The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Fans globally are going to jump all over this. Us in the UK are a mere blip on the radar.
I don't understand this.

Please point me to the fan who enjoys seeing his/her side go 12 wins, 15 losses and 11 draws more than 27 wins, 5 losses and 6 draws.

These clubs will be leaving their domestic leagues to play in the Super League, or they'll be binned off (almost certainly the former). That's the goal here -- it's a replacement for the leagues AND CL, not just CL.

So the European Cup was less prestigious or important than the FA Cup in the 70s?
I'm so sorry I upset you, but I dreamed (dreamt) of the FA Cup final, if you dreamed (dreamt) of the European Cup final, well done to you.

I mean I even remember a variant of 'three and in' was called the 'FA Cup', don't ever remember the game being called the European cup but hey, that was just northern boys in the 70's and 80's for you, maybe it was different in Scouse land after they won it but I'm not a scouser so it was the FA Cup for us.

Don't let it bother you too much though, as at the end of the day it was just my own memory from the dim and distant past.

I dont think it will diminish our attempts to win the premier league because being champions of the domestic league still matters (to us fans anyway), it must surely even tho the rewards will be greater in the ESL - however the huge revenue streams that the included clubs will pocket means that the gap will widen from from the other domestic league clubs

The issue for me is closed shop, we wont have a club trying to break in for 2 reasons

1 - they wont be able to because of the revenue difference
2 - whats the point because they wont ever get in too the ESL anyway

Whats the alternative, the ESL and UEFA CL run side by side but as a rival ?

It wont work because the sponsors will follow the bigger cliubs and drop the CL and uefa like a stone of a cliff

City could still quite easily get out of this if they wished.

All they would need to do is release a statement saying that they had misjudged the mood and feeling amongst the clubs supporters and having been reluctant to sign up for the project in the first place they have reconsidered and will be withdrawing with immediate effect.
Though I agree, it seems they are taking the "we were bullied into this" approach which make that very unlikely.

Amen! Some people I work with are suggesting they would just go and choose another club.

I don't think I could just pick a new team, but if a break away club was formed - like FC United was - I'd be on that!

Or, I'd just declare football as dead, and just find a new passion.
I couldn't support another club either, don't know what I will do tbh mate. At least I've put the 60 odd happy's on ignore, made me feel a bit better.

If enough supporters don't pay for whatever products are on offer, and don't go to the games then there is a chance. My expectation though is that they have enough new "consumers" lined up that losing the traditional fan is not a serious concern.
Where are these consumers from? We struggle to sell out CL knockout games, and NS expansion plans clearly on hold based on the lack of take up for cup games etc, and thats just us. Ok you might be able to flog games in London to tourists, but what about Milan? They don't even sell out their biggest league games now let alone what would be ultimately be a friendly league. You need sell out games to make the most TV money, simple as that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.