signed a four-year contract as one of the highest-paid players at the club he fiercely rejected suggestions from the Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, that he had an attitude problem and needed to "change his head".

The midfielder made great play of how in training he "worked the hardest of anyone" in City's squad and was "practically always the best player".

Ireland made his Villa debut in the 6-0 defeat by Newcastle in August and has been substituted in each of the other four matches he has started.

Although Ireland's performances have been disappointing, there is no suggestion Houllier is considering moving the player on. The Villa manager stated the importance of increasing rather than reducing his squad when the transfer window opens in January after the paucity of his options were highlighted against Birmingham. "If some players get injured, we will be in real trouble because we are lacking in numbers in some areas," he said.

The Fat el Hombre said:
graham baker said:
any links?

Here mate :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/31/stephen-ireland-gerard-houllier-aston-villa
Gérard Houllier has delivered a damning assessment of Stephen Ireland's contribution since joining Aston Villa from Manchester City in the summer. The Villa manager accused Ireland, who was dropped for the 0-0 draw against Birmingham City today and remained on the substitutes' bench throughout, of not working hard enough for the team, neglecting his defensive duties and squandering possession too readily.

Ireland, an £8m makeweight in the transfer that took James Milner to Eastlands in August, has yet to score for Villa in six appearances and has struggled for form.

Houllier said last week that Ireland looked "lost" against Sunderland and Burnley, in Villa's previous two matches, but the Frenchman went a step further with his criticism today, when he claimed the 24-year-old was not worthy of a place in the team because of the shortcomings in his game that he needs to address.

"He needs to work harder," Houllier said, explaining his decision to omit Ireland. "He played against Chelsea and did well, he played against Sunderland and it was not good enough to me, as simple as that. He needs to work harder. The skill is one thing but you need to compete.

"It's a difficult period for him. We support him. We back him. He comes to a new club and there's a change of manager inbetween. We will be 100% for him.

"We know he is a good player. But I don't want to have players who you say: 'He's a good player but ...'

"If you say: 'He's a good player but he doesn't defend, but he doesn't run back, but he loses too many balls in crucial areas', that's difficult. He needs to get rid of these 'buts' and be a good player. We put him in at Sunderland behind the striker and he needs to get hold of the ball and play," Houllier said.

Ireland joined Villa after Martin O'Neill resigned as manager but before Houllier took over more than a month later. When he signed a four-year contract as one of the highest-paid players at the club he fiercely rejected suggestions from the Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, that he had an attitude problem and needed to "change his head".

The midfielder made great play of how in training he "worked the hardest of anyone" in City's squad and was "practically always the best player".

Ireland made his Villa debut in the 6-0 defeat by Newcastle in August and has been substituted in each of the other four matches he has started.

Although Ireland's performances have been disappointing, there is no suggestion Houllier is considering moving the player on. The Villa manager stated the importance of increasing rather than reducing his squad when the transfer window opens in January after the paucity of his options were highlighted against Birmingham. "If some players get injured, we will be in real trouble because we are lacking in numbers in some areas," he said.

thanks, mate!

clubfoot said:

I think he quoted me from the forums.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.