The British Monarchy

No you're mistaken.

National portrait gallery has an entrance fee and so do parts of the Royal Museums Greenwich. Both in top 20 on the list.

That’s also true of many of the "free" museums in London, when I went to the Science museum in 2019 there were at least 3 or 4 exhibits that had an additional cost (between £3 and £6 each from memory), then there is money made in the gift shop, cafes and restaurants and additional novelties like coin press machines, commerative coin vending machines and photos taken by staff.

I went to the Natural history museum last month and there was an exhibit to see the creatures from fantastic beasts. I didn't go in but can remember adult tickets are £22.

And we haven't even got to the tourist money spent in hospitality and retail in the area around the Museums in South Kensington.

I may be mistaken by saying paid attractions. What I was alluding to was official visits, I.e having a ticket or passing through a door.

There is no way 579,000 people visited Buckingham Palace in a year according to that list. For the majority of people, having a picture outside is visiting.

There is no way of officially knowing but I would bet if they did that Buckingham Palace would be the most visited tourist attraction in Europe.

As London is the most visited, if you visit London you go and see where the queen lives (even though she doesn’t live there) if you are outside or passing in a car or open top bus.

People are paid to figure this shit out and there are studies out there. I’ll link one later. How many people actually visit France for the Palaces versus going for the art galleries, Norte Dame, or the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the decent weather in the south, or the vine yards? What do we have? Chips and gravy, rain and the royal family. 50% of foreign tourists in UK stay in London - why? that place is largely a miserable shit hole that doesn’t serve gravy with chips what sort of abomination is that? there are far nicer parts of the UK to visit.
Haha, Chips and gravy.
Having lived most of my life outside the UK I think I have a grasp on why people visit, they go to see the historic pubs in London, the castles in Wales and Scotland, Shakespeare's stuff in Stratford, the lake district, Edinburgh, Scottish Highlands, Buck Palace, Windsor, Baker st, Abbey Rd, York Minster, British Museum, Bath, Wells Cathedral. All these historic things and more. Not to see members of the RF.
Im still interested where this 500 million a year figure comes from, I dont believe it, most of the tourists would still come for the above, and I wouldnt mind betting that the RF as a whole entity costs more than that.

Haha, Chips and gravy.
Having lived most of my life outside the UK I think I have a grasp on why people visit, they go to see the historic pubs in London, the castles in Wales and Scotland, Shakespeare's stuff in Stratford, the lake district, Edinburgh, Scottish Highlands, Buck Palace, Windsor, Baker st, Abbey Rd, York Minster, British Museum, Bath, Wells Cathedral. All these historic things and more. Not to see members of the RF.
Im still interested where this 500 million a year figure comes from, I dont believe it, most of the tourists would still come for the above, and I wouldnt mind betting that the RF as a whole entity costs more than that.

£500m in this report (2013) https://theconversation.com/fact-check-do-tourists-visit-britain-because-of-the-royal-family-88335

£550m in this report (2017) https://brandfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/1/bf_monarchy_report_2017.pdf

People are paid to figure this shit out and there are studies out there. I’ll link one later. How many people actually visit France for the Palaces versus going for the art galleries, Norte Dame, or the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the decent weather in the south, or the vine yards? What do we have? Chips and gravy, rain and the royal family. 50% of foreign tourists in UK stay in London - why? that place is largely a miserable shit hole that doesn’t serve gravy with chips what sort of abomination is that? there are far nicer parts of the UK to visit.
You omitted Cockernees, jellied eels and West aaam!

You omitted Cockernees, jellied eels and West aaam!

All reasons to stay away mate. Can you imagine be greeted off the plane by @BlueHammer85 who asks you for your “top 100 flights” and bursts into a Chaz and Dave set. No ta.

Haha, Chips and gravy.
I go for the chips n gravy. It’s not enough for the wife though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.