The Labour Government

That is for the community to do though.

If it was as straight forward as you suggest, any good barrister could prosecute the people who adhere to these customs.

They can’t as they are a religious rite. Should someone in that community believe they are being discriminated against, they have the right to challenge that legally.
Mate, that really is tosh. It really is. Discrimination is wrong, period. And many people in such an environment are not allowed to exercise their rights under English law. They are repressed and such repression is wrong.

For someone who seems to like to debate properly, I think you've misjudged this a bit and find yourself on the wrong side of the argument. Surely you can see that.

Reactions: PPT
Mate, that really is tosh. It really is. Discrimination is wrong, period. And many people in such an environment are not allowed to exercise their rights under English law.

For someone who seems to like to debate properly, I think you've misjudged this a bit and find yourself on the wrong side of the argument. Surely you can see that.
Discrimination is wrong, but it’s obvious that that community don’t see it as discrimination. If they did, they would adapt their ways or use our legal system to force change.

They don’t force it on others.

You don’t agree with their law, so don’t use it.

That is for the community to do though.

If it was as straight forward as you suggest, any good barrister could prosecute the people who adhere to these customs.

They can’t as they are a religious rite. Should someone in that community believe they are being discriminated against, they have the right to challenge that legally.
But what I'm saying is they don't and won't. Homosexuality was decriminalised in 1967, has that stopped people from being homophobic or discriminating against gay people? Islam is especially discriminatory against gay people, should we just somehow accept this because the gay man can go to the police if need be? Of course not, we fight discrimination at every corner and any discriminatory religion based culture should be fought against.

The reality of UK law is no person should experience discrimination full stop. Legislation exists against discrimination and therefore a religious based law with its own court is completely incompatible with the UK. At the moment we only tolerate it because we're too scared to challenge it otherwise UK law would recognise their existence.

The greatest advances in equality and discrimination have actually not come through law, they've come through the wholesale rejection of religion and the fact that most people's values aren't built upon religion anymore. Should we therefore really accept the introduction of the worst aspects of a religion and consider it part and parcel of 'tolerance' ?

But what I'm saying is they don't and won't. Homosexuality was decriminalised in 1967, has that stopped people from being homophobic or discriminating against gay people? Islam is especially discriminatory against gay people, should we just somehow accept this because the gay man can go to the police if need be?

The reality of UK law is no person should experience discrimination full stop. Legislation exists against discrimination and therefore a religious based law with its own court is completely incompatible with the UK. At the moment we only tolerate it because we're too scared to challenge it.

The greatest advances in equality and discrimination have actually not come through law, they've come through the wholesale rejection of religion and the fact that most people's values aren't built upon religion anymore. Should we therefore really accept the introduction of the worst aspects of a religion and consider it part and parcel of 'tolerance' ?
It’s a lot of words basically saying you don’t like Islam.

I’m not fond of any religion, but I don’t have the right to stop people practising what they believe in.

Short of trying to “reeducate” all religious people into becoming non-religious, I’m not sure what else can be done.

Discrimination is wrong, but it’s obvious that that community don’t see it as discrimination. If they did, they would adapt their ways or use our legal system to force change.

They don’t force it on others.

You don’t agree with their law, so don’t use it.
This is quite a revealing exchange indeed.

There is one law here in the UK mate, which MUST be applied equally. We cannot have a situation where some faction decides that they don't agree with it and it doesn't apply to them. This is at the nub of what all the sociai unrest is about. Peoples' perceived erosion of British values and unwillingness of certain factions to adapt to our British culture and ways of life.

But what I'm saying is they don't and won't. Homosexuality was decriminalised in 1967, has that stopped people from being homophobic or discriminating against gay people? Islam is especially discriminatory against gay people, should we just somehow accept this because the gay man can go to the police if need be? Of course not, we fight discrimination at every corner and any discriminatory religion based culture should be fought against.

The reality of UK law is no person should experience discrimination full stop. Legislation exists against discrimination and therefore a religious based law with its own court is completely incompatible with the UK. At the moment we only tolerate it because we're too scared to challenge it otherwise UK law would recognise their existence.

I wish Islam in the UK went through the same change as Christianity and goes on the backburner. Cba with devout religious nutjobs who think women should be second class citizens and that their religion cannot be the subject of comedy, it's all very serious.

This is quite a revealing exchange indeed.

There is one law here in the UK mate, which MUST be applied equally. We cannot have a situation where some faction decides that they don't agree with it and it doesn't apply to them. This is at the nub of what all the sociai unrest is about. Peoples' perceived erosion of British values and unwillingness of certain factions to adapt to our British culture and ways of life.
Kind of. Golf clubs have rules, households have rules, religions have rules.

If you replace law with rules and hopefully you’ll see my point of view a bit more.

These are people adhering to rules in their communities. They aren’t forcing it on others.

It’s a lot of words basically saying you don’t like Islam.

I’m not fond of any religion, but I don’t have the right to stop people practising what they believe in.

Short of trying to “reeducate” all religious people into becoming non-religious, I’m not sure what else can be done.
Yes I don't like Islam, I'm more than happy to go on record on that but I don't like christianity either, I actually don't like any religion. I'd question the logic of anybody who likes religion given more people have been killed, discriminated and subjugated in the name of religion than anything else ever in human history. The UK has achieved more on anti-discrimination thanks to rejecting religion and not by tolerating it.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't practice their religion but the problem with Islam especially (and others) is that it is a law based religion. It isn't good enough to simply be Muslim as it is with christianity, if you're Muslim then you have to follow every rule in the book or else there are consequences. Those consequences are enforced with force in Muslim countries and we just need to be very careful that this doesn't happen within UK communities.

I can't believe that we have to talk about this in the 21st century.

Yes I don't like Islam, I'm more than happy to go on record on that but I don't like christianity either, I actually don't like any religion. I'd question the logic of anybody who likes religion given more people have been killed, discriminated and subjugated in the name of religion than anything else ever in human history.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't practice their religion but the problem with Islam especially (and others) is that it is a law based religion. It isn't good enough to simply be Muslim as it is with christianity, if you're Muslim then you have to follow every rule in the book or else there are consequences. Those consequences are enfored with force within Muslim countries and we just need to be very careful that this doesn't happen within UK communities.

I can't believe we have to talk about this in the 21st century and this is all in the name of tolerance which is ridiculously ironic.
Are you advocating making being Muslim illegal?

Kind of. Golf clubs have rules, households have rules, religions have rules.

If you replace law with rules and hopefully you’ll see my point of view a bit more.

These are people adhering to rules in their communities. They aren’t forcing it on others.
No, you've shifted your point, or worded the original one so badly that the meaning was lost.

Some things are illegal under the laws of England and Wales and if these laws are broken by certain factions, then that is still illegal and the perpertraitors should be liable to prosecution. Are we agreed on that?

If so, then whether a community happens to deem it OK or not OK is irrelevant. It is not up to a community to decide if they'd like to confirm to a particular law or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.