VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're missing the point, there are any number of clubs having issues with VAR, that's the point I'm making. After the comments made by Dean and the offside at the weekend, football as a whole has to speak up and force changes. The higher the profile making the noise, the more the media take notice, that's why I'd like Pep to be more vocal and not just him either.
You should be thankful VAR was not brought in earlier, we were robbed in the champions league against you and Spurs, we just got on with it, the rest is history.

You're missing the point, there are any number of clubs having issues with VAR, that's the point I'm making. After the comments made by Dean and the offside at the weekend, football as a whole has to speak up and force changes. The higher the profile making the noise, the more the media take notice, that's why I'd like Pep to be more vocal and not just him either.
Nah mate, you're missing the point.

It's all a big media pantomime pal.
Here come liVARpool, the saviors of football, sorting out VAR for us all. When do we cheer?

City decisions against -

There are so, so many examples mate, but here are 2...

Penalty for Arsenal at a crucial almost pivotal point in the match for a keeper doing what a keeper does EVERY match, EVERY week. UNPRECEDENTED. Spoken about for a week, max.

Rashford goal. UNPRECEDENTED. No comment from me, but the media response to the "explanation" by PiGMol is simply "Oh, isn't that clever, under the actual letter of the law you can see how it wasn't disallowed". The media moved on after about a week.

And there are so many more examples of this.

City decisions for -

Goal against Villa that was "possibly" offside. An actual fucking change of the match laws happens about a fortnight later after the media goes into frenzy mode.

Liverpool cry because they're like the baby that knows it's always going to get picked up and cuddled; City keep quite because they know their tears will be ignored or even ridiculed.

Worth noting that if VAR didn't exist that goal still would have been chalked off BTW as the onfield refereeing team gave it offside.

And that isn't a problem, btw.

There were a lot of wrong marginal offside calls pre-VAR, it was one of the main drivers behind VAR, recognising that it was a very difficult thing to judge. Fans whinged, pundits pointed out the mistakes back then, but no-one in the ground noticed for 99% of the calls. The game went ahead smoothly. VAR should just correct the 1% that are obviously wrong. They should forget the lines, parallax, perspective and absolute truth, if you can't tell it's a mistake from normal video, just let it go.

In this case, it was a pretty clear mistake from the video and so was corrected. The mistake, as we know, was a poor communication protocol. Easy to fix.

And that isn't a problem, btw.

There were a lot of wrong marginal offside calls pre-VAR, it was one of the main drivers behind VAR, recognising that it was a very difficult thing to judge. Fans whinged, pundits pointed out the mistakes back then, but no-one in the ground noticed for 99% of the calls. The game went ahead smoothly. VAR should just correct the 1% that are obviously wrong. They should forget the lines, parallax, perspective and absolute truth, if you can't tell it's a mistake from normal video, just let it go.

In this case, it was a pretty clear mistake from the video and so was corrected. The mistake, as we know, was a poor communication protocol. Easy to fix.
All of the VAR issues are easy to fix yet we still have bad decisions regularly occurring.

Fair enough, except imho Liverpool are only looking out for their own interests here. I don't believe for one minute their sporting integrity argument and, as there is no chance of compensation from this, they will be after something else. At the end of the day, the fix to make sure this never happens again is so easy, it doesn't justify the noise being made.

But you may be right and there will be a thorough review of the VAR implementation and it will be significantly improved. I am not holding my breath though, tbh. Let's see.

the fa and pgmol should literally tell liverpool to fuck off, this idea that they are better than anyone else so must be listened to must be banished and dismissed out of hand, its a fecking joke that we are taking this so seriously because liverpool were on the other end of it, do you think if it happened for liverpool against bournemouth that their would be anywhere near the same outrage, basically the fa and pgmol are just openly confirming what everyone already knew and that is that the istree clubs are reffed different than everyone else

Fair enough, except imho Liverpool are only looking out for their own interests here. I don't believe for one minute their sporting integrity argument and, as there is no chance of compensation from this, they will be after something else. At the end of the day, the fix to make sure this never happens again is so easy, it doesn't justify the noise being made.

But you may be right and there will be a thorough review of the VAR implementation and it will be significantly improved. I am not holding my breath though, tbh. Let's see.
Of course they are, and if it were us or any other club, the same argument would be made.

The fixes that VAR needs are easily addressed, but still we have stupid errors being made, so I can understand the undertones of sporting integrity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.