Var debate 2019/20

Why, when VAR agrees with the on field officials?

Because the VAR ref is reluctant to undermine their colleague, the ref can then hide behind the VAR decision. The use of the monitors means the decision is back on them, I'm convinced if Taylor looks at that Zaha push again himself he gives the pen as he would be too embarrassed not to.

Because the VAR ref is reluctant to undermine their colleague, the ref can then hide behind the VAR decision. The use of the monitors means the decision is back on them, I'm convinced if Taylor looks at that Zaha push again himself he gives the pen as he would be too embarrassed not to.

You just confirmed what I was saying. This is the very reason he won’t look at the monitor.

It's needs to be either scrapped or used properly right now its a joke as Shearer said 9 weeks and not one penalty awarded or referees going to the side of the pitch. Then only thing it loves to do is find what ever reason is can to chalk off goals.

Why, when VAR agrees with the on field officials?
At the moment the refs are using var as an excuse for not making decisions,it needs to tip back to them a bit,why are they not allowing the refs to look at the moniitors is the question,i would say it's because they want var to be in complete control,that opens the question of being bent in favour of certain teams,we have lost 2 points wrongly by their own rules,they can clearly control who gets what,it can't be right that Coots guy gets fired from the prem league but is back using var,the whole thing stinks

At the moment the refs are using var as an excuse for not making decisions,it needs to tip back to them a bit,why are they not allowing the refs to look at the moniitors is the question,i would say it's because they want var to be in complete control,that opens the question of being bent in favour of certain teams,we have lost 2 points wrongly by their own rules,they can clearly control who gets what,it can't be right that Coots guy gets fired from the prem league but is back using var,the whole thing stinks

Is the correct answer. The problem has always been Old Mother Riley. He has complete control of what happens on the field. He is crap, he is the reason we have crap officials, he is the reason we have no WC officials. He uses VAR to confirm that he has ‘great’ officials that don’t make mistakes. No amount of people on boards like this saying ‘VAR is crap’ is going to change anything whilst he is in charge. It will take a concerted effort by everyone from Football Clubs to the whole media(not just a few - who can be ignored) and OS clubs for anything to change. Otherwise Old Mother Riley can ignore it. Not forgetting, of course, he has the complete backing of the PL (he would otherwise the PL undermine their own integrity).

The sole reason for VAR was to over turn serious ref mistakes, according to the BBC not a single case has happened a 171 games, no amount of embarrassment is going to prove he and VAR have made a mistake

Is the correct answer. The problem has always been Old Mother Riley. He has complete control of what happens on the field. He is crap, he is the reason we have crap officials, he is the reason we have no WC officials. He uses VAR to confirm that he has ‘great’ officials that don’t make mistakes. No amount of people on boards like this saying ‘VAR is crap’ is going to change anything whilst he is in charge. It will take a concerted effort by everyone from Football Clubs to the whole media(not just a few - who can be ignored) and OS clubs for anything to change. Otherwise Old Mother Riley can ignore it. Not forgetting, of course, he has the complete backing of the PL (he would otherwise the PL undermine their own integrity).

I must admit I was amazed when I found out that Mike Riley was in charge of this. He was inept, spineless referee. Like you say, it's hardly a surprise our officials are so poor if he's one of the men at the top!

One thing I don't get is what's the fucking point of having pitch side monitors if the stupid fucker in the middle is being told to not use them?
I’m not fussed about the pitch-side monitor issue.

Why should the on-pitch ref have to watch the same replays available to the VAR? That’s the bloody idea of a video ref in the first place! The VAR is an appointed qualified ref for each specific fixture they’re at, so they should take the responsibility and be using the replays from different angles that they have without the pressure of the crowd or the two teams in the stadium. I think this part of VAR is being used correctly by the Prem refs. We don’t need the pitch-side monitors.

I’ve seen it in action in the Nations League and other European leagues and it takes far too long and is fucking boring and must be infuriating for fans in the stadium who have no idea what’s going on anyway.

Football games are slow enough as it is with all the time wasting and needless breaks in play when players go down and the opposition ridiculously feel the need to kick the ball out for them.

Imagine how many people would still leave the Etihad on 84minutes every week with this shit even though there are going to be 11 minutes of added time at the end.

The ball is only in play for about an average of 64% of the game in football. In rugby league it’s in play for 72% of the game, in a sport you’d imagine would have more stoppages and less open play.
Rugby union is down at 33% and American football is at a pitiful 11%, we need to be aiming for overtaking rugby league not dragging the sport down to boring sport levels!

There are no pitch-side monitors in either code of rugby and the video ref works very well in both sports. “The Bunker” in the NRL is excellent (it’s the VAR room, with cameras on the video ref), video refs should just clear up anything the on-pitch ref isn’t sure of as he’s the one with the replays and different angles to help the on-pitch ref out who’s seen something once, at one speed, from one angle.

VAR should be foolproof. But it’s being used foolishly at the moment.

We should also all be able to hear every discussion between the on-pitch officials and the VAR. They’re mic’d up; so use the mics for transparency of what’s being said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.