Who thinks Hughes will get us into top 4?

i love hughes but im afraid that he wont succeed next year and it will set us back another year. i think im being pessimistic (comes as part of package being a city fan) but i think ancelloti or mourinhio would get us that top 4 we need, even if its ugly football, top 4 is worth it

bluemoon1078 said:
bugsyblue said:
Also Pepe Guardiola coach of Barcelona, about to lead them to a famous treble. Never won anything or managed another club before Barca. He has all the resources that we will hopefully have in 5, 10 years time! Hughes hasn't inherited players like Messi, Iniesta, Eto. He inherited players like Ball, Vassell, Fernandes.

My point is it's unfair to compare Hughes to the top ten managers, because like a previous post says, we're not a top ten team. Yet.

Give Hughes time and you'll see!

Agreed!

I think thats a great point mate! Give him time and let's see what happens, I think we'll make a big signing first day of the window to boost season ticket sales...mark my words.

zak@work said:
i love hughes but im afraid that he wont succeed next year and it will set us back another year. i think im being pessimistic (comes as part of package being a city fan) but i think ancelloti or mourinhio would get us that top 4 we need, even if its ugly football, top 4 is worth it

Ugly compared to what???

Utd & Arse maybe, but certainly a lot prettier than the most of the other teams in the Prem League.
On the flip-side, WBA play some very attractive football.

By the way, in answer to the OP. NO.

rastus said:
It seems to have escaped some posters attention that we are in an unbelievably strong position.

We have made world record transfer bids for world class players our owners want us to be BIG and made our intentions clear.
They will not accept a push for 7/8th spot and rightly so. They have already invested heavilly in 1 season alone and wanting to sign more class players to get us into a top 4 ASAP, they arnt going to play the slowly, slowly catchy monkey game.
We are in a unique position and our owners will ensure we get there, MH or no MH
You've made some unsubstantiated statements there rastus.

After Al-Fahim's wild flights of fancy in Spetember, ADUG were then strongly emphasising it was a long-term project and they realised they needed to be patient. Of course they want progress but it has also been publicly reported that Hughes' agreed target this season was a top ten finish and decent UEFA Cup run. Which he has delivered it would seem.

Next season he will be expected to do better, with a top 6 (preferably 5th place) finish the minimum target.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Next season he will be expected to do better, with a top 6 (preferably 5th place) finish the minimum target.

I doubt ADUG would have entertained the idea of buying Robinho, or Kaka if gaining a place or two a season was the extent of their ambition.

Prestwich_Blue said:
rastus said:
It seems to have escaped some posters attention that we are in an unbelievably strong position.

We have made world record transfer bids for world class players our owners want us to be BIG and made our intentions clear.
They will not accept a push for 7/8th spot and rightly so. They have already invested heavilly in 1 season alone and wanting to sign more class players to get us into a top 4 ASAP, they arnt going to play the slowly, slowly catchy monkey game.
We are in a unique position and our owners will ensure we get there, MH or no MH

After Al-Fahim's wild flights of fancy in Spetember, ADUG were then strongly emphasising it was a long-term project and they realised they needed to be patient. Of course they want progress but it has also been publicly reported that Hughes' agreed target this season was a top ten finish and decent UEFA Cup run. Which he has delivered it would seem.

You have a pop at the poster for his "unsubstantiated" statements... then go on to finish your post off with "Next season he will be expected to do better, with a top 6 (preferably 5th. place) finish the minimum target."

So where is this comment "substantiated"?

When were you party to the meetings with the owners, Cook, Hughes et al where they stated next season a top 6 is the minimum requirement?

If you don't like "unsubstantiated" comments... then don't make some yourself!

moomba said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I doubt ADUG would have entertained the idea of buying Robinho, or Kaka if gaining a place or two a season was the extent of their ambition.
We're both guessing though aren't we? But I can't see anyway they would expect us to crack the top 4 in less than 3 seasons. I'm just looking at what Villa did - 11th then 6th and they really should have beaten Arsenal to 4th spot this season but have blown it. They and Everton will be strong competition again next season and Spurs might actually get back there. Arsenal look to be at a crossroads so 4th could be do-able for someone outside the current top 4.

Prestwich_Blue said:
rastus said:

Not really unsubstantiated, as after the wild flights of fancy of September we then went in for Kaka in January.

Prestwich_Blue said:
We're both guessing though aren't we? But I can't see anyway they would expect us to crack the top 4 in less than 3 seasons. I'm just looking at what Villa did - 11th then 6th and they really should have beaten Arsenal to 4th spot this season but have blown it. They and Everton will be strong competition again next season and Spurs might actually get back there. Arsenal look to be at a crossroads so 4th could be do-able for someone outside the current top 4.

Why are we comparing ourselves to Villa? We've spent as much in a season as they've spent in three years, and we started from a stronger base. We shouldn't be following their path, we should be striving to do much better than them.

Aim low and you'll never be disappointed. I think it's a hallmark of the Hughes regime at the moment, and while it may just be public lowering of expectations I think the club gets talked down and patronised enough without it coming from the inside as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.