What bread is everyone eating

Sourdough still contains yeast - just yeast that is naturally occurring in the atmosphere where the starter is made.

Yeah, natural yeast is not listed as an ingredient (or else it would be an ingredient in everything), sourdough only has 3 - flour water salt.

The starter that contains the yeast is just fermenting flour and water.

If you see an ingredients label that says yeast as an ingredient it’s not real sourdough.

It depends on how you class a "starter". There is so much snobbery when it comes to yeast and baking.
Since i knew fook all, i've tried a few different methods.

It can take up to ten days for flour and water to produce natural (air) yeast.
Once up and running it can last as long as you want. Just feed it as and when needed.

You can buy aged yeast starter and do it that way. Again it can last as long as you want.

A quick cheat is to buy some complete sourdough bread mix flour. Use the flour to make your own starter. Much quicker and you have the starter ready in two days.

Just make bread using dried instant or fresh yeast. Simple and quick without the hassle.

Now the thing is i cannot really tell the difference. There are so many variables like room temperature, proofing times and oven types that have a bigger impact. I prep/proof the night before and bake in the morning. So it has time to mature in the fridge overnight.
I've yet to bake a loaf that the yeast spoiled it (apart from adding too much yeast). As long as the gas is being made and controlled, the results all seem fairly similar.

But as with coffee snobs, there is always some who believe if not done the exact way they deem important, then the results are shite.
I just think they have waaay to much time on their hands!

Last edited:
Mainly clean white medium or thick sliced Roberts. Occasionally the seeded stuff. Most brown is dry and crap imo. It actually annoys me that most of the nice fillings in sandwiches in supermarkets and petrol stations come in crappy brown bread. White is just considered good enough for cress and egg and cheese ect.

Mainly clean white medium or thick sliced Roberts. Occasionally the seeded stuff. Most brown is dry and crap imo. It actually annoys me that most of the nice fillings in sandwiches in supermarkets and petrol stations come in crappy brown bread. White is just considered good enough for cress and egg and cheese ect.
I agree about it mostly being dry. I buy this stuff.It's nice and moist and makes a great buttie.

00068721902492.jpg

It depends on how you class a "starter". There is so much snobbery when it comes to yeast and baking.
Since i knew fook all, i've tried a few different methods.

It can take up to ten days for flour and water to produce natural (air) yeast.
Once up and running it can last as long as you want. Just feed it as and when needed.

You can buy aged yeast starter and do it that way. Again it can last as long as you want.

A quick cheat is to buy some complete sourdough bread mix flour. Use the flour to make your own starter. Much quicker and you have the starter ready in two days.

Just make bread using dried instant or fresh yeast. Simple and quick without the hassle.

Now the thing is i cannot really tell the difference. There are so many variables like room temperature, proofing times and oven types that have a bigger impact. I prep/proof the night before and bake in the morning. So it has time to mature in the fridge overnight.
I've yet to bake a loaf that the yeast spoiled it (apart from adding too much yeast). As long as the gas is being made and controlled, the results all seem fairly similar.

But as with coffee snobs, there is always some who believe if not done the exact way they deem important, then the results are shite.
I just think they have waaay to much time on their hands!
Firstly I agree that you can make very good bread using bakers yeast , but it isn't sour dough and depending on how you use your starter it can taste different. The reason why it is called sourdough is that when you make the starter you grow both yeasts and lactobacilli. The lactobacilli generate either lactic acid or acetic acid which gives the slight sourness of flavour which you don't get with yeast alone.

Firstly I agree that you can make very good bread using bakers yeast , but it isn't sour dough and depending on how you use your starter it can taste different. The reason why it is called sourdough is that when you make the starter you grow both yeasts and lactobacilli. The lactobacilli generate either lactic acid or acetic acid which gives the slight sourness of flavour which you don't get with yeast alone.

I agree. But i cannot tell a big difference.
Maybe i was expecting it to jump out at me. Or maybe i prefer a less sour taste etc.

I make my own bread, almost daily. I have a wheat intolerance so normal bread is off he menu, so I usually make a spelt loaf, either white or wholemeal. Taste is slightly more rustic compared to wheat, but nowhere as intense as that of rye.
Spelt is actually an ancient grain, which wheat is derived from, it has a simpler, and easier to digest structure than wheat, but is just as versatile.
There is an more ancient grain, Einkorn, which spelt, & wheat is derived from, much higher in protein, but more difficult to bake with, very earthy & nutty In flavour, I usually mix it with spelt if I use it.
I make most of my loaves in a bread machine, and my airfryer for flatbreads and small rolls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.